What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Warner Archive's new Blu-ray of Rouben Mamoulian's 1933 (released in early '34) Queen Christina is the best I've ever seen the film look.

It has been problematic for decades, with copies being derived from dupes of dupes of dupes due to loss of the OCN and over-printing.

Strange casting with Greta Garbo in the role of a Swedish Queen - not certain who would play it today - opposite her earlier silent co-star, John Gilbert, this is an early sound film from a master filmmaker. It's also my favorite sound Garbo film.

Derived from a 4k scan of a nitrate duplicate negative, this is as good as the film will ever look, and I'm loving every frame - even the dupes.

The gorgeous black & white palette holds up through the generations, with nice blacks and more than enough shadow detail. Film grain seems normal for the era and generation.

DP Williams Daniels had previously shot Ms Garbo is As You Desire Me, Grand Hotel, Mata Hari, Susan Lennox, Anna Christie (both), Inspiration, The Kiss, Romance, Wild Orchids, A Woman of Affairs, The Mysterious Lady, Love, Flesh and the Devil, The Temptress and Torrent.

Does anyone see a pattern here?

He also shot a few other small titles - Greed, The Merry Widow, Foolish Wives and Blind Husbands.

My advice. Grab a copy!

Image – 3.5

Audio – 4

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 10

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Land of The Pharaohs
Helen of Troy
Angel Face
Queen Christina

Warner Archive hitting it out of the park these days!

Speaking of Greta Garbo until now Ninotchka was my favorite Talkie with her but maybe watching Queen Christina for the first time in my life will change my mind.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Land of The Pharaohs
Helen of Troy
Angel Face
Queen Christina

Warner Archive hitting it out of the park these days!

Speaking of Greta Garbo until now Ninotchka was my favorite Talkie with her but maybe watching Queen Christina for the first time in my life will change my mind.
Very different films.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I'm looking forward to this Blu-Ray. I have the Warner Garbo DVD box set, and watching "Queen Christina" for the first time back then I thought that John Gilbert was the revelation, not at all the uncomfortable silent movie star suggested by legend. And Garbo never had that kind of chemistry with anyone else, in my opinion.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
Anna Christie next, please! With a side of the German version with Salka Viertel.

I thought this Queen Christina looked great, but I've mostly ever only seen it on home video and TNT.

The only time I ever saw this (partly) projected was for the King of Sweden at The Academy on Wilshire, introduced by Ann-Margret. It was damned impressive, and the audience went wild over the abdication scene. You'd think that might unsettle the King...

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm looking forward to this Blu-Ray. I have the Warner Garbo DVD box set, and watching "Queen Christina" for the first time back then I thought that John Gilbert was the revelation, not at all the uncomfortable silent movie star suggested by legend. And Garbo never had that kind of chemistry with anyone else, in my opinion.
Well said, sir! My reaction to John Gilbert's performance was exactly the same when I first saw this film several decades ago. I'd been led to believe that he had a thin, high-pitched voice and I was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I'm glad you used the sign above the Time Square Astor theater. That must have been blinding at night. But was it a box office success.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The PR company that now handles Warner Archives messed up.

Instead of new Blu-rays, they sent me old DVDs of this movie, "King Solomon's Mines", "Boy with Green Hair" and "Courtship of Eddie's Father".

And they actually sent me Season 3 of the "Courtship" TV show - I didn't even get the movie!

They'll correct it but I still wanted to vent! :laugh:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The PR company that now handles Warner Archives messed up.

Instead of new Blu-rays, they sent me old DVDs of this movie, "King Solomon's Mines", "Boy with Green Hair" and "Courtship of Eddie's Father".

And they actually sent me Season 3 of the "Courtship" TV show - I didn't even get the movie!

They'll correct it but I still wanted to vent! :laugh:
I'm sorry to hear that - perhaps they hired the wrong temporary help ...
1686419101699.png
;)!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
View attachment 186962 ;)!

My site's not top of the totem pole, so I still occasionally get sent DVDs when I request Blu-rays and they run out of the latter.

Initially I thought that happened here... but then I realized none of these titles were new releases on DVD and it made no sense that I got years-old product to review.

And as noted, I got Season 3 of "Courtship" and not even the movie! :oops:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
View attachment 186962 ;)!

My site's not top of the totem pole, so I still occasionally get sent DVDs when I request Blu-rays and they run out of the latter.

Initially I thought that happened here... but then I realized none of these titles were new releases on DVD and it made no sense that I got years-old product to review.

And as noted, I got Season 3 of "Courtship" and not even the movie! :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks