What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Press Release: 3 Godfathers (1948) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
428639713_816563703842645_6698510444689994250_n.jpg

Coming from the Warner Archive Collection on Blu-ray this March 26th!
New 2024 HD master from a new 4K Scan of the Original Nitrate Technicolor Camera Negatives
3 GODFATHERS (1948)
BD 50
Running Time 106 Minutes
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.37:1 with side mattes
Audio Format: DTS HD MA 2.0
Subtitles: English SDH
SPECIAL FEATURES: Fully remastered and restored 1080p HD presentation of M-G-M’s 1936 feature THREE GODFATHERS with Chester Morris and Lewis Stone, from a 4K scan of best preservation elements (TRT: 81 Minutes), Original Theatrical Trailers for “3 GODFATHERS” (1948) and “THREE GODFATHERS” (1936)
Cast: John Wayne, Pedro Armendariz, Harry Carey Jr., Ward Bond, Mae Marsh, Jane Darwell, Ben Johnson

Heralded as ‘John Ford’s Legend of the Southwest!’ by M-G-M upon release, “3 GODFATHERS” is one of the most impressive collaborations between legends John Wayne and John Ford. The story tells of fugitive bank robbers Robert (John Wayne), William (Harry Carey, Jr.), and Pedro (Pedro Armendariz) stand at a desert grave. Caring for the newborn infant of a woman they just buried will ruin any chance of escape. But they won’t go back on their promise to her. They won’t abandon little Robert William Pedro. Director John Ford’s retelling of the Biblical Three Wise Men tale remains a scenic and thematic masterpiece. Ford adds Technicolor® to his feature-film palette, capturing stunning vistas via cinematographer Winton Hoch, who would win two of his three Academy Awards® for Ford films. Again, populist-minded Ford asserts that even men of dissolute character can follow that inner star of Bethlehem to their own redemption. Based on the oft-filmed 1913 novel by Peter B. Kyne, this Blu-ray™ presentation not only contains the 1948 M-G-M Technicolor triumph, but also as a “special feature” the rarely seen, earlier 1936 M-G-M production entitled “THREE GODFATHERS” starring Chester Morris and Lewis Stone, with both the 1936 and 1948 films each meticulously remastered in 1080p HD for unprecedented quality.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am really happy this was announced. I think this is one of the most requested unreleased John Wayne titles as of late. I am ecstatic for all its fans.

This will be an unpopular opinion...

Saw this film for the first time two years ago. I thought it was a tremendous western, that is, until the baby was introduced and then it just completely fell apart for me. I think my issue was seeing the soft underbelly of these tough characters when faced with having to take care of a baby. A bit too sappy for my tastes.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Awesome news. Not only the Wayne version but the 1936 Morris version also. And only a month away!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Having seen the '48 version in a 35mm Technicolor print from the MGM archives, I can assure you that this will look awesome!
I am also fond of the '36 version, somewhat grittier than Ford's.
I've seen the '29 version directed by Wyler in both sound and silent versions. These versions are even grittier.
I love them all!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Huh - I thought I reviewed this one previously, but nope.

Along with "They Drive By Night", it's a banner day for Movies I Thought I'd Reviewed But Didn't!

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I am really happy this was announced. I think this is one of the most requested unreleased John Wayne titles as of late. I am ecstatic for all its fans.

This will be an unpopular opinion...

Saw this film for the first time two years ago. I thought it was a tremendous western, that is, until the baby was introduced and then it just completely fell apart for me. I think my issue was seeing the soft underbelly of these tough characters when faced with having to take care of a baby. A bit too sappy for my tastes.
For a bad ass who could make John Wayne cry, John Ford had a very soft heart and sentimental streak and I love to see it in the foreground in this film.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Got mine today, ahead of schedule. Already watched it. Didn't intend to. Was checking the disc quality, and got caught up. This film is a whole lot better than I remember. Not sure if it's the 4k scan from the OCN or the vicissitudes of old age.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.