What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Announcement: Tarzan, The Ape Man (1932) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What's with Amazon. Tarzan, the Ape on Amazon states it is in stock and if ordered now can be shipped with a delivery date of 12/15 (three days). Yet my pre-order from 11/17 says I won't get it until the January 24th of next year?

Do you think it will get self-corrected, or should I cancel and re-order and pay the additional $3 to get it now.
Other retailers having difficulty with this title.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Other retailers having difficulty with this title.
I'm not sure what that means regarding what Amazon is saying. I can fully understand the difficulties and why the late delivery date, if that is the case. What I don't understand then is why Amazon states it is in stock and can be delivered in three days if ordered now? The two don't jive.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not sure what that means regarding what Amazon is saying. I can fully understand the difficulties and why the late delivery date, if that is the case. What I don't understand then is why Amazon states it is in stock and can be delivered in three days if ordered now? The two don't jive.
Amazon is a mess but it looks like the WA December titles are in short supply.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
What's with Amazon. Tarzan, the Ape on Amazon states it is in stock and if ordered now can be shipped with a delivery date of 12/15 (three days). Yet my pre-order from 11/17 says I won't get it until the January 24th of next year?

Do you think it will get self-corrected, or should I cancel and re-order and pay the additional $3 to get it now.
Mine was exactly the same though I purchased on 11/28 (I cancelled my much earlier order to take advantage of a CC promotion which took $6 off the price) - and it shipped this morning, said to arrive tomorrow (Wednesday the 13th).

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I was going to wait, but I gave in & pre-ordered it from Wow (£25!), well there's not that many catalogue titles I fancy these days. I doubt if I'll get it before Christmas. I have put the DVD box set on my Christmas watch pile, I won't watch Tarzan The Ape Man this close to the Blu-ray release, but I might run Tarzan & His Mate.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Mine was exactly the same though I purchased on 11/28 (I cancelled my much earlier order to take advantage of a CC promotion which took $6 off the price) - and it shipped this morning, said to arrive tomorrow (Wednesday the 13th).
So, it is likely just Amazon's convoluted method of determining stock vs warehouse locations with the stock vs other orders I have pending to determine how to get it to me under prime without costing any more in shipping than needed.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
So, it is likely just Amazon's convoluted method of determining stock vs warehouse locations with the stock vs other orders I have pending to determine how to get it to me under prime without costing any more in shipping than needed.
I'd say so - though mine shipped by itself which is highly unusual these days with my Amazon orders.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I'd say so - though mine shipped by itself which is highly unusual these days with my Amazon orders.
I also have "Gentleman Jim" ordered, which also states as in stock, but has no expected delivery date. Every other title pending adds another variable into the computation. I guess I'll just wait it out.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Amazon originally stated a January 25th ship date, however, it shipped today.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Mine is arriving tomorrow via UPS, which means it could wind up damaged as most Blu-rays sent via UPS to me wind up crushed :(

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I know some people don't like this, but if it means more classic movies are being released on physical media then so be it. This is what plays on "Tarzan, the Ape Man" before the movie.

1702494729772.jpeg

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I know some people don't like this, but if it means more classic movies are being released on physical media then so be it. This is what plays on "Tarzan, the Ape Man" before the movie.

View attachment 206466
My only issue with that disclaimer is "that existed in our society at the time this program was made" is written in the past tense, as though those stereotypes and biases have all magically disappeared from society today.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

View attachment 206466
I’m glad that the warning does not now contain the words saying “These depictions were wrong then and are wrong today” because we should not judge people for what was done legally and commonly before our time, regardless as to what we think today.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes, I think it's called presentism. You judge everything from the past: people/books/films/etcetera, by todays strictest standards, & of course it all come up wanting. But if it makes this stuff available, then I'm quite happy with any warning they care to put at the start. In the UK, the BBC do this all the time now when showing old programs (esp. old radio comedies), the usual warning is, it reflects the attitudes of the time it was made in, which of course you already know going in, but it's fine...& I'm surprised & happy that we're getting Tarzan...so how does it look?

Last edited:

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yes, I think it's called presentism. You judge everything from the past: people/books/films/etcetera, by todays strictest standards, & of course it all come up wanting. But if it makes this stuff available, then I'm quite happy with any warning they care to put at the start. In the UK, the BBC do this all the time now when showing old programs (esp. old radio comedies), the usual warning is, it reflects the attitudes of the time it was made in, which of course you already know going in, but it's fine...& I'm surprised & happy that we're getting Tarzan...so how does it look?
What’s daft is the way Studio Canal stick a warning over any film made prior to (I think) about 1960. They’ve put one on Laurence Olivier’s film of Shakespeare’s RICHARD III to warn people that the film displays attitudes etc of the time which viewers may find offensive! Sorry for being off topic.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
So.... how was the presentation? Asking for the inner 10 year old inside, that discovered the "Weissmuller" - Tarzan's for the first time way back in ... knock 50 years off and you get the idea. :D Been hooked ever since!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So.... how was the presentation? Asking for the inner 10 year old inside, that discovered the "Weissmuller" - Tarzan's for the first time way back in ... knock 50 years off and you get the idea. :D Been hooked ever since!
It looks and sounds much better than the 2004 DVD. I truly hope this release sells enough units so we can get the other five movies from the series of six films.

1702554467545.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks