What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Movies don’t come much more classic than this great jungle adventure, Tarzan the Ape Man.

Tarzan the Ape Man (1932)

Released: 02 Apr 1932
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 100 min

Director: W.S. Van Dyke
Genre: Action, Adventure, Romance

Cast: Johnny Weissmuller, Neil Hamilton, C. Aubrey Smith
Writer(s): Edgar Rice Burroughs, Cyril Hume, Ivor Novello

Plot: A trader and his daughter set off in search of the fabled graveyard of the elephants in deepest Africa, only to encounter a wild man raised by apes.

IMDB rating: 7.0
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: MGM
Distributed By: Warner Archive
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 1.37:1
Audio: English 2.0 DTS-HDMA...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Weren't outtakes or stock footage from "Trader Horn" used in "Tarzan, The Ape Man"? I am guessing since it is not mentioned in the review that this footage doesn't standout as being less than other footage shot for the film.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Weren't outtakes or stock footage from "Trader Horn" used in "Tarzan, The Ape Man"? I am guessing since it is not mentioned in the review that this footage doesn't standout as being less than other footage shot for the film.
Footage from Trader Horn is HEAVILY used throughout all of MGM's Tarzan films. To my knowledge, the studio did not send a second unit back to Africa for more footage for Tarzan. They had shot an enormous amount of stuff in 1930, and that's what they used throughout.

Here's what I wrote in the review: "Yes, all of that raw jungle footage from Trader Horn is generously spliced into this tale, sometimes matching nicely with MGM’s backlot jungle set and sometimes betraying its artificiality with the use of rear projection to place the actors into locales where they actually aren’t."

Last edited:

Jeff Fearnside

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Fearnside
Thanks for the great review, Matt. Now I'm looking forward to this more than before! My copy has already arrived but will have to wait until after my wife and I finish watching Christmas films. :) And I heartily second your desire that all the other Johnny Weissmuller/Maureen O’Sullivan Tarzans to come to Blu-ray, so I hope this first one sells well.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I just watched my copy, and kudos to WAC, very nice...on this and Gentelman Jim BD both were very well restored but seemed to be missing a commetary for the tidbits of history and context, that kicks up the films behind the scenes bump. I know, in a perfect world, LOL!! Man I miss Robert Osborne !!

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If the extra was a holdover from a prior Warner DVD edition and has been included without an upgrade (for example, a subtitled short cartoon that was in standard definition on the DVD and is still standard definition on the Blu-ray), it’ll carry over. If it’s a newly created extra, or something newly retransferred from film elements to HD, it’s less likely that they’ll create new subtitles.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
If the extra was a holdover from a prior Warner DVD edition and has been included without an upgrade (for example, a subtitled short cartoon that was in standard definition on the DVD and is still standard definition on the Blu-ray), it’ll carry over. If it’s a newly created extra, or something newly retransferred from film elements to HD, it’s less likely that they’ll create new subtitles.

I assume the documentary carried over since it's clearly old and SD.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I assume the documentary carried over since it's clearly old and SD.

The big “if” in that case is if the DVD version had been subtitled; if not, they would not be likely to have newly created them when porting the content to BD.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The big “if” in that case is if the DVD version had been subtitled; if not, they would not be likely to have newly created them when porting the content to BD.

That's a big "dunno" from me. I never saw the DVD so the BD was my first screening of the film! :)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I also have the 6 movie box set, the BD is a nice uprgade from the dvd and I look forward to the others if possible, but I'm not selling my box set until all the movies are released...

Attachments

• 91IulyRCPDL._SL1500_.jpg
    91IulyRCPDL._SL1500_.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 42

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I also have the 6 movie box set, the BD is a nice uprgade from the dvd and I look forward to the others if possible, but I'm not selling my box set until all the movies are released...
Just like with The Thin Man, the Tarzan DVD box set will stay on the shelf until all six of the films are released on Blu-ray (if ever).

Jeff Fearnside

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Fearnside
Hopefully 2024 will be there year of Tarzan and the Marx Brothers from WAC, getting the rest of the movies from both boxsets.
For sure! And the rest of the films from the Greta Garbo box set... and the Astaire and Rogers set... and the two Esther Williams sets... and--okay, enough for now!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks