What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Announcement: The Great Ziegfeld (1936) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1698275731240.png

Coming to Blu-ray December 12th!

NEW 2023 1080p HD Master from 4K Scan of Preservation Elements

THE GREAT ZIEGFELD (1936)

Run Time: 183 Minutes (ROADSHOW VERSION-Includes Overture, Intermission/Entr’acte and Exit Music)
Subtitles: ENGLISH SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-MA 2.0
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.37:1 with Side Mattes
Product color: B&W
Disc Configuration-BD 50

Directed by Robert Z. Leonard
Cast: William Powell, Myrna Loy, Luise Rainer
Special Features: Historical retrospective : “Ziegfeld on Film”, Vintage Newsreel excerpt “New York hails ‘The Great Ziegfeld’” Classic Warner Bros. Cartoon: “TOY TOWN HALL” (HD); Audio-only LEO IS ON THE AIR Radio promotional program; Original Theatrical Trailer

This 1936 Best Picture Oscar® winner is every bit extravagant as its subject: theatrical empresario Florence Ziegfeld, Jr. Said Newsweek, “it carries on his tradition of superlatives: the most expensive actors, the best dancers, the most beautiful girls…“ William Powell gives one of his most acclaimed performances as the legendary Ziegfeld. Joining him are other stars from the MGM constellation: Myrna Loy (Powell‘s partner in The Thin Man series), Luise Rainer (the portrayal of actress Anna Held that won her the first of two consecutive Oscars®), The Wizard of Oz’s Frank Morgan and Ray Bolger, and, in a rare screen appearance, the legendary Ziegfeld star Fannie Brice. Of course, it wouldn’t be Ziegfeld without a parade of tunes (more than 20!), Showgirls (more than 300!) and dazzling set pieces. Most spectacular of all is the massive “wedding cake“ sequence said to Irving Berlin’s “A Pretty Girl is Like a Melody“. No applause was added to the soundtrack of this scene. Live audiences, provided plenty… and still do. Meticulously remastered and presented in its “Roadshow version”, with original Overture, Entr’acte and Exit music, this new Blu-ray release from Warner Archive aptly can be described by paraphrasing one of the many original songs written for the film-It Never Looked So Beautiful Before!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Great to see another Powell/Loy pairing.

I just wish I liked this one more. I'm not sure why it has never clicked for me given the exceptional cast, my love of this era of Hollywood, and how popular it was when it released. Undoubtedly my loss that it doesn't quite do it for me.

Hopefully one of these days we'll see their movie pairings wrapped up via the Warner Archive. We're well past the halfway mark at this point.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I wasn't aware there were roadshow presentations that early on. What other 30's black and white films were given this treatment, if any?

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I wasn't aware there were roadshow presentations that early on. What other 30's black and white films were given this treatment, if any?

I think the 1935 Midsummer Night’s Dream was given the roadshow treatment. At least, the DVD includes an overture, intermission card specifying that it would last 10 minutes (no Entr’Acte), and exit music.

DigniT@DigniT!

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kent
This is the one I'm most excited about. Perhaps imperfect but what spectacular and to have all of it will be a joy. All of the musical sequences are terrific and slightly strange... which is part of what I like about it! I can't wait. December releases are very impressive indeed!

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Finally! Only two more BPs to go! This is a good film. I like it. When I watched the DVD a couple years ago, it looked really good; with a new scan, this should look amazing!

There is a terrific “BIOGRAPHY” about Ziegfeld, too bad that could be in here… but I’m just happy to have it.

Reactions: PMF

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

There were quite a few in large cities. Off the top of my head, and in addition to those mentioned, there's In Old Chicago, Juarez, Grand Hotel, Lost Horizon, Marie Antoinette and, of course, Gone With the Wind.

Daily_News_1936_04_08_page_45.jpg

Daily_News_1932_04_13_page_38.jpg

Daily_News_1939_04_25_page_42.jpg

Daily_News_1937_03_03_page_59.jpg

Daily_News_1938_01_06_page_40.jpg

Daily_News_1938_08_16_page_34.jpg

Road shows were also very common in the 1920's, before the depression reduced the number and scope of them.

Last edited:

Marc Hampton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
I'll pick this up for the beautiful B&W...for the insane Rococo/Streamline/Deco/stuff-the-entire-screen-with-orchids-and-sequins school of production design...and for everything that comes before the Intermission card. (I can live without the momentum-free 2nd half of this film). This Blu was a long time coming... my expectations are high !

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Yes there were many black and white first run roadshow films even in during the silent era. Things like Ben Hur and The Big Parade. Even big films during the teens.

'Straight from Broadway at $2.00!'

'

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
While much of the movie looked stellar, I was a little disappointed that the minor gate weave, intermittent, but obvious, as well as the digital distortions at the start of the 'You Wonderful You' number were not corrected. Warner had a similar problem with Marie Antoinette when they released it on Laserdisc. But by the time the movie made the leap to DVD, this issue had been corrected. Re: Marie Antoinette - still waiting for a 1080p upgrade, pretty please. But I digress.

Transferring The Great Ziegfeld from DVD to Blu, there's no good reason why these minor, but occasionally distracting anomalies could not have been afforded tracking stabilization and removal of the 'edge-like' effects that strobe all over the various couples as the curtains part to reveal the various rooms in which they are lounging. It's not an issue of surviving elements. It's about removing what video-based anomalies were added somewhere in the mastering graduations from VHS, to LD, to DVD, to Blu.

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
No surprise, GZ is another tremendous effort from WA. Beautiful presentation of a major film event.

Sensational and not the unworthy of Best picture as often regarded...watched the new Blu Ray an appreciated it more...if only Warner would give us more of their MGM library that they leave virtually locked....

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
No surprise, GZ is another tremendous effort from WA. Beautiful presentation of a major film event.

Sensational and not the unworthy of Best picture as often regarded...watched the new Blu Ray an appreciated it more...if only Warner would give us more of their MGM library that they leave virtually locked....
Warner is doing more with their M-G-M library than Disknee has done with their FOX library. WB should be praised for their efforts..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks