What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Universal preparing THE MARX BROTHERS and MOVIE MONSTERS 2 COLLECTIONS and MORE for HD! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Has it been absolutely announced that there is no new footage found/included in Horsefeathers? And I did say absolutely.

dirwuf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Gassel
Robert Crawford said:
I respect all opinions even those I disagree with and how you choose to spend your monies is your personal business. As to footage being restored, what footage are you talking about and what length in film time?

By the way, I'm from Fairfield County too. Miss it, but not the cost of living. :)

It's not a lot of footage time-wise (I would guess 3 minutes), but very important....some great gags with Harpo as a dogcatcher, including him fooling pups with a fire hydrant. But more importantly, a key scene with all the brothers in Thelma Todd's apartment is now shredded to pieces with missing lines and jumpcuts....it makes the film very frustrating to watch.

dirwuf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Gassel
Ronald Epstein said:
Has it been absolutely announced that there is no new footage found/included in Horsefeathers? And I did say absolutely.

No...and I hope the report is wrong, but it comes from Stan Taffel, one the most respected and connected film collectors around.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The following strikes me as absolute of there being no new HORSEFEATHERS footage, at least where its current restoration is concerned, but that's just my definition! Other people's definitions and opinions may vary!

Sigh...Joe Adamson just sent me this:

Here's what I found: Stan Taffel says "The splicey section is still splicey. There has been a great effort to locate a nitrate positive or negative or fine grain worldwide but it hasn't surfaced yet" -- The new restoration is simply "4K from the best surviving materials." (Don't ask me how Stan Taffel knows this, but if he didn't, he wouldn't be making it up -- )

CHEERS! :)

brynmill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
mark bale
I suppose it means re-instated footage that has been missing due to damage rather than deleted scenes. So hopefully the full Thelma Todd apartment scene is back in full from surviving prints in the archives/vaults which have not been accessed since year dot.

dirwuf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Gassel
brynmill said:
I suppose it means re-instated footage that has been missing due to damage rather than deleted scenes. So hopefully the full Thelma Todd apartment scene is back in full from surviving prints in the archives/vaults which have not been accessed since year dot.

All the scenes I mentioned were in the original 1932 release...

It is not clear how much was lost due to negative damage over the years, or by Hays Code cuts in reissues, but the film's last verified screening in its uncut form was in England during the 1950's.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
All the scenes I mentioned were in the original 1932 release...

It is not clear how much was lost due to negative damage over the years, or by Hays Code cuts in reissues, but the film's last verified screening in its uncut form was in England during the 1950's.

Hi Bob!

Assuming that HORSEFEATHERS' last verified screening in its uncut form was in England during the 1950's is correct, I don't think the Hays Code can be blamed for that uncut version's disappearance, though it certainly didn't help in terms of other previously complete prints that may have still existed otherwise!

Tony

dirwuf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Gassel
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Bob!

Assuming that HORSEFEATHERS' last verified screening in its uncut form was in England during the 1950's is correct, I don't think the Hays Code can be blamed for that uncut version's disappearance, though it certainly didn't help in terms of other previously complete prints that may have still existed otherwise!

Tony

Of course there was no Hays Code overseas, but what's likely is that Paramount made their latter-day foreign prints from their edited American negatives...and that the English uncut print was an old one leftover from the thirties. All foreign archives and libraries now apparently only have the cut version.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Of course there was no Hays Code overseas, but what's likely is that Paramount made their latter-day foreign prints from their edited American negatives...and that the English uncut print was an old one leftover from the thirties. All foreign archives and libraries now apparently only have the cut version.
Hi Bob!

A good question might be whether it is known approximately when during the 1950's this verified England screening of the unedited HORSEFEATHERS took place? I'm thinking that if it was in the mid to late 1950's, the unedited print could have been a fifties safety print struck from an old thirties nitrate, or am I reaching, here?

Another good question might also be does anyone know any details of this England screening, as it was supposed to have been verified? I'm thinking that there could be some clues in this!

Tony

brynmill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
mark bale
The BBC TV screenings had all the jump cuts, but of course the BFI "may" have a different print in their archives (remember they had the gorgeous print of THE GHOUL several years ago)

dirwuf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Gassel
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Bob!

A good question might be whether it is known approximately when during the 1950's this verified England screening of the unedited HORSEFEATHERS took place? I'm thinking that if it was in the mid to late 1950's, the unedited print could have been a fifties safety print struck from an old thirties nitrate, or am I reaching, here?

Another good question might also be does anyone know any details of this England screening, as it was supposed to have been verified? I'm thinking that there could be some clues in this!

Tony

Tony,

English author Allen Eyles wrote about the missing sections in detail in his 1966 book "The Marx Brothers: Their World of Comedy"....Eyles, who is still alive, was recently contacted about this and says that he hadn't personally seen the footage, and that he worked off detailed notes a friend of his took when seeing the film in the 50's. Unfortunately Eyles had no more info on when and where...and frankly not much interest in the Marxes anymore.

The question this raises is why this person was taking notes....did he know that this was a rare print? But like I said, Eyles was of little help.

Bob

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
You certainly are entitled to that opinion, and perhaps I'm in the wrong forum to be preaching this...but I belong to several Marx Brothers groups that were very excited by the news of a restoration, but when they heard that no footage had been restored, almost unanimously indicated they have little interest in it now, no matter how good it looks.
I really don't understand that at all. If Universal does as much for the Paramount Marx Brothers films as they did for Dracula or Bride of Frankenstein, they should look spectacular. Obviously, everyone would like missing footage restored, but given the shape the existing prints of the Paramount Marxes have been, a restoration of picture and sound quality is still a big deal.

dirwuf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Gassel
JoeDoakes said:
I really don't understand that at all. If Universal does as much for the Paramount Marx Brothers films as they did for Dracula or Bride of Frankenstein, they should look spectacular. Obviously, everyone would like missing footage restored, but given the shape the existing prints of the Paramount Marxes have been, a restoration of picture and sound quality is still a big deal.

Like I indicated above, me preaching this in a forum where A/V quality is the priority may be a fools errand...

To most, the only Paramount Marx film that really looks bad is "Cocoanuts"..."Horse Feathers" has always looked fine. When word of a restoration broke, everyone was excited by the prospect of the missing footage being found...and while a picture upgrade is great, it wasn't the priority for Marx fans...and many said they will be in no rush to upgrade.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I agree a restoration is still great and all I realistically expected. From what I read I wouldn't hold much hope for the missing scenes ever being found. Sources were exhausted years ago and nothing found. The only chance would be finding some collector that didn't know he had it. Since it hasn't been seen with these scenes since the early 50's and wasn't preserved chances are if the missing scenes are found they maybe so deteriorated that they are not usable.

To me Coconuts and Horse Feathers don't look that great on DVD, coconuts is worse but there is a lot of room for improvement on the picture quality for both. The other 3 look much better but could still be improved.

JoeDoakes said:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Horse Feathers is my favorite of their Paramount films. Yes, I worship Duck Soup, too, but Horse Feathers makes me laugh just a little more.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Matt Hough said:
Horse Feathers is my favorite of their Paramount films. Yes, I worship Duck Soup, too, but Horse Feathers makes me laugh just a little more.
Same here, which is odd because Margaret Dumont is not in HORSE FEATHERS, and she's my favorite member of the team.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Like I indicated above, me preaching this in a forum where A/V quality is the priority may be a fools errand...

To most, the only Paramount Marx film that really looks bad is "Cocoanuts"..."Horse Feathers" has always looked fine. When word of a restoration broke, everyone was excited by the prospect of the missing footage being found...and while a picture upgrade is great, it wasn't the priority for Marx fans...and many said they will be in no rush to upgrade.
Our priorities are more than just that as you can see with our Mission Statement below. With that said, as consumers we're at the mercy of circumstances when it comes to the preservation of any film as the filmmaker intended his art to be viewed by us.

Mission Statement
The Home Theater Forum is a place where those who enjoy watching movies in their homes can discuss all aspects of (re-)presenting films the best way they can. These discussions concern the film art itself, its products as well as the technical ways to create a theater-like experience inside a home.

We the members of the forum are interested in the film product to be recorded and reproduced as closely as possible to the way the original creator(s) of that particular film intended. We respect the integrity of all artists involved in creating the original film as well as those who helped bringing the product to a form suited to be used in a home theater environment.

The main goals of the discussions on the Home Theater Forum are to learn and to share: to learn more about the cinematographic art-form and the best techniques to present the films, and to share our knowledge with anyone who sincerely wants to benefit from the knowledge of his or her fellow members.

Discussions on this forum are polite, cordial and respectful. We do not hesitate to express our opinion on matters involved, knowing other members may or may not share those opinions. We will always respect opinions of other members, even if we do not share a particular opinion ourselves. We will not verbally attack other members in a personal way, but instead try to contribute to the common knowledge about, and understanding of all applicable topics discussed.

Currently we acknowledge DVD and Blu-ray as the main, most advanced and most important media for films and TV shows to be (re-)presented in our homes. We certainly will not exclude other suitable media from our discussions, however. We strive for the highest achievable quality (video and sound) to be recorded on disc, to be sold and/or rented in a form free for consumers to use in their homes. We want to advance films and TV shows to be represented as complete as possible and with their full image and soundtrack, as intended by the original creators, intact. We want the best soundstage obtainable in a home environment.

We strive for as many films and TV shows as possible to be available on such high quality discs for both sale and rent. Therefore, we loathe infringements on author rights and oppose the existence, promotion and sale of bootlegged and other infringing product.

We like others to take pleasure in what they apparently do like. We will never post with the sole intention to spoil other's pleasure. On this Forum, we want to feel at home and make each other feel at home.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Even more than the picture quality, I was greatly impressed with Universal's efforts to clean up the audio on films like All Quiet On the Western Front and Dracula. Really made a huge difference in presentation to not have the old static/hiss, especially on Dracula. All of the Paramount Marx Bros films could benefit greatly from the audio restoration angle, regardless of finding missing footage.

dirwuf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Gassel
Robert...

I'm sorry if I came across as flippant in my comments...all I meant was that hardcore Marx fans have been salivating the last few months since Universal announced this worldwide search for an uncut print; the fact that nothing (apparently) has come of it is very disappointing...and even getting a pristine restoration of the rest of the film is small consolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks