What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Universal preparing THE MARX BROTHERS and MOVIE MONSTERS 2 COLLECTIONS and MORE for HD! (1 Viewer)

brynmill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
mark bale
The Hollywood Palace sketch I have seen in poor quality, though Margaret Dumont seems to be having great fun, she does look very gaunt and frail. But it would make a nice extra, and if in the PD could be included, yes?

The preview version of FMTW - seems Universal did a search in the 80s of their vaults but stated they couldn't find anything. Some have suggested that studios like Universal have other underground vaults elsewhere in the US far away from the main studios. So maybe there is a very slim chance.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Amazon France have Blu-rays of, The Son Of Frankenstein & Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman on pre-order for 21st October. They're obviously the old HD transfers that you can buy on Amazon Instant Video, not cheap at 20 euro each plus p&p.

brynmill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
mark bale
At least UK fans may be able to get these if there is a region A-locked only release next year of the new upgrades

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Billy Batson said:
Universal have done such lovely HD job with De Mille's 1942 Technicolor romp, Reap The Wild Wind, I hope they release it on Blu-ray (it's been on the telly a few times, I'm looking at it now). I'm keeping an eye on Germany, as they seem to release a few Universal forties titles.
That would be awesome. Perhaps they could coincide that release along with Hathaway's "The Shepherd Of The Hills" technicolor masterpiece from 1941. Both are Universal-owned films, that look remarkably good on the current DVD's that are out.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Remember the rough-cut of FMTW would have been a raw silent nitrate work print with a separate optical track, also nitrate.

There's no chance it survives.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
brynmill said:
At least UK fans may be able to get these if there is a region A-locked only release next year of the new upgrades
I hope that's not the case, I can't think of any Universal Blu's that have been region A locked.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
with a all the work that is going into the titles listed, I hope that it will materialize into a full fledged release, but the one Frankenstein title I think, no make that know that I am looking forward to the most is Son of Frankenstein, every bit as great a Bride, if someone at Uni had any idea what to do with this, they would pay Mel Brooks to come in and do a full on Special Commentary track, considering Young Frankenstein draws more from this on film, than the rest. would love to hear his insights on what he really thinks of this film

cb1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Well, if Universal is reading this thread, I will be one happy camper to finally purchase any of the Marx Brothers films and several of my co-workers want them also.

Bring on the Duck Soup!

"Monday we watch-a Firefly's house, but he no come he wasn't home. Tuesday we go to the ball game, but he fool us: he no show up. Wednesday HE go to the ball game, but we fool him, WE no show up. Thursday it was a double-header, nobody show up. Friday it rained all day, there was no ball game, so we stayed home, we listen to it over the radio."

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Bob Furmanek said:
Remember the rough-cut of FMTW would have been a raw silent nitrate work print with a separate optical track, also nitrate.

There's no chance it survives.
So Bob, reading between the lines , there isn't much chance for substantial improvement on FMTW and I would guess most of the other titles mentioned above.
There are any number of older B&W films on bluray that don't look all that much better on BD than they do on DVD.
So, I'm wondering if a BD release is even planned for these films considering last years massive box set of Universal Horror titles .

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
LouA said:
So Bob, reading between the lines , there isn't much chance for substantial improvement on FMTW and I would guess most of the other titles mentioned above.
There are any number of older B&W films on bluray that don't look all that much better on BD than they do on DVD.
So, I'm wondering if a BD release is even planned for these films considering last years massive box set of Universal Horror titles .
I don't think he was saying that at all. My general understanding is that Universal has good elements on their Universal films of the 1940s. I think he was saying that there is no chance for an alternate version of FMTW that was never released theatrically. My guess would be that the blu of this title would be a much larger improvement over the DVD than say WHV's blu of King Kong.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Regarding the look of older B/W films on Blu-ray, the restorations that Universal did of the Classic Monsters 3 years ago are revelations. I hope that the restorations for the 5 (of the total 8) Universal Frankenstein films that are not on Blu-ray will be as much of a revelation.

As to older films in general, I can't think of any black & white movie on Blu-ray that was not a big improvement over the standard def DVD version. Of course, few black & white movies are as improved as Universal's wonderful work with the 1932 "The Mummy" and the 1935 "Bride of Frankenstein." Seeing those films look so great would likely have made the 30's filmmakers very proud.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I agree. 4K scans off 35mm master elements (sometimes camera original negatives) will look stunning.

Yes, I was referring to the rough cut of FMTW with Lugosi's dialogue.

brynmill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
mark bale
I wonder if Universal will prepare a new documentary about their 40s horror output, as a follow up to the first documentary about the 1930s. I hope Donnie Dunegan, Janet Ann Gallow and Elena Verdugo have been approached with regards to interviews/commentaries. Fingers crossed.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I have the original Marx Brothers collection, so it will be nice to see a comparison. Coconuts was in rough shape, so I hope they can get it fixed up.

I am all for Shanghai Express, as well.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Ronald Epstein said:
- Began 4k restoration work on “Ghost of Frankenstein”, “Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman”, “House of Dracula”, “House of Frankenstein”, “Son of Frankenstein” and “The King of Jazz”. These will be completed in Q4

YES

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I wonder if Universal will prepare a new documentary about their 40s horror output, as a follow up to the first documentary about the 1930s. I hope Donnie Dunegan, Janet Ann Gallow and Elena Verdugo have been approached with regards to interviews/commentaries. Fingers crossed.
That would be great. I guess most of us feel these films will be released on BD, and they're not just being remastered for HD television transmission. Anyone have any idea when they will be released ?

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
brynmill said:

What documentary are you referring to? Is it on one of the previous Universal disks? I watched all sorts of interviews on those.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Race Bannon said:
What documentary are you referring to? Is it on one of the previous Universal disks? I watched all sorts of interviews on those.
This one, I think:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0214247/

IMDb says it's on the DVD of "The Mummy" (it's not on Universal's 2-DVD Mummy Legacy set though). It is on the "Frankenstein" Blu-Ray.

I just watched it from the Blu-Ray, and it is absolutely great. They use lots of Warner clips and silent era footage in addition to the Universal material.

brynmill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
mark bale
Yes thats's the one, and feature length. But on the BD I think it was SD. Though if memory serves me right, a handful of Uni 30s chillers were not mentioned at all.

Would be nice if they could do some extras like a follow-up looking at the 40s if there is a 2nd blu ray box set.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
brynmill said:
Yes thats's the one, and feature length. But on the BD I think it was SD. Though if memory serves me right, a handful of Uni 30s chillers were not mentioned at all.

Would be nice if they could do some extras like a follow-up looking at the 40s if there is a 2nd blu ray box set.
It is SD on the Blu-Ray, but it's good SD. And they do cover all of the Universal monster series from Dracula to the Wolfman, sequels and all, right into the early 40's. I'd certainly like to see a continuation of the documentary if its quality was maintained.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks