What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Although only a year apart, Boris Karloff, the new king of horror at Universal, appeared in ten feature films between Frankenstein in November of 1931 and The Mummy's release 13 months hence.

Somehow, found in their midst was Scarface and The Mask of Fu Manchu.

The Mummy is quintessential Universal horror, deserves a spot right up there with Frankenstein and Dracula.

Universal has done a beautiful job scanning, restoring and mastering the film for 4k release, and as Mr. Crawford has opined, he feels it looks superior to Bride of Frankenstein.

You'll find some of the usual suspects pulled from the list of Universal contract players, and many who had roles in the other two giant horror classics, inclusive of David Manners and Edward Van Sloan. And then there's an appearance by Noble Johnson, one of the early black actors, possibly best known for his role in King Kong the following year.

I'm not certain how the studio techs got The Mummy looking as it does, as aeons ago I saw some tests of extant elements, and what they've performed here is no less than a miracle.

Basically an image harvest from a fine grain with additional bits and pieces from another, they've taken well-used, dirty elements and problematic elements and created the veritable silk purse.

Image – 4 (HDR10)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 2.0 Monuaral)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 3.5

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I understand that this is an improvement from the version you saw Aeons ago. And its now a 'silk purse'

But how does it compare with the excellent blu-ray from just a few years ago?

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
So has it been established that none of these new restorations have been used for the included Blu-rays, and that there are no indications there are plans to do so?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I understand that this is an improvement from the version you saw Aeons ago. And its now a 'silk purse'

IMO, I have never seen "The Mummy" looked this good on my OLEDs and that includes the 2012 and 2017 Blu-ray releases from below.

1666374921257.png
1666374969059.png

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Very similar to the 2017 Blu-ray. A tiny bit more resolution, but it's minor from a proper seating distance. They've done a very nice (delicate) job with the black levels which is helpful.

I happen to love the film.

If you do, the upgrade (especially since the Technicolor Phantom, comes along for the ride) is worthwhile.

If not, the Blu-ray should suffice.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I guess I'm more impressed with this 4K release than RAH, but it's a no-brainer for me. I still say it looks better on my OLEDs than "The Bride of Frankenstein" which I've done direct comparisons between the two 4K discs.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
This 4K version of THE MUMMY is absolutely gorgeous. For once, gray is supreme, and the insane inky blacks/piercing whites that have compromised many a 4K black-and-white presentation are absent. We don't have to look any further than THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN in the same set to experience a too dark/too contrasty misfire. So it's the Blu-ray for BRIDE, which provides a far better representation of the movie's light and dark levels. That said, it's worth repeating that THE MUMMY 4K is nothing short of magnificent, showing one and all what this format can produce when it's handled properly.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This 4K version of THE MUMMY is absolutely gorgeous. For once, gray is supreme, and the insane inky blacks/piercing whites that have compromised many a 4K black-and-white presentation are absent. We don't have to look any further than THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN in the same set to experience a too dark/too contrasty misfire. So it's the Blu-ray for BRIDE, which provides a far better representation of the movie's light and dark levels. That said, it's worth repeating that THE MUMMY 4K is nothing short of magnificent, showing one and all what this format can produce when it's handled properly.
Very true. Different surviving elements. Different final results.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Very true. Different surviving elements. Different final results.
Amazing that some original elements still exist despite these films being in constant tv packages and video - bravo to them - then heartbreaking to see condition of other studios films === out of the films which one of these horror gems look the best. I always loved Bride love the shot that shows them all in the lab getting blown up before they redid it!

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Amazing that some original elements still exist despite these films being in constant tv packages and video - bravo to them - then heartbreaking to see condition of other studios films === out of the films which one of these horror gems look the best. I always loved Bride love the shot that shows them all in the lab getting blown up before they redid it!
The Mummy. And it’s a miracle.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm very happy with the Blu-ray. I've seen it a few times & it always knocks me out just how great it looks (esp. for a 1932 film), better than all the sequels. I love the film, even though you never get to see a mummy walking around. The first sequel, The Mummy's Hand is the template for all the mummy films that followed. The latest Mummy film (2017) was a bit rubbish, & put paid to the Universal Dark Universe series. We could do with a new Mummy film, gothic & creepy, but it probably won't happen.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Quick question for those more knowledgeable about the film: how late into production was the reincarnation montage cut from the film (I’m sure the actual footage is long gone)? An actor named Henry Victor is still credited in the cast lists as a “Saxon Warrior,” even though no such character appears as it exists now.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Forgettable? Hardly. While Pierce and his work were amazing, he was just one genius among several who made these films what they are, and THEIR accomplishments don't deserve to be diminished in order to praise the makeup work. At all.
It was what the studio was geared to it was in fact their bread and butter kept their studio afloat barely until James Whale started going behind schedule on Show Boat and John Stahl spent a fortune too bad Show Boat did not save the Leammle's and Whale and Leammle Jr wound up forgotten

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks