What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Exorcist: Believer -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
David Gordon Green's The Exorcist: Believer is an interesting film that stands up nicely to the rest of the series. Probably either number two or three in terms of quality.

Shot digitally, Universal's new 4k UHD release, beautifully captures the theatrical look of the film.

Somehow, they got Ellen Burstyn to take part in her original role, and it's always a pleasure to see her. She just turned 91 on 7 Dec, and apparently has a few films in pre-production. I love it!

The 4k imagery is never less than startling. Highly resolved, with gorgeous black levels.

Reference Quality, packed with extras, and with a great Dolby Atmos track.

It appears that Blumhouse has taken over the world of horror.

Image – 10 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 10 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 10

Worth your attention - 8

Slipcover rating - 4

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
"Exorcist II: The Heretic" was more enjoyable!
Very possible. None of these are great cinema. They’re for horror fans and fans of the original, is stands far above its progeny. One thing I didn’t like about Believer was way too many shock cuts/jump scares.

There were none in A Man for All Seasons. Why add them here?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Very possible. None of these are great cinema. They’re for horror fans and fans of the original, is stands far above its progeny. One thing I didn’t like about Believer was way too many shock cuts/jump scares.

I wasn't bothered by jump scares here - actually thought "Believer" relied much less on them than most modern horror.

It aspires to the "slow burn" of the original, and I give it credit for that.

But I think it's pretty pointless and dull overall.

Better than the Gawd-awful "Exorcist II", however. That one's not even watchable for campy laughs - it's just bad.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Better than the Gawd-awful "Exorcist II", however. That one's not even watchable for campy laughs - it's just bad.
You usually hear "it's so bad, it's good" but to me, Exorcist II is so bad, it's fascinating. Like I'm not laughing at it, I can't stop watching it because even after seeing it multiple times, I can't believe it's that bad.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
You usually hear "it's so bad, it's good" but to me, Exorcist II is so bad, it's fascinating. Like I'm not laughing at it, I can't stop watching it because even after seeing it multiple times, I can't believe it's that bad.

I watched it once. Had no desire to revisit it again.

I've heard good things about "Exorcist III" but haven't seen it since 1990 or so, I don't think!

"Dominion" is pretty decent, but "The Beginning" is a snore.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
This is now streaming on Peacock, if any Peacock subscribers want to try before they buy.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I have to admit, I tried watching this streaming recently. I found it such a horrendously bad film I turned it off halfway through, kind of surprised I made it that far into it. I don't think Mr. Green is a bad filmmaker, but I don't think this horror stuff is his niche. I think for his own good, he should get the hell out of it.

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
I have to admit, I tried watching this streaming recently. I found it such a horrendously bad film I turned it off halfway through, kind of surprised I made it that far into it. I don't think Mr. Green is a bad filmmaker, but I don't think this horror stuff is his niche. I think for his own good, he should get the hell out of it.
Then you missed the cameo at the end.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
Mr. Green has become a very bad filmmaker. Halloween 2 and 3 were truly abysmal. Exorcist is terrible. We can take bets on his next film.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I’ll take Pazuzu, Kokomo and Ennio Morricone any day over this pointless sequel.

*Sorry for butchering (actually spellcheck did but I should have proofed it!) one of the greatest 20th/21st century composers name- now fixed. Must have been too much eggnog that day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks