What's new

Press Release USHE Press Release: Universal Classic Monsters Icons of Horror Collection (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My prediction is that at the very least, we’ll eventually get all the titles in 4K digitally since they did master them in 4K and there’s no reason not to try to monetize those assets.

I agree completely that more titles on physical depends on how these sell.
More than likely, but to be honest I'd be perfectly happy with 4K digital releases if that's what it comes down to.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ll pick this set up because I’d hate to miss out on an opportunity to collect these titles on disc. And hopefully the next wave will include these titles:

Bride of Frankenstein
The Mummy
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Phantom of the Opera

i’m curious of those with 4K capability, I’ll be upgrading to a 4K set within this year. For you that stream 4K material from itunes for example, does The image quality really look as good as from a 4K disc? That’s an issue for me in that if you got it, why not take full advantage. Of course owning digital copies you stream is very convenient. No argument there. I only ask because I did notice streaming the new Star Trek shows via Paramount+ on my Apple TV looks and sounds great. But I could see an improvement When watching the disc. So I figure there’s a reduction in quality from compression in order to transmit these files.

With the two 90 year old films, the image looks massively improved on the Blu Rays over the DVD’s. Just looks terrific! So like in black and white still photography, there’s a great grey scale range in the image. I’m assuming with the 4K, the benefit will be there to see that great range of greys in shadows and highlights even more. If I’m expressing myself correctly. And this might apply to Andrew’s question.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
i’m curious of those with 4K capability, I’ll be upgrading to a 4K set within this year. For you that stream 4K material from itunes for example, does The image quality really look as good as from a 4K disc? That’s an issue for me in that if you got it, why not take full advantage. Of course owning digital copies you stream is very convenient. No argument there. I only ask because I did notice streaming the new Star Trek shows via Paramount+ on my Apple TV looks and sounds great. But I could see an improvement When watching the disc. So I figure there’s a reduction in quality from compression in order to transmit these files.

With the two 90 year old films, the image looks massively improved on the Blu Rays over the DVD’s. Just looks terrific! So like in black and white still photography, there’s a great grey scale range in the image. I’m assuming with the 4K, the benefit will be there to see that great range of greys in shadows and highlights even more. If I’m expressing myself correctly. And this might apply to Andrew’s question.
Nelson,

It varies somewhat regarding 4K disc vs. 4K stream. Many times, the audio improvement on such a 4K disc is more apparent over the 4K stream of the same movie. I prefer to purchase the 4K discs for personal favorite films of mine over just owning the 4K digital. Video presentation-wise it has become more difficult to notice differences between the two 4K video sources while engrossed in the movie. However, if I take the time and start doing video comparisons between the two, I can see some differences in favor of the disc. It's not all of the time that I can notice the differences as some times, it's barely noticeable. However, most people wouldn't take the time to do such comparisons, therefore, they're satisfied with the 4K digital presentation. Overall, 4K streaming has come a long way in the last several years.

The same can be said about a Blu-ray sourced from a recent 4K restoration vs. the HD stream derived from the same elements. Case in point, "Last Train from Gun Hill". The video and audio of the Blu-ray are superior to the HD stream. This isn't to say the HD digital doesn't look or sound good because it does, but it's not as good when comparing the two video sources. With that said, if I'm laying in bed and can't sleep, if I decide to watch "Last Train from Gun Hill", I seriously doubt I'm leaving my bed to retrieve the Blu-ray, but will instead just stream it from iTunes.:)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Optimal video, and audio of beloved classic movies on disc is more like a blessing than a cash grab.

Universal has re-released their Monster collection how many times now though. It doesn’t take rocket science to know when something is cash grab or not, especially with cash cow titles such as these are.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm more than happy with my BR editions of these titles. While I don't plan to upgrade to 4K I also never say never so it could be that eventually I'll want these in upgraded editions. Since they are all time favorite movies - all of them - should that time come I'll upgrade without blinking an eye. Is it a "cash grab"? Possibly, but these films have a huge number of fans and I'm sure there are some who never upgraded to BR but *will* go for these 4K versions. The thing is that Universal has improved these films with just about every release so, at least for me, this doesn't yell cash grab nearly as much as those Steel Box editions with nothing new except the Alex Ross covers. *That* was a cash grab.

Glenn C.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn
Universal has re-released their Monster collection how many times now though. It doesn’t take rocket science to know when something is cash grab or not, especially with cash cow titles such as these are.
By your thinking then you can say the same thing about any title that has been released several times. Also, cash cows aren't usually 70-80 year old movies.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Robert, thanks for your thorough reply! Yes, I would bet that the 4K or HD stream from iTunes might look slightly inferior to the blu ray or 4K disc, but you wouldn’t notice. Unless one takes the time to compare of course! When I streamed the Star Trek shows on Paramount+, I didn’t know if the image wasn’t as good as if it was from a blu ray. So you’re right. I didn’t notice until I got the blu rays and did notice an improvement.

About the cash-grab discussion, let me see how any times I bought Star Trek TOS, laser disc, DVD 2 episodes discs, DVD complete season sets, blu ray complete season sets……:). That’s just the original TV series, now the movies have had several releases too. As a fan, if the new releases offer an improvement, I’ll pick it up.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
From VHS to DVD, to BD, each release has been an upgrade of these films. Now we get another upgrade to 4K. It is fantastic that Universal is giving the fans the best quality available for home video purchase. If you don't want to purchase them, that is fine. Enjoy what you have.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
By your thinking then you can say the same thing about any title that has been released several times. Also, cash cows aren't usually 70-80 year old movies.

The Wizard Of Oz, Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, King Kong (1933), Duck Soup, Animal Crackers, Jaws, E.T., Animal House, Jurassic Park, Back To The Future, To Kill A Mocking Bird, Psycho, Rear Window, Vertigo, The Birds, To Catch A Thief, Breakfast At Tiffany’s, James Bond, The Pink Panther (1963), Airplane, Indiana Jones, Beetjuice

I could go on and on, but I think you get the point.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Wizard Of Oz, Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, King Kong (1933), Duck Soup, Animal Crackers, Jaws, E.T., Animal House, Jurassic Park, Back To The Future, To Kill A Mocking Bird, Psycho, Rear Window, Vertigo, The Birds, To Catch A Thief, Breakfast At Tiffany’s, James Bond, The Pink Panther (1963), Airplane, Indiana Jones, Beetjuice

Didn't that poster and others have stated that several movies have been released several times? I think you missed their point!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Didn't that poster and others have stated that several movies have been released several times? I think you missed their point!

All of those titles I mention are the very definition of cash cow.

Merriam Webster: One regarded or exploited as a reliable source of money.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
All of those titles I mention are the very definition of cash cow.

Merriam Webster: One regarded or exploited as a reliable source of money.
Hell, you can say that about many movies released on disc or digital. Again, if you don't want to buy these discs then don't buy them.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

I just watched Jaws in 4K recently. Buying that movie in 4K was a pleasure. The only way Jaws could look better is with a better display. I was glad to fork up my money for it.

King Kong (the original) in blu ray was wonderful with a boatload of quality extras.

I believe you have now entered the realm of thread crapping.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
If releasing classic movies on 4K discs is a cash grab, I hope the studios don’t tire of grabbing cash. They can certainly take mine. I love Frankenstein (one of my first laserdiscs, which was a revelation for the time) and am delighted to see The Invisible Man included in the first batch. At least one person is fired up about this set.

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
Based on limited examples, I am guessing Universal considers 4 films in 4K box set to be the way to go as both this set and the Hitchcock set were both 4 film sets while they are only a few of the possible films that could have been included ie 30 for Universal Horror and 14 for the Universal controlled Hitchcock.

By the way how many copies of a 4K version of "Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein " will be included in a future box set if Universal releases individual monster box sets and then a big box set with all the individual monster box sets as they did for both DVD and blu ray.
Well, if there's a 4K release of Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein, I hope someone tells U to open the titles to full-frame and abandon the needless, infuriating window boxing which causes a crappy projection presentation. The days of CRT overscan are long gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks