What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release USHE Press Release: Universal Classic Monsters Icons of Horror Collection (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some of you know where my stance with 4K is, but for these B&W classics form the 30’s and 40’s how is 4K going to improve the image quality? can’t you only improve something only so far?
What is your stance with 4K discs?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Based on limited examples, I am guessing Universal considers 4 films in 4K box set to be the way to go as both this set and the Hitchcock set were both 4 film sets while they are only a few of the possible films that could have been included ie 30 for Universal Horror and 14 for the Universal controlled Hitchcock.

By the way how many copies of a 4K version of "Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein " will be included in a future box set if Universal releases individual monster box sets and then a big box set with all the individual monster box sets as they did for both DVD and blu ray.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
By the way how many copies of a 4K version of "Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein " will be included in a future box set if Universal releases individual monster box sets and then a big box set with all the individual monster box sets as they did for both DVD and blu ray.

And what if the 4K set includes both 4K and BD discs? :D

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Out of those four, I'd only be interested in Frankenstein, in fact (confession time) I prefer the sequels (with a glass or two of wine). Maybe in a few years time we'll have the lot in 4K, I'd be interested in that box set.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I think my Blu-ray set will be just fine until Universal releases ALL of these films together in a complete 4K box.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think my Blu-ray set will be just fine until Universal releases ALL of these films together in a complete 4K box.
I'd be surprised if they do physical 4K releases beyond the flagship titles for the Universal Monster movies. A UHD of The Mummy's Curse? I'd love that but tragically, I'm in a minority. However, I would have said the same thing about Blu-rays of the monster sequels back in 2011 and I would have been very wrong.

Personally, the best I'm hoping for is that this sells well enough that next year, they do a box set with the other four titles that were in the Blu-ray set.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'd be surprised if they do physical 4K releases beyond the flagship titles for the Universal Monster movies. A UHD of The Mummy's Curse? I'd love that but tragically, I'm in a minority. However, I would have said the same thing about Blu-rays of those movies back in 2011 and I would have been very wrong.

Personally, the best I'm hoping for is that this sells well enough that next year, they do a box set with the other four titles that were in the Blu-ray set.

My prediction is that at the very least, we’ll eventually get all the titles in 4K digitally since they did master them in 4K and there’s no reason not to try to monetize those assets.

I agree completely that more titles on physical depends on how these sell.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
And I’m noticing quite a bit of non-excitement for these titles and that includes me. I’m surprising myself.

Same. The last monsters set on BD came out in what, 2018? 2019? I feel like I just finished collecting the last round and it’s harder to summon the enthusiasm to continue. I haven’t fully upgraded to 4K in my home yet either. I’m not against it by any means but with limited time and limited budget, these days “enjoying the collection I’ve built” is winning out over “rebuilding collection in new format”. I’m glad these upgrades are happening but it’s not really feasible for me join in on the party right now.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I have been very lucky in my decades of collecting - I have never once had a studio grab my cash. I’ve always voluntarily given it to them if a reissue offered some sort of upgrade I felt was worthwhile .
These will be hard to resist so I will likely buy them, because if even 35% of the potential 4K buyers decide to wait for a bigger box, we won’t see it. Let’s face it - the 4K market is not the dominant share of physical media.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks