What's new

Press Release USHE Press Release: Universal Classic Monsters Icons of Horror Collection (4k UHD) (2 Viewers)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering in one of the Universal monsters threads if the Spanish language version of Dracula would be included in 4K and according to The Digital Bits, it will be.

We’ve got one more piece of Ultra HD news for you today: I’ve confirmed with Universal that their forthcoming Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection (due on 10/5) will include both the original and Spanish-language versions of Dracula (1931) in actual 4K. So in the event you were wondering about this, there you go.

Thumbs up to Universal because I didn't really expect it to be in 4K.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

gruv.com which is sort of like the late WBshop for Universal media has the set for $54.99 with free shipping .
I have read others have ordered from them without a problem. I personally have not ordered from them.
Use GRUVLOYAL20 Code for 20% off which takes $11 off the price and works on preorder. That makes price $43.99 but tax
is on the pre coupon price, I guess except in Connecticut .

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
To mark their 90th Anniverary a Dracula/Frankenstein Double Feature will screen in theaters as a Fathom event on Saturday October 2, 2021.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Did a quick projection comparison between the 4K UHD and the blu-rays from the Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection from 2012. I preferred the blu-ray versions of Dracula and Frankenstein, as the UHD versions just added grain and were darker than the blu-rays. However, the UHD version of The Invisible Man and, especially, The Wolf Man were better masters than the blu-ray versions, with more detail visible and less digital filtering.

IMG_5755.jpg IMG_5758.jpg
IMG_5762.jpg IMG_5761.jpg IMG_5765.jpg IMG_5766.jpg IMG_5772.jpg IMG_5771.jpg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I won't be getting them. I'm Satisfied and Happy with the Bluray's. They are Plenty good enough. :)

This is my mindset at the moment.

I feel burned by having to buy two very expensive boxed sets of the original Monsters Classic release because Universal decided to throw in an exclusive 3D feature on the second set.

Now I'm considering buying this for a third time? That's tough. I know I can have it for about $50 shipped through GRUV (though it now lists as being out of stock), but the Blu-rays look exceptional enough for me right now.

If this set drops to $40 on Amazon at some point -- and it should -- I'll snatch it up then

Patrick*R

Agent
Real Name
Patrick
Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection Blu-rayThis is my mindset at the moment.

I feel burned by having to buy two very expensive boxed sets of the original Monsters Classic release because Universal decided to throw in an exclusive 3D feature on the second set.

Now I'm considering buying this for a third time? That's tough. I know I can have it for about $50 shipped through GRUV (though it now lists as being out of stock), but the Blu-rays look exceptional enough for me right now.

If this set drops to $40 on Amazon at some point -- and it should -- I'll snatch it up then

I'm not understanding what you mean. Are you just talking about Blu-rays? There was an 8-film Essential set, the 5 Legacy sets that focused on the Individual characters (with the exception of the "Phantom of the Opera"), and then there was a 30-film Complete set.

The only extra 3D film was "Revenge of the Creature," which was available in both the 30-film Complete set and "Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection."

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm not understanding what you mean. Are you just talking about Blu-rays? There was an 8-film Essential set, the 5 Legacy sets that focused on the Individual characters (with the exception of the "Phantom of the Opera"), and then there was a 30-film Complete set.

The only extra 3D film was "Revenge of the Creature," which was available in both the 30-film Complete set and "Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection."

I was mistaken. I thought the reason I had to buy it twice was because of THE CREATURE in 3D

I ended up getting the complete set for the other films.

Patrick*R

Agent
Real Name
Patrick
I was mistaken. I thought the reason I had to buy it twice was because of THE CREATURE in 3D

I ended up getting the complete set for the other films.
I'm waiting on the delivery of the 4k set today, so I haven't been able to directly compare the BDs vs UHDs. I do own the iTunes 4K versions of Frankenstein and The Invisible Man. On my setup, there wasn't a big distinction between the streaming 4k ones and Blu-ray versions. So, maybe holding off until they drop in price, or not buying them at all, is the right decision for you.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm waiting on the delivery of the 4k set today, so I haven't been able to directly compare the BDs vs UHDs. I do own the iTunes 4K versions of Frankenstein and The Invisible Man. On my setup, there wasn't a big distinction between the streaming 4k ones and Blu-ray versions. So, maybe holding off until they drop in price, or not buying them at all, is the right decision for you.
I just watched "The Invisible Man" 4K disc and it looked much better than the Blu-ray to me.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Did a quick projection comparison between the 4K UHD and the blu-rays from the Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection from 2012. I preferred the blu-ray versions of Dracula and Frankenstein, as the UHD versions just added grain and were darker than the blu-rays. However, the UHD version of The Invisible Man and, especially, The Wolf Man were better masters than the blu-ray versions, with more detail visible and less digital filtering.

View attachment 115090 View attachment 115091

Just curious -- I know they're just snapshots, but how do you account for the remarkable color difference between the two, which is clearly seen in every one of these comparisons?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
That purple cast doesn't represent what either version of Dracula looks like on my system.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Just curious -- I know they're just snapshots, but how do you account for the remarkable color difference between the two, which is clearly seen in every one of these comparisons?
These amateurish snapshots do take on a different hue - its just an older iPhone and the way it processes pictures taken in low light. There's no purple cast. It was just to give a rough impression, as no one else had at that time posted any thoughts on these discs. In reality, the UHD picture is darker than the blu-ray, which has a lighter, warmer appearance. I expect that the UHD tone and colour would look quite different on a OLED monitor. The improvement in detail and absence of DNR artefacts on the UHDs of The Wolfman and The Invisible Man are much more apparent on a larger screen. I'm sure the gentlemen at Caps-a-holic are working on some proper screen captures at this moment!

brynmill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
mark bale
My gripe with releases like this is why do they include BD discs WITH the 4k Discs. Same with regular bluray releases that include DVD discs of the same titles and promote them as "dual format" Dont they release that people like me then just give away the unwanted DVD discs to friends. So if I bought this Universal set, I would give away the original bluray editions, and the bluray discs included in this set. A waste of resources, and dropping this action would bring the price down for fans

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
Well, it’s useful for people like me who (money permitting) plan to switch to 4K projection in a couple of years time but want to futureproof what they’re buying now.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Looking at this a year later and my finger is hovering over the "order" button. Gruv.com has it for $40 plus they have promo codes galore. These are my favorites of the classic Universals (I consider the original Frankenstein a better horror film than Bride) and I'm sure would look smashing. But I have the blu rays already and then I'd be saddled with another 4 from these sets. The last friend I have who loves these films already has the blus, so I wanna drop $40? It's only ten bucks a flick in 4k....
Oy...

Robert Saccone

Premium
Looking at this a year later and my finger is hovering over the "order" button. Gruv.com has it for $40 plus they have promo codes galore. These are my favorites of the classic Universals (I consider the original Frankenstein a better horror film than Bride) and I'm sure would look smashing. But I have the blu rays already and then I'd be saddled with another 4 from these sets. The last friend I have who loves these films already has the blus, so I wanna drop $40? It's only ten bucks a flick in 4k....
Oy...
I am devoted fan of these movies and I was on the fence about getting this last year as I was unsure about how what the differences in 4K would be. In the end while there are some issues with the 4K Frankenstein (which I believe are listed in this thread), I am glad I pulled the trigger. The Wolfman looks fantastic.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
My gripe with releases like this is why do they include BD discs WITH the 4k Discs. Same with regular bluray releases that include DVD discs of the same titles and promote them as "dual format" Dont they release that people like me then just give away the unwanted DVD discs to friends. So if I bought this Universal set, I would give away the original bluray editions, and the bluray discs included in this set. A waste of resources, and dropping this action would bring the price down for fans
When a 4K UHD is too dark, a frequent complaint/inconvenient truth, the Blu-ray equivalent can salvage a screening. Sometimes the insanely extreme lights and darks of a 4K b/w make it appear as if all the silver has been drained out of the silver screen (e.g. FRANKENSTEIN and DRACULA). When 4K gets it right (THE INVISIBLE MAN, the Leone westerns from Kino), it can be a thing of astonishing beauty. But it's always a crap shoot. Nice to have the less extreme BDs around as a back-up... an occasionally necessary back-up.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Just wanted to bump this thread to acknowledge the passing of David J. Skal, who produced documentaries and provided commentaries for a number of the classic Universal Monsters films on DVD (and carried over to Blu-ray and UHD). He was killed in a tragic car accident on New Year's Day.

His books, such as THE MONSTER SHOW and HOLLYWOOD GOTHIC, were very influential and highly regarded in the realm of film history and scholarship. He will definitely be missed.

Robert Saccone

Premium
Just wanted to bump this thread to acknowledge the passing of David J. Skal, who produced documentaries and provided commentaries for a number of the classic Universal Monsters films on DVD (and carried over to Blu-ray and UHD). He was killed in a tragic car accident on New Year's Day.

His books, such as THE MONSTER SHOW and HOLLYWOOD GOTHIC, were very influential and highly regarded in the realm of film history and scholarship. He will definitely be missed.
So shocking and sad to hear this news. Loved his work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks