Theme Theaters

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Michael Allen, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Michael Allen

Hey folks...

I was looking through the member galleries and I saw a cool theater called Tha Bridge. (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/gall...e-Home-Theater)

It got me to thinking...

Anyone else have/seen home theaters based on a theme? A particular TV show/movie/genre?

Mike

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Michael:

That is one cool theater isn't it. I always wanted an HT set up like the bridge of the Enterprise D.

Parker

3. Michael Allen

Definitely cool!!

I think I would opt for a more gothic feel...reminiscent of the Universal horror films of the 30's!

4. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

I have one loosely themed around the Terminator films...actually a salute to all SciFi genre films.

5. Michael Allen

Darren,

Do you have any pictures? I would love to see it!

Mike

6. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

The challenge with theme theaters (in my opinion) are twofold. First, it's pretty easy to cross the line from cool to cheesy. Don't get carried away - less is often more. Second of all, there have been a number of times that I have seen these funky theaters in AVI magazine and such and the colors get so outrageous that could only have a detrimental effect on image quality. Try and maintain the spirit of your chosen theme but keep theater performance in mind throughout.

7. Darren Mortensen

Mike,

Simply click the the link above my name.

8. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

9. Evan M

Evan M Second Unit

Wow, Darren... that freaking rocks.

Color me jealous.[​IMG]

10. Michael Allen

Darren...

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't see a link above your name. All links I try don't take me to any pictures.

Mike

11. Darren Mortensen

Mike,

The link is just above my signature in red letters at the bottom of my posts, entitled The CYBERDYNE CINEMA.

12. Michael Allen

My bad...I had signatures turned off.

13. Travis_R

Travis_R Stunt Coordinator

VERY COOL ON THE DEATHSTAR DAVE

14. Michael Allen

Darren,

Your theater is PHENOMENAL! Did you do the construction yourself?

15. Darren Mortensen

Mike,

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's PHENOMENAL.... but we enjoy it nonetheless. Yes, I did all the design, construction and set-up myself.

16. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

um, here is my theater, um, it has a chair, and, uh, an Alien figure woohoo... :-(

17. Michael Allen

Darren,

What was the size of the room before you started? Do you have any pics of it under construction?

Jay,

I think I agree with you...although I haven't really seen too many themed theaters.

Mike

18. Darren Mortensen

Mike,

The room was an entertainemnt room with the TV built into a false wall, along with the speakers and shelves for components. At that time it was a very open walk-out basement. I then added a wall and solid core door to separate the room from the rest of the finished basement area. It measures in at about 15' by 27'... and varing heights of ceiling. The next issue fo HOME THEATER BUILDER magazine will include an exclusive on our home theaters creation. So keep an eye out for it in the next few weeks! [​IMG]

19. JasonSTR

JasonSTR Auditioning

Darren you wouldnt go so far as to call it phenominal?!!! Dude i would!!! [​IMG] Its spectacular! Maybe thats just the sci-fi geek in me talking tho :b. That star wars one is amazing as well, wish they had more photos of it tho [​IMG]

Star wars just happens to be my fave sci fi movie ever followed closely by dune and the terminator tho [​IMG]

20. MatthewBrown

MatthewBrown Auditioning

Very nice. The first one is a bit too trekie for my taste but still very clean and creative nontheless. The cyberdyne theater is very inspiring, you did wonderfully on it and I'm glad you're being honored with magazine credit.

How long did the construction take you from start to finish? I love all the diamond plating and steel fabrication, do you do this for a living too?

I've had a few ideas for theming my theater also, but this thread just sealed it for me. I absolutely must do it. One was a 20's-30's speakeasy. Another was a 50's drive-in with the top half of a drop-top surrounding the main seating area. Another was the inside of a commercial airliner (with more comfortable seats of course.) So the ideas will continue flooding in and probably put me farther away from actually putting it down, but in the end the planning will be well worth it.