What's new

Home Theater United 46 - Hidden Gems (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Home Theater United Podcast

What movies do you consider to be Hidden Gems? Join host Sam Posten and guests Todd Erwin, John Rice and Josh Steinberg as they highlight 3 movies each which they feel deserve wider exposure and acclaim than what they got theatrically or on home video.

Sam:
The mist
Antebellum
Inside man

Todd:
Solo: A Star Wars Story
Ghostbusters: Answer the Call
Grand Canyon

Josh:
Rope
Tomorrowland
Sunshine

John:
A Monster Calls
Paper Towns
Never Let Me Go

Plus we play a new game: "Know what's mad? That I have never seen THIS movie" and a whole new (not really!) Good Bad and Ugly!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Josh:
Rope:
m.imdb.com

Rope (1948) ⭐ 7.9 | Crime, Drama, Mystery

1h 20m | Approved
m.imdb.com
m.imdb.com

Sunshine:
m.imdb.com

Sunshine (2007) ⭐ 7.2 | Sci-Fi, Thriller

1h 47m | R
m.imdb.com
m.imdb.com

Tomorrowland:
m.imdb.com

Tomorrowland (2015) ⭐ 6.4 | Action, Adventure, Family

2h 10m | PG
m.imdb.com
m.imdb.com

GBU: Ad Astra
m.imdb.com

Ad Astra (2019) ⭐ 6.5 | Adventure, Drama, Mystery

2h 3m | PG-13
m.imdb.com
m.imdb.com

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
One thing I need to clarify, the screenplay for Never Let Me Go was written by Alex Garland, but it's adapted from a novel by Kazuo Ishiguro. I was so concerned with my internet going in and out, we'd discussed Garland previously, and I didn't mention Ishiguro along with Garland

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Listening to the new episode, in the “hidden gems” section, trying to play along:

• Solo. I’m going to say neither hidden nor a gem. :) Nothing about a Star Wars movie is “hidden”. I saw it release weekend in London in 4DX at the Leicester Square theater on vacation. It was a fun movie and immediately forgotten.
  • “Sunshine”. haven’t seen it, been meaning to for years so maybe I’ll remember to find and watch it next year.
  • ”Ghostbusters (2016)”. I watched it last weekend for the first time. Or rather, I started watching it, but got so bored that I quit halfway through. I found a review that captured my feelings, and made me feel not alone :)
  • A Monster Calls: haven’t heard of it. Likened to Pan’s Labyrinth is intriguing. Will try to find it.

I’m reminded of a podcast I liked, since discontinued, called “Unjustly Maligned”. And I loved that framing as a way to talk about movies and TV and books and everything that you think are much better than what they received overall. It can be a “hidden” gem that no one knew about it. Or it can be a hugely marketed, big-IP, completely unmissable franchise movie that got slammed for the misfortune of not meeting expectations.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
  • Tomorrowland: Guess I need to watch this one now. :) I’ve always been curious but I never heard anything especially good or “yes see this” I’ve just ignored it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I got The Goonies as well, which was also mentioned in the podcast. I've actually seen that, once, but well back into the previous century.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks