What's new

Theater seating (1 Viewer)

DanaRuns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dana
Hi. I'm gonna put in 1 row of 3 seats. What is your opinion on the best value for theater seating?

I'll mention that my spouse and I kinda want something super comfortable, and we'd love a heat and massage feature. If we're going to do this home theater thing, we might as well make it fun to sit in the seats.

I was thinking of Seatcraft Virtuoso with heat and massage from 4seating (https://4seating.com/seatcraft-theater-seating/seatcraft-virtuoso-home-theater-seat), but someone commented that some people find Seatcraft uncomfortable. That would be a huge pass. Comfort is very important.

There is also the Valencia Tuscany with heat and massage (https://us.valenciatheaterseating.c...ukdpRJbl_KrA08xSJ-fp6YZf4yjuNz-8aAktZEALw_wcB) but that's super expensive at $4,500 for three seats. :eek:

It might also be worth mentioning that I am tall and my spouse is big. The seats need to handle us both.

Who out there has some wisdom on theater seating?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Honestly, I’d look at La-Z-Boy. Comfortable chairs in the living room are comfortable in the theater.

DanaRuns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dana
Honestly, I’d look at La-Z-Boy. Comfortable chairs in the living room are comfortable in the theater.

Does La-Z-Boy make theater seating? I don't want just a recliner. I want to have a feeling of attending an event when going into the theater, not just repurposing living room furniture. Does that make sense?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I know a lot of people feel that way, but I’ve never understood it. If a LZB chair had a “Theater” moniker, would it be different?

Still, the bottom line has to be what you want.

DanaRuns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dana
If a LZB chair had a “Theater” moniker, would it be different?
Nope. There is a difference between recliners and theater seating, even though they both may be seats and may both recline. I mean, airline seats are recliners, too, right? Would you put them in your theater?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
In another post I recommended you not "cheap out" on seating but that's exactly what I did, sort of. I bought my seats at Sam's Club for about $400.00 each. I don't remember the manufacturer and, given the nature of warehouse clubs they're probably no longer available anyway.

Requirements for me were...
  • Full recline
  • Oversized cup holder
  • Detachable tray
  • Standard and USB power
  • Armrest storage
I wasn't concerned about adjustable headrest, massage, etc. as I have a dedicated chair for those needs. I've had my seats for a few years now and the only issues I've had are some minor pitting where I rest my arms and also minor fabric discoloration on the headrest. Both of these issues have occurred in the primary seat only. I bought a row of three and a second row of two for a total of around $2000.00. I use my theater, on average, about 3 hours a night. My seats are comfortable but I'm sure the more expensive options probably do a little better in that area.

Anyway, hope this helps.

If you're considering the Valencia line you might want to take a look at this.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I mean, airline seats are recliners, too, right? Would you put them in your theater?
No… and that’s not exactly a valid argument.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion to consider. In my case, I’m 6’6” and the most comfortable chair I’ve ever sat in, by FAR, is the LZB Astor. Nothing else makes sense, for ME.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
No… and that’s not exactly a valid argument.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion to consider. In my case, I’m 6’6” and the most comfortable chair I’ve ever sat in, by FAR, is the LZB Astor. Nothing else makes sense, for ME.

John, you're my friend but are you kidding me? I think I'd rather just be less comfortable. :cool:

1668987381418.png

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I just have some Seatcraft Rialtos (w/ a flip-arm partition) myself. They're alright (and affordable) enough, but I imagine they probably aren't great for substantially bigger people -- I'm just 5'7" 150-160lb, and most of my guests aren't much taller/bigger, if at all. The (non-reclinable) flip-arm partition seat is definitely not so comfortable as it feels almost like the middle backseat of many cars, except this has (much) bigger/thicker cushion -- it's also constructed much simpler and completely differently than the recliner seats.

IMO, they aren't really built quite that well and seem to malfunction a bit too easily -- not sure if that's just the Rialtos or Seatcraft seats in general though. The power reclining (for all 3 seats) started flaking out just under a year into ownership and completely stopped working soon thereafter. I did get the spare parts from Seatcraft to fix them (just before the warranty expired), but haven't gotten around to it so far -- I find I really don't need the reclining much, if at all, myself anyway though it's certainly nice to have on occasion.

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not my style but I've seen it in your room and it actually looks pretty good with that décor. I wanted black leather for my room.
I think it looks fine, but I also can’t see it when I’m sitting in it. I, for one, buy chairs to sit in. Not look at. But… that’s just me. :P

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I think it looks fine, but I also can’t see it when I’m sitting in it. I, for one, buy chairs to sit in. Not look at. But… that’s just me. :P
Touché. I have to admit, aesthetics do matter to me

DanaRuns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dana
I have to admit that aesthetics matter to me, too. I'd much rather have this home theater...

1668989582664.png

...than this one.

1668989560899.png

Indeed, I'd argue that home theaters are all about aesthetics. Aesthetics of sight, aesthetics of sound, aesthetics of ambience. You want a movie picture that is beautiful; you want sound that is beautiful. Why wouldn't you want a theater that is beautiful?

Attachments

• 1668989451846.png
    1668989451846.png
    753 KB · Views: 47
  • 1668989506822.png
    1668989506822.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 39

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Priorities.

I haven’t put $0.05 into aesthetics. I’d rather invest in performance.

But that’s me. Now, my Thiels are gorgeous, but that’s not why I bought them.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I need to take a new photo with the SB16s and that isn't more than two years old. After all, I just dropped a zillion $ on all new camera equipment.

_FER6061_2_3_A_Crop_Optimizer.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks