What's new

The Hateful Eight (2015) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
In the most recent American Cinematographer, they said pretty much everything but the underwater sequence in the latest Mission: Impossible was shot on 35mm film. The article also mentioned that Cruise himself thinks he looks better on film vs digital, and since Cruise was also the producer, there was never any question that it would be shot on film. But it was finished digitally with a 2K DI.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Adam Lenhardt said:
I was expecting this to be a big Magnificant Seven-esque Western with a Tarantino spin. Despite the Western framing, it looks more like an Agatha Christie closed room thriller.

My thoughts exactly. Other than that spectacular opening shot this trailer didn't grab me at all. I didn't much care for Russell's delivery, and seeing Sam Jackson and hearing him do his usual shtick pretty much takes me out of a film at this point. He's become Johnny Depp to Tarantino's Tim Burton.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I am expecting this to show in 70mm at the AFI Silver near DC. The 2.76:1 aspect ratio should be interesting. You really need a 60+ feet wide screen. I don't think the AFI's is quite that wide. Probably not too many of those left.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I hope Mr Tarantino has used most of the 2.76:1 frame, from the trailer it looked to me like they might be playing it safe by keeping everything essential in the 2.40:1 part of the frame with redundant picture information that could easily be discarded at the sides, i hope i am wrong, i'd love to see a film like this use the entire frame for an epic feel.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Adam Lenhardt said:
I was expecting this to be a big Magnificent Seven-esque Western with a Tarantino spin. Despite the Western framing, it looks more like an Agatha Christie closed room thriller.

We always knew this was going to be about a motley crew of passengers isolated in a snowed-in cabin along a stage line. That was pretty clear from the descriptions of the film ever since the story broke about the script being leaked some years ago. There's a whole history of westerns like that, including RAWHIDE (1951), starring Tyrone Power and Susan Hayward, HANGMAN'S KNOT (1952) with Randolph Scott, Donna Reed and Lee Marvin, and quite a few others I can't recall offhand, plus at least one samurai film, MACHIBUSE (aka INCIDENT AT BLOOD PASS, 1970), with Toshiro Mifune as a sword-for-hire who's assigned to travel to a remote inn to get his orders and meets a motley crew of bad guys there, all with mysterious agendas. Plus crime movies like KEY LARGO (1948), with Bogart, Bacall and Edward G. Robinson.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I hope it gets a screening on the Cinerama screen in Bradford although it would crop some of the image due to the curved
screen.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
DP 70 said:
I hope it gets a screening on the Cinerama screen in Bradford although it would crop some of the image due to the curved
screen.

The Pictureville screen is 55ft by 21ft about 2.6:1 so not much will be cropped if any.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I wonder whether the Castro in San Francisco will be able to run the full 2.76:1 image. They still run 70mm (and they've got Vertigo in 70mm planned for next month), but I don't know what the widest ratio they can show is.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Apparently this is being advertised as 2.75:1 aspect ratio. Apologies for the misinformation. :)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
The 70mm roadshow rollout this Christmas will include reserved seating, overture and intermission, and possibly more. I'd love to see a program also, but I'd be prepared to pay for it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Dr Griffin said:
The 70mm roadshow rollout this Christmas will include reserved seating, overture and intermission, and possibly more. I'd love to see a program also, but I'd be prepared to pay for it.
Nice. Hopefully there will be a list of theaters showing it 70mm sometime in the near future. I'll drive a good stretch to see it this way.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Adam Lenhardt said:
Apparently the 70mm prints will be a longer cut of the movie than the digital version in conventional cinemas.
Let's hope the longer version makes it onto blu ray and UHD, I say that because I imported the uncut DVD of Kill Bill all those years ago from Japan, cost ask lot of money, had awful edge enhancement, halos around everything but hey it was uncut and superb.

I wish Mr Tarantino would push for that one to be released on blu ray, I cannot watch the censored version, not ever, the uncut flows brilliantly, cannot watch the cut edition so I am deprived of seeing it in HD.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
FoxyMulder said:
Let's hope the longer version makes it onto blu ray and UHD, I say that because I imported the uncut DVD of Kill Bill all those years ago from Japan, cost ask lot of money, had awful edge enhancement, halos around everything but hey it was uncut and superb.

I wish Mr Tarantino would push for that one to be released on blu ray, I cannot watch the censored version, not ever, the uncut flows brilliantly, cannot watch the cut edition so I am deprived of seeing it in HD.

Yeah, ever since I got the Japanese cut of KBV1, that's the only version I watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks