What's new

The Hateful Eight (2015) (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm not going to cry about not seeing the film in its intended 70mm presentation. I had to use my best judgement, and 5 hours drive time round trip on my only free weekend over the holiday i chose to skip it.
I'm happy with version I saw.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

About 2:05-2:40 explains the heart of Tarantino's movies. And it is the reason I feel his films are still so fresh, and original.

The one scene in "The Hateful Eight" that turned most people off to it(heavy on the exploitation, full frontal nudity common in sleazy 70's exploit flicks) could have been way worse. My friend showed me the original screenplay, and the Sam Jackson/Bruce Dern son scene was pretty damn dark. Gross, and dark. I'm glad Quentin Tarantino was wise enough to change it.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

About 2:05-2:40 explains the heart of Tarantino's movies. And it is the reason I feel his films are still so fresh, and original.

The one scene in "The Hateful Eight" that turned most people off to it(heavy on the exploitation, full frontal nudity common in sleazy 70's exploit flicks) could have been way worse. My friend showed me the original screenplay, and the Sam Jackson/Bruce Dern son scene was pretty damn dark. Gross, and dark. I'm glad Quentin Tarantino was wise enough to change it.

Hmm, different strokes for different folks I guess. To me that was one of the more compelling scenes in the movie. The story SLJ tells is messed up, but we never know if it was actually true.

What was it originally supposed to have been like?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
What was it originally supposed to have been like?

In the finished film Smither's son begs for a blanket to keep warm. Warren still makes him do a despicable deed but in the first draft(which my friend got before it was taken down) had Smither's son begging for something to drink, not a blanket, and Col. Warren gives him a mouthful of -doesn't specify which bodily fluid, just states it was plenty warm and he gulped it down- either way, pretty disgusting. That really would have turned off movie goers I think.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
In the finished film Smither's son begs for a blanket to keep warm. Warren still makes him do a despicable deed but in the first draft(which my friend got before it was taken down) had Smither's son begging for something to drink, not a blanket, and Col. Warren gives him a mouthful of -doesn't specify which bodily fluid, just states it was plenty warm and he gulped it down- either way, pretty disgusting. That really would have turned off movie goers I think.

Defiantly a bit more graphic but I don't know if it would have made a world of difference. QT has never been one to shy away from disturbing shit, so viewers should know what to expect at this point.

On a side note, I take it that there's still no indication that the roadshow version will ever be released.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
We likely won’t know until it airs.
Wasn’t that only 7 minutes longer?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That's a genuine surprise. Once Quentin decided not to put that version on the Blu-ray, I certainly never thought I would be able to see it on Netflix of all places.

It did not play in 70mm anywhere in the entire state I was living in at the time of its release, so although I would have loved to be able to see it that way, that option was completely unavailable to me.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
That's a genuine surprise. Once Quentin decided not to put that version on the Blu-ray, I certainly never thought I would be able to see it on Netflix of all places.

It did not play in 70mm anywhere in the entire state I was living in at the time of its release, so although I would have loved to be able to see it that way, that option was completely unavailable to me.

Unfortunately, as I kind of suspected, this is NOT the roadshow version. It may have the extended scenes but no overture. As a matter of fact it gets stranger, it's presented in four "episodes" each with the opening and ending credits, WTF?!

Disappointing. Got to give QT a big FU on this.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Unfortunately, as I kind of suspected, this is NOT the roadshow version. It may have the extended scenes but no overture. As a matter of fact it gets stranger, it's presented in four "episodes" each with the opening and ending credits, WTF?!

Disappointing. Got to give QT a big FU on this.
I doubt Tarentino had a say in that.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
He sure as hell has a say on whether or not the roadshow version is ever seen again.

The extended roadshow version of The Hateful Eight in UHD 4K has been available for a while now from Netflix, and finally last night I gave it a watch. PQ streaming was mostly good, and sometimes even stunning. The movie itself is great imho, making it one of my top three 21st century Westerns. What's very weird though is that they make it into sort of a mini-series, dividing up the movie into episodes that match the chapters of the original film. Anyway, highly recommended for those show have Netflix.

What other movies been made since this one in SuperPanavision70?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don’t think the Netflix version is necessarily the Roadshow version shon at the movies.
It’s an extended version split into 4 episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks