What's new

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019) (2 Viewers)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Watched Hollywood for the 5th time tonight. It remains my favorite for Best Picture.

Mark
I loved it too. But It’s chances are diminishing even more since Parasite just won at the Screen Actors Guild awards. And actors make up the largest branch of the Academy.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Watched it for the second time last night. It’s one of my favorite Tarantino flicks and one of my favorites of the year. I wouldn’t be upset if it won best picture but it’s a strong year.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is one of the more interesting movies to read comments about. It appears that the main reason it's so enjoyable for several others is pretty much the same reason it did nothing for me. I said elsewhere that I just couldn't get away from the "nuts and bolts" behind the movie to enjoy the actual movie.

On the other hand, I got a kick out of The Hateful Eight, which a lot of QT fans really didn't like. I really enjoyed the Agatha Christie-ness of it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Best joke during last nights SAG awards when Brad Pitt won Best Supporting Actor.

He thanked the actresses...then their feet. Then he said:

“Quentin Tarantino has separated more women from their shoes than the TSA!”
:rolling-smiley::laugh:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I finally saw this, and I loved it. It's the kind of picture I would have seen opening weekend, but between a vacation (when it opened), our regular babysitter moving, the holidays, and our kids' birthdays, I finally got to it (on blu-ray). One of my favorite Tarantino movies, and it may even rival Pulp Fiction for my favorite. DiCaprio, Pitt and Robbie were all terrific. I know there was some talk about Robbie's part being underwritten, but I don't think that was true (not like Anna Paquin's part in The Irishman which was). Pitt steals the movie; he is a commanding presence in every scene he's in. DiCaprio was great, especially the scene where he is in his trailer after forgetting his lines, and then back on set doing his best. I absolutely loved the cinematography - how every (daylight) scene is in full sunlight, giving everything a glow and making all the colors vibrant. The music excelled, even for a Tarantino movie, which is saying a lot. The script was wonderful, full of moments that are funny and others that fill you with dread. Tarantino has been a master at suspense (the scene at the table in the bar in Inglorious Basterds comes to mind) but here, the suspense is his best. The scene where Pitt walks into the old house on the ranch... Wow. The movie deals with real-life events, despite being fiction, and changes some of the events we know happened. No matter. The moment at the end of the film where DiCaprio's character is embraced is like a view into an alternate reality in which we'd all like to live.

Nicely stated, Sam! I agree completely with your review.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks