What's new

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
And by the way Tarantino's IMDB page of Rick Dalton shows that he never had any work in film after 1971. So that fairy tale ending of maybe he meets Tate, and Polanski hires him to star in his movies....sorry.

So either Rick Dalton dies, or he finds another line of work for the rest of his life!
Good news by way of Quentin Tarantino, he says in a giant interview that
QT: But there is also something else – that suggests I think there’s a suggestion that something else could have happened for Rick – a better future for Rick. But I wouldn’t want to say what the future is for Rick. I would want the audience to come up with it on their own. Because if I say what that future is then that becomes the future. I’d rather use these other examples. But here’s the thing – when Rick meets Marvin [played by Al Pacino] at Musso & Frank, I don’t think Marvin says it out loud, but it’s gotten across that the culture has changed, and he’s on the outs. You know, it’s 1969, and Rick still wears the pompadour. He puts pomade in his hair … even Edd Byrnes didn’t wear a pompadour anymore. He was famous for doing a hair spray commercial where he said “I used to be Kookie … the dry look is where it’s at baby!” So, that sets him up, he’s not of this generation, he’s not a New Hollywood type of actor – you don’t see him fitting in with Peter Fonda or Jack Nicholson or Donald Sutherland or Elliott Gould or any of these guys. Those are the actors of the time. But, I think when Sam Wanamaker the director of “Lancer” puts the mustache on him and puts the longer haired wig on him, and the hipper jacket, I think Rick has never seen himself that way … Rick has kept one hairstyle his entire career… he’s had one look his entire career … even when he goes off to do the spaghetti westerns, the outfits you see him in seem a little flyer that the stuff he wore on television… So, I think you see that he could be a 70s actor, he could be a New Hollywood actor and the performance that he ends up giving in his last “Lancer” scene that we see, that suggests more that type of actor…

KM: Yes. And Trudi [played by Julia Butters] is impressed – she says it’s the greatest acting she’s ever seen…

QT: Yes. And he’s playing a real sadistic bad guy. Not just a standard issue bad guy of the week. He’s actually playing almost like he’s a Hells Angels gang. And all of those rustler guys with him are his gang mates… But I like the fact that with that long hair and that mustache and the cooler more zeitgeisty jacket, is this could be the guy he could be …
Personally, I think/hope that he ended up as a a good character actor in smaller movies and the occasional studio picture. Sorta like Lee Van Cleef or Lee Marvin where he kept working in good and bad movies and today, he'd be best remembered for having done some cool low budget movies in the 70's and 80's.

Also, that interview is a must for any fan of the movie. Here's a link: http://thenewbev.com/blog/2019/09/tarantino-on-hollywood/

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Good news by way of Quentin Tarantino, he says in a giant interview that
Personally, I think/hope that he ended up as a a good character actor in smaller movies and the occasional studio picture. Sorta like Lee Van Cleef or Lee Marvin where he kept working in good and bad movies and today, he'd be best remembered for having done some cool low budget movies in the 70's and 80's.

Also, that interview is a must for any fan of the movie. Here's a link: http://thenewbev.com/blog/2019/09/tarantino-on-hollywood/

Awesome. Thanks.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Tarantino's IMDB page of Rick Dalton
[...]
Actor (35 credits)
1959-1963 Bounty Law (TV Series)
Jake Cahill
- Incident in Inez (1959) ... Jake Cahill
- Incident in Beaver Falls (1959) ... Jake Cahill
- Incident at Henry Minks Homested (1959) ... Jake Cahill
- Incident on a stage bound for Tuscon (1959) ... Jake Cahill
- Incident in Janicetown (1959) ... Jake Cahill
- Incident in Perrytown Pt.1 (1959) ... Jake Cahill
- Incident in Perrytown Pt.2 (1959) ... Jake Cahill
48 episodes

For a 4 season series, isn't 48 episodes an awfully low number for a show of that time? Or was he not on the series every week? (I know it's fictional.)

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin

Thanks for the link! A couple friends of mine who have gone to see this film at the New Beverly, say that they try to have one of the actors there for a short meet and greet or intro or Q&A before the film. Last week or thereabouts the little girl Lancer actress was there, Julia Butters. My friend who went this week said Mike Moh was there. They showed an extended Lancer episode scene before the movie as an extra treat. Also the theatre has posters around for movies all starring Rick Dalton.

Maybe I should go a third time! Last time I saw it (in 35mm) at the Vista Theatre, which is approaching it's 100th birthday in a couple years!

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I don't think that Bruce Lee himself would've reacted this way. I think her begging the Chinese government to not screen this inadvertently affects Lee's reputation as a fearless badass more than anything in this movie.

(We should probably also burn every copy of Game of Death while we're at it, because that is WAY more actually-disrespectful to him.)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't think that Bruce Lee himself would've reacted this way. I think her begging the Chinese government to not screen this inadvertently affects Lee's reputation as a fearless badass more than anything in this movie.

(We should probably also burn every copy of Game of Death while we're at it, because that is WAY more actually-disrespectful to him.)
I don't know about that as I can't get into the head of a man that's been dead for 45 years.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I wonder if the re-release will hold up the 4k/blu-ray release, which was said to be set for Dec. 5. There's been no announcement at this late date, which is odd.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
How much additional footage does this extended edition have? In any case, I'll probably see it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's not a new cut of the movie. There is
a pair of commercials (made for the movie) before the movie starts and a scene from Lancer and an extended scene from Bounty Law after the movie ends.

The first commercial is a late 1960's Red Apple cigarettes ad and is narrated by Quentin Tarantino. The second is for Chattanooga Beer (Cliff's brand in the movie) and is narrated by what sounds like Walton Goggins.

The scene from Lancer involves Luke Perry's character dressed like a dandy in a powder blue suit and top hat arguing with his character's brother (Timothy Olyphant). The Bounty Law scene is a longer version of what is in the movie with Michael Madsen.
They're fun to see but everyone should go see the movie again because it's great and not because there's ten minutes "added" to it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's not a new cut of the movie. There is
a pair of commercials (made for the movie) before the movie starts and a scene from Lancer and an extended scene from Bounty Law after the movie ends.

The first commercial is a late 1960's Red Apple cigarettes ad and is narrated by Quentin Tarantino. The second is for Chattanooga Beer (Cliff's brand in the movie) and is narrated by what sounds like Walton Goggins.

The scene from Lancer involves Luke Perry's character dressed like a dandy in a powder blue suit and top hat arguing with his character's brother (Timothy Olyphant). The Bounty Law scene is a longer version of what is in the movie with Michael Madsen.
They're fun to see but everyone should go see the movie again because it's great and not because there's ten minutes "added" to it.
I'll pass and wait for my pre-ordered 4K disc to see this again with the added minutes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wouldn't blame anyone that waits. I knew going in that it wasn't a new cut but I hadn't seen the movie since last month so I just used it as an excuse to see it yet again. :)
Hey, you love the movie. I'm not in that camp, but I did like it a lot.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not much interest in this re-release. On 1674 screens but only grossed about $550,000, or a per-screen average of around $330, worst in the Top 40.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s really a brutal market for most films beyond a weekend or two. Most of the people that want to see a thing are conditioned to either see it right away or wait for home viewing. And the super short window between theatrical and home make this kind of re-expansion a difficult sell. I’d like to see it again too. But not so much that I’d pay more for a single ticket to see it today vs waiting a couple weeks to being able to see it at home for a fraction of that price.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Was there literally any promotion for it? If it wasn't for here and Twitter, I wouldn't have even realized it was coming back out. On my way there, I thought I might be the only person in the theater (something that did happen one of the times I saw it late in its run) but by the time it started, there was 10 people. It was an older crowd who didn't look like they frequent movie sites online so wondered how they even knew about it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I finally saw this, and I loved it. It's the kind of picture I would have seen opening weekend, but between a vacation (when it opened), our regular babysitter moving, the holidays, and our kids' birthdays, I finally got to it (on blu-ray). One of my favorite Tarantino movies, and it may even rival Pulp Fiction for my favorite. DiCaprio, Pitt and Robbie were all terrific. I know there was some talk about Robbie's part being underwritten, but I don't think that was true (not like Anna Paquin's part in The Irishman which was). Pitt steals the movie; he is a commanding presence in every scene he's in. DiCaprio was great, especially the scene where he is in his trailer after forgetting his lines, and then back on set doing his best. I absolutely loved the cinematography - how every (daylight) scene is in full sunlight, giving everything a glow and making all the colors vibrant. The music excelled, even for a Tarantino movie, which is saying a lot. The script was wonderful, full of moments that are funny and others that fill you with dread. Tarantino has been a master at suspense (the scene at the table in the bar in Inglorious Basterds comes to mind) but here, the suspense is his best. The scene where Pitt walks into the old house on the ranch... Wow. The movie deals with real-life events, despite being fiction, and changes some of the events we know happened. No matter. The moment at the end of the film where DiCaprio's character is embraced is like a view into an alternate reality in which we'd all like to live.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks