What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Hateful Eight -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I was about to watch this recently, but I'm still holding out for a UHD "Roadshow" edition. I hope we get it soon.

I've pretty much given up on hoping it comes out. QT seems to be the stubborn type, so I don't see (apparently) him changing his mind about withholding it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I think he has said as much in an interview how going to see a movie on the big screen is special, and home video is...home video.

I will see if I can find it.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
This hope comes from the same place I've had for nearly 10 years or so concerning a home release of Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair. I think you're in for a long wait.

Well, we did eventually get the theatrical "Grindhouse". Though I guess that whole thing was a different situation.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Oh I can see this getting a UHD Blu-ray release, maybe not the cinema version, but then if I hadn't been told that the home cinema version was a bit shorter than the 70mm version, I'd never have noticed, but I did think it was a bit mean not having the overture on the Blu-ray.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Well, I'd be apt to join QT for his reasons of withholding a proper UHD of the 70mm...that is, if QT could ensure that a 70mm print could be booked and distributed nation-wide, on a regular basis. So, yah...then sure...I'd go to that theater. But, hey...QT...your "Hateful Eight" isn't to be found there, either. Wish it was, pal...but it ain't. So cough it up. Give us a 70 of "Eight" in UHD. Later, folks.

Chelsearicky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Barrett-Olson
Showtime has been broadcasting both versions of 'Hateful Eight' for months now. The 70MM version is always in a designated 3 hour time slot, and the general release version is listed at 2hrs 50minutes. I've seen both versions several times each now.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Showtime has been broadcasting both versions of 'Hateful Eight' for months now. The 70MM version is always in a designated 3 hour time slot, and the general release version is listed at 2hrs 50minutes. I've seen both versions several times each now.

Nothing personal of course but I find what you're saying very hard to believe. Cable stations typically only play one version of the films they show. but even barring that, I can't imagine they are playing a version that has never been in general release and a version that QT apparently doesn't want in circulation. So are you really saying that SHO has been playing the the version of the movie that has the Overture, the retro studio logo, the Cinerama logo, the intermission (which if true, I'm assuming would be truncated) and all the footage that appeared in the roadshow version? If so, do you have any DVR evidence?

Chelsearicky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Barrett-Olson
Nothing personal of course but I find what you're saying very hard to believe. Cable stations typically only play one version of the films they show. but even barring that, I can't imagine they are playing a version that has never been in general release and a version that QT apparently doesn't want in circulation. So are you really saying that SHO has been playing the the version of the movie that has the Overture, the retro studio logo, the Cinerama logo, the intermission (which if true, I'm assuming would be truncated) and all the footage that appeared in the roadshow version? If so, do you have any DVR evidence?
The longer version has all the extra footage. It does not have the overture/intermission. I'm sure Showtime would be happy to confirm this.

Chelsearicky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Barrett-Olson
The longer version has all the extra footage. It does not have the overture/intermission. I'm sure Showtime would be happy to confirm this.
Also, it is my experience that both HBO and Showtime routinely broadcast 'unrated' as well as the 'R' rated versions of films, particularly raunchy sitcoms such as "Bridesmaids".

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Also, it is my experience that both HBO and Showtime routinely broadcast 'unrated' as well as the 'R' rated versions of films, particularly raunchy sitcoms such as "Bridesmaids".

I’d love to believe you, but I’ve never known a cable broadcaster to randomly air different cuts of films.

You’re not the same guy who was vehemently swearing that some of the 1977 prints of Star Wars had the “Episode IV: A New Hope” title on the crawl, are you?

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Well, I think we can pretty much write off a 4K UHD roadshow version by this stage. But yesterday I went to see Ennio Morricone live with 200 musicians and his theme from The Hateful Eight was the highlight of the two and a half hour concert. I never really liked the music previously - it's gloomy and dour - but live it was spectacular. And that was taking his spaghetti western medley into account. I took my 90 year old Great Aunt along and she said it was the best concert she had ever been to! She's the one with the black hat on!
IMG_7679.jpg
IMG_7683.jpg

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I’d love to believe you, but I’ve never known a cable broadcaster to randomly air different cuts of films.

You’re not the same guy who was vehemently swearing that some of the 1977 prints of Star Wars had the “Episode IV: A New Hope” title on the crawl, are you?

HBO only airs the R-Rated theatrical cuts of films but they are uncensored.

Chelsearicky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Barrett-Olson
No, that's someone else, but HBO has aired unrated cuts of 'Bridesmaids', 'The Hangover','The Change Up' and 'Hot Tub Time Machine' while simultaneously airing the 'R' rated cuts.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

But the HF8 has nothing to do rating. Both versions were R. But that’s the thing with the HBOs of the world, they only choose one version to air. And since QT apparently refuses to release of the roadshow version of TH8, general theatrical is the only version that “exists”

And to go on the record about it again, I still think it’s very shitty of QT to essentially say in this day and age “didn’t live somewhere near the only 100 theaters to do the roadshow? Well that’s your tough luck.”

Last edited:

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I was lucky enough to live in a city with one theater that played the roadshow version. I saw it twice.
In November 2017 they played it again, but unfortunately I was sick at that time and couldn't go. I hope they will show it again, maybe this year for the start of QT's new film.

Reactions: PMF

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I was lucky enough to live in a city with one theater that played the roadshow version. I saw it twice.
In November 2017 they played it again, but unfortunately I was sick at that time and couldn't go. I hope they will show it again, maybe this year for the start of QT's new film.
Hidden way down on the release list for April 25, without any fanfare, Netflix has announced The Hateful Eight as an extended cut. Could this extended version be the 70mm roadshow version? We'll know in a month.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a26872069/new-on-netflix-april-2019/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks