What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Hateful Eight -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Hidden way down on the release list for April 25, without any fanfare, Netflix has announced The Hateful Eight as an extended cut. Could this extended version be the 70mm roadshow version? We'll know in a month.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a26872069/new-on-netflix-april-2019/
Yeah, I read about it in this thread or someplace else.

I guess the film will be only for a limited time on Netflix, so this time I will not wait too long to watch it.
Of cause I would prefer to watch it on the big screen, but this is better than nothing.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
It will reach a lot more people on Showtime and Netflix than it ever will on UHD.

I agree. Still TV and streaming are not exactly known for being the pinnacle of analog film presentation that we were supposed to enjoy when watching the roadshow version. Probably just a matter of time now until the roadshow gets released first on standard and then finally also on UHD Blu-ray.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm really not that bothered about the roadshow version (I did see it at the cinema). I haven't missed the missing scenes or the intermission, but as I've said before, I do think it was a bit mean of Tarantino to omit the Morricone overture at the start.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I'm really not that bothered about the roadshow version (I did see it at the cinema). I haven't missed the missing scenes or the intermission, but as I've said before, I do think it was a bit mean of Tarantino to omit the Morricone overture at the start.
I agree. Morricone's overture was fantastic, and really helped set the whole mood of the film. It might also be the strongest cue in the entire film, a mini-symphonic work whose themes and variations evolve from the Dies Irae in the Requiem--not being raised Catholic I only recognized the theme because of Dreyer's DAY OF WRATH--and reaches such a climax of chromatic splendor that I'm sure this went a long way towards winning Morricone the Oscar that year.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Saw The Hateful Eight several years back. Here's a review I wrote up on the Blu-ray:

THE is a decent Tarantino film - it had elements of an old western, with the obvious modernized Tarantino "vibe". As always, enjoyed the soundtrack & the emphasis on dialogue.

Great landscape scenes of the endless snowy plains & mountains in the distance. This emphasized the isolation of the characters in "Minnie's Haberdashery", and made it clear that if someone was up to now good, it would be extremely simple to cover it up for months (or even years) - since that place was so far from civilization.

The gunfight battles - with the slo-motion violence - reminded me quite a bit of a Peckinpah film. And, the scenes with the voice-over narrator reminded me of the narration in the Wes Anderson film The Royal Tennenbaums.

Though I didn't think this film was nearly as good as The Inglorious Basterds, elements of The Hateful Eight reminded me of that earlier film,
notably the tense scene in confined quarters & someone hiding underneath the floorboards of a house.

It's fairly obvious that the story the SLJ character told to the older general (Bruce Dern) about his son
was all fictitious; he made the whole thing up just to get the old general to draw, so he could have an excuse to take him out - LOL; just like he made up the Lincoln letter
icon_biggrin.gif

It was good to see the old Tarantino "regulars" in the film, i.e. SLJ, Michael Madsen, Tim Roth, etc.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I really like TH8, but it’s a bit too long. QT could have shortened up some scenes a bit without losing the thread of the film.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I agree. Morricone's overture was fantastic, and really helped set the whole mood of the film. It might also be the strongest cue in the entire film, a mini-symphonic work whose themes and variations evolve from the Dies Irae in the Requiem--not being raised Catholic I only recognized the theme because of Dreyer's DAY OF WRATH--and reaches such a climax of chromatic splendor that I'm sure this went a long way towards winning Morricone the Oscar that year.

That overture (and associated red card) went a long way in making me think of TH8 as a horror film.

I also liked the retro Cinerama (even though not technically true) and Weinstein logos.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
That overture (and associated red card) went a long way in making me think of TH8 as a horror film.

I also liked the retro Cinerama (even though not technically true) and Weinstein logos.
Another aspect of the roadshow version that was really important is with the break coming where it did, the film flowed more smoothly.

While THE HATEFUL EIGHT does have aspects of a horror film (in particular NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD), for me another association of the Dias Irie was Dryer's DAY OF WRATH, which I think was done very consciously--in case you haven't seen it, DAY OF WRATH begins with the Dias Irie as the words are presented against a white background--for one of the first images one sees is a large, gleaming marble crucifix against a blinding white background of snow, not only quoting Dryer's film in terms of the low angle that is used, but also in terms of the white on white, briefly presenting what seems like a black and white image.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I'm not a Tarantino fan but i love westerns and large format films, so how bad could it be. Unfortunately very bad indeed. Basically it's a stage version of a western with everyone over-acting and projecting their voices to be heard at the back of the theatre. Oddly, it reminded me of a well known Agatha Christie play. Towards the end it turns into a horror comedy (and the stage has a trap door!). It is a shame because the exterior cinematography is beautiful. A terrible film made by an over-rated director. Not a keeper.

By the end i was really, really tired by the offensive language.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Ha, well I really like it, & I didn't like Django at all.
Yes I liked Hateful more than Django too. I agree with those who say Hateful is a bloated film, but the pacing seems better than Django (at times Django felt excruciatingly slow).

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes I liked Hateful more than Django too. I agree with those who say Hateful is a bloated film, but the pacing seems better than Django (at times Django felt excruciatingly slow).

I've seen it about 3 or 4 times now, & it seems to be shorter every time I see it, which is a good sign. I still haven't seen Once Upon A Time In Hollywood yet, I'll be getting the Blu-ray for Christmas, so it'll be early next year.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I've seen it about 3 or 4 times now, & it seems to be shorter every time I see it, which is a good sign. I still haven't seen Once Upon A Time In Hollywood yet, I'll be getting the Blu-ray for Christmas, so it'll be early next year.
Hollywood seems to have a similar pace that Hateful has, and it also has a Jackie Brown vibe in that you put the disc in the player, put your feet up, and have a good time with the show.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I felt there were more than enough surprises to warrant the excessive running time for The Hateful Eight. I never have enough time to revisit all of the movies I want to revisit, but this is one I need to make time to watch again.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The version showing on Netflix is 210 minutes.......much longer than the Roadshow version.

what’s on Netflix is the movie broken up into four “episodes” each with opening and closing credits (which I assume makes up a lot of the extended runtime) and I assume some of the extended material from the roadshow cut.

edit: on review of the movie-censorship links, looks like there is some new footage introduced as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks