What's new

The Beatles Anthology DVD. (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm already outnumbered here, but I think the two best are:

The Beatles - Allan Kozinn

The Beatles' Recording Sessions - Mark Lewisohn

I have read virtually every book written about the Beatles, and would suggest The Love You Make: An Insider's Story of the Beatles, by Peter Brown. It is definitive in virtually all respects and does not gloss over any of the unpleasantness or acrimony over the band's breakup. This book was just recently reissued after a long time out of print.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
The Beatles' Recording Sessions - Mark Lewisohn
George, I agree that Lewisohn's book is excellent (and indispensible to a Beatle's fan) but it doesn't really introduce a newbie to the story of the band, being as it is a catalogue of what they got up to each day they were recording.

There's also Revolution in the Head by Ian MacDonald which is a song-by-song analysis of the structure of the songs, compositional influences, etc.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I agree, hence my inclusion of the book that I think best does that, by Kozinn, and my mention of this book just because it's so damned good once you're familiar with the music.

BTW, while I've read all of the other books mentioned, and agree that they are very good, I've found errors (or rumors that turned out not to be true) in all of them. The two I mentioned are the only two I've never found errors in (although there may be some).

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Shout: The Beatles in Their Generation is just about the best biographical account of the band I've read. Girls and boys, I bought the "quicky" books that were issued in the 1960s—in the '60s, including the Davies thing when it first came out. Shout screams.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Is the Anthology really coming out on DVD? Has there been any official press release? Seems that there'd be more of splash by now.

I'm really on the cusp of getting the laserdisc set...

Tom Foley

Stunt Coordinator
By the way, this probably deserves it's own thread, but since it's nothing official anyway, I thought I would lump this in with the Anthology talk:
Rolling Stone mentions in its article about the lost (and now found) tapes from the Get Back/Let It Be sessions that
A source close to the Beatles says the tapes were essential to work now being done to prepare the Let It Be film for release this fall on DVD.
Rolling Stone.com
That's certainly excellent news. It would be nice to have a complete and definitive document of the Beatles during that very interesting time.
Sorry if it's already been posted and I haven't searched hard enough.

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
There's another interesting article on RollingStone.com about the re-issue of Let It Be on cd and DVD. Also mentions the upcoming release of the Anthology on DVD briefly:
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/new....asp?nid=17453
For Beatles fans another item of interest (the four complete Ed Sullivan Shows featuring the fab4) can be found and ordered here:
http://www.edsullivan.com/
According to reports on the "Beatles News Briefs" site the quality is excellent. I ordered it last week. Hopefully I'll have it soon.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Danny, thanks for the link to the Sullivan Beatles set. I hadn't heard about that before. Placed my order right away!!

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Rolling Stone mentions in that article posted by Danny that the Anthology is a summer release. Digital Bits says April. Hmmm.

Matt Hetzler

Stunt Coordinator
I really hope it is out in April.
Here is a quote from Abbeyrd's Beatle News Page:
Link Removed
"The most recent Capitol schedules (over last month) have the 5-disc Anthology set tentatively scheduled for beginning of April, not March. And that date is *not* cast in stone, just something to shoot for. No one has said that's a locked date."

I got my Sullivan discs today and, from what I've seen so far, they look great! My girlfriend was amused by the surround mix (you have a choice of surround or the original sound mix) - the screaming girls in the audience are about the only sound coming from the rear speakers.
These discs have gotten me even more pumped up about Anthology!

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
(you have a choice of surround or the original sound mix)
:frowning:
Yeah if only we were given that audio option on the recent Miramax released "Hard Day's Night - Collector's Edition" DVD? Well at least anyone can now get an accurate Saville Row cut suit made by the son of the original tailor?!? :thumbsdown:

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
The Beatles Anthology and Let It Be discs are now my most anticipated releases of the year, even edging out the rumored release of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Bring em on! :) :emoji_thumbsup:
By the way, count me as another fan who would love to see The Compleat Beatles released on dvd. My VHS copy is a bit worn...

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I'll second all of the above comments regarding the Anthology, Compleat Beatles, Ed Sullivan shows etc. But I'm wondering if anyone has any further info on this set:
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...470192&redir=1
According to the update at the best.com site, the show was scheduled to have been broadcast on Canadian TV this week. It's apparently not an official Apple release but at 5 disks, I wonder if it's more worthwhile than your average knock-off.

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
I love this news.....
From Steve's Abbeyrd's Beatles Page
Update (2/1/03) Mark the date April 1 down. That's the release date for the Anthology DVDs as given to us from two sources. Pictured are promo sheets for the Anthology DVDs. Here's what the wording says:
The DVD release of "The Beatles Anthology" contains all 8 original video programs on 4 DVDs.
The picture quality has been enhanced and the audio is presented in Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1 and PCM Stereo.
First time available on DVD!
Package: Features bonus disc of more Anthology (approx 50 minutes) of rare and never before seen footage.
Link Removed
Hopefully it isn't a April Fools Joke.......:D

Gui A

Supporting Actor
the show was scheduled to have been broadcast on Canadian TV this week.
It was. StarTV, I think. I didn't have time to see most of it though. One of the people interviewed often in the episode I saw was the band's chauffeur.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Great news!
I would have been more than happy with just DD 5.1 (or the original 2.0 surround), but the addition of PCM 2.0 and DTS 5.1 is confirming we're in for some nice sound. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks