What's new

The Beatles: 1 (Blu-ray Audio/Video) (2 Viewers)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Sam Favate said:
That's what I figured, but doesn't anyone else think that the B&W version of All You Need Is Love should have also been included?

Why anyone - in 2015 or in 1995 - would colorize a film is beyond me.
Hi Sam!

For what it's worth, in my opinion, the original Black & White "All You Need Is Love" should have at least been offered as an option, if not the default.

CHEERS! :)

Tony

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
Sam Favate said:
That's what I figured, but doesn't anyone else think that the B&W version of All You Need Is Love should have also been included?

Why anyone - in 2015 or in 1995 - would colorize a film is beyond me.

Its not a movie so its acceptable. And if one clip benefited from color it was that one. I don't see any need to include the B&W version for a short music promo. The color looks ok and we can't really argue as purists when the main appeal is hearing mono and stereo material upgraded to DTS HD

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
turtledove said:
Its not a movie so its acceptable. And if one clip benefited from color it was that one. I don't see any need to include the B&W version for a short music promo. The color looks ok and we can't really argue as purists when the main appeal is hearing mono and stereo material upgraded to DTS HD

Not really. I was under the impression that the footage was shot in colour but broadcast over the satellite in B&W. If it was always flat out B&W, then that's what it should be here. It makes no sense to colourize it, for anthology or anything else.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
Russell G said:
Not really. I was under the impression that the footage was shot in colour but broadcast over the satellite in B&W. If it was always flat out B&W, then that's what it should be here. It makes no sense to colourize it, for anthology or anything else.
Yes really.

The book with the discs says it was B&W. Had there been any version in color there would be no reason to colorise.

As we're not buying this set to watch 405 line pictures or listen to mono sound and quite the opposite, listening to music modified from its original version then the purist argument falls at the first fence.

It's in color because it looks better.

Arguing the B&W video should not be in color while at the same time enjoying the mono sound remixed in DTS HD Master Audio 7.1 is ridiculous

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
turtledove said:
It's in color because it looks better.

I beg to differ. Seeing a colorized film - whether it's 4 minutes or 120 minutes - takes me out of the experience, because the fake color is very distracting. It simply looks unauthentic.

I imagine they wanted a more psychedelic look for AYNIL, which is why they went with the colorized version, but I submit that it was the wrong decision 20 years ago and the wrong one now.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
Sam Favate said:
I beg to differ. Seeing a colorized film - whether it's 4 minutes or 120 minutes - takes me out of the experience, because the fake color is very distracting. It simply looks unauthentic.

I imagine they wanted a more psychedelic look for AYNIL, which is why they went with the colorized version, but I submit that it was the wrong decision 20 years ago and the wrong one now.

The fact that people have to ask if its colorised shows that most people don't even realise it wasn't shot in color.

I'm not a fan of colorisation generally but for this clip it certainly does suit it. You can turn your color down when viewing it

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
My favorite videos are the newer ones. Words of Love is sweet. And the surround on WithIn You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows is really incredible. I love all the older ones of course as a fan especially with the improved picture quality but I've seen those a lot over the years.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I was in an HMV yesterday and they had the BD 1+ for either $55.99 or $59.99 (two on display with differing price tags). I didn't pick it up because I've got a couple of orders en route. One from Kino Lorber (with The Mask, Giorgio Moroder's Metropolis and The Party) and a Dutch region free version of The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet. I might try and talk my wife into getting it for me for Christmas.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Barnes and Noble has a 30% off one item coupon this weekend. The set is cheaper to buy online rather in store even if you are a B&N member. Its discounted 15% to $50.99 on line but selling for $59.99 in store. Coupon code is 30BFRIDAY. Price online after coupon but before tax is $35.69.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/1-the-beatles/22614775?ean=0602547567819

Barnes and Noble usually has a 40% off all blu rays sale in December. If this set is included in that sale and you are a member the price could be $32.40 before tax with a 10% membership discount. If there is a coupon at the time of the sale it would be even cheaper. Since the set contains a CD and is not a movie or TV show I question whether it will be included in the sale. Not sure if that makes a difference.

kinzoels

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bill lettang
Mike Frezon said:
From Sam's link above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=9&v=8UQK-UcRezE
What really amazes me about this video is the edit between the two versions is now completely seamless, and the 2 keys better matched....cool. (love the original attempt also.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks