The Beatles Anthology DVD.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MarkBurton, Jan 13, 2003.

1. MarkBurton

MarkBurton Second Unit

From The Digital Bits....
    On the DVD-Video front, look for The Dixie Chicks: An Evening with The Dixie Chicks, Jennifer Lopez: Let's Get Loud, John Mayer: Any Given Thursday, Yukmouth: United Ghettos of America, Russell Watson: Russell Watson Live and Ute Lemper: Sings Kurt Weill & Michael Nyman (all 2/11), The Jam: The Complete Jam, Slayer: War at the Warfield, Peter Gabriel: Secret World Live and George Strait for the Last Time: Live from the Astrodome (all on 2/25), The American Tenors (3/4), Various Artists: Golden Age of the Piano and Bryn Terfel: Live in Concert (both 3/11), The Stranglers: Video Collection and David Bowie: Ziggy Stardust (both on 3/25) and The Beatles: Anthology (on 4/8).
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

2. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I can't wait. how long is the anthology and how many disks do you think it will be?
    Nice to see The Jam and The Stranglers with a little output as well. [​IMG]

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I know it is on 5 disks but don't have run times. The delay is what bothers me. I hope they don't make it a habit.

Glenn

4. LarryE

LarryE Stunt Coordinator

I will be camping out to get this one!

5. charles white

charles white Second Unit

I would prefer to see the early 1980's documentary The Compleat Beatles on DVD.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

So would I, Charles. But that superb documentary may never see light of day on DVD.

7. AndrewG

AndrewG Extra

Jack, why is that? The video is so great, I am sure it would sell like crazy. Is there some legal problem?

Andy

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Looking forward to it!

I'm interested in what the specs will be...wasn't there a rumor that the sound was being remixed in 5.1?

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Andrew: Apparently. The story is that Apple and the surviving Beatles want you to see the authorized biography instead of the unadulterated Malcolm McDowell-narrated film (which is nothing short of reverent in its own right). I agree. It's a wonderful documentary. JB

10. Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey Second Unit

Terry Hickey
    I'll be purchasing this one and if it has 5.1 mix, so much the better. I'm definitely looking forward for this one.

11. Paul-Gunther

Paul-Gunther Stunt Coordinator

YES!!!!
    Can anyone tell I'm excited...?

12. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

The Beatles are my favorite band... and I already have the book... and I didn't have an LD player way back when...
    THIS IS SO MINE! [​IMG]

13. Jason Guardiano

Jason Guardiano Stunt Coordinator

Yeah Yeah Yeah
    [​IMG]

14. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

But you haven't seen it all til you've seen it on laserdisc!

15. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

Ok guy, I listen to the Beatles and really like them, yet i have no idea what this includes. Could someone please fill me in?

Thx,L8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

16. andrew markworthy

Deepak, the Beatles Anthology was an authorised documentary series made for TV a few years ago. It basically follows the band from its earliest Quarrymen days right up to the breakup. What makes it of great interest is that it includes interviews with all the surviving Beatles (George was of course still alive then) and key personnel. In addition, there are in the background alternative takes, demos, etc, of many of the Beatles songs (including a fantastic demo of 'While my guitar gently weeps' over the end credits of one programme). The downside is that it is very sanitised, and a lot of the acrimony is glossed over or even ignored (if you want to read about the Beatles'story, try getting hold of Philip Norman's 'Shout' which is probably the best single introduction to the subject).

The series had a CD tie-in - three double CDs called (not surprisingly) Anthology 1, Anthology 2, and Anthology 3, which comprise alternative versions of many of the songs, live recordings, etc.

17. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I hope they include the Real Love video which is missing from the laser disc.

18. Steve Meskell

Steve Meskell Second Unit

All signs point to a 5:1 mix on the DVD's. I hope as on the Yellow Sub. DVD it has a separate music only 5:1 track. Or how about a feature of playing only the musical performances.

19. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

Although one can never tell until it is released, reliable sources have indicated that it was remixed for 5.1, and in fact, that is what has taken so long (over 5 years).

And I second the recommendation for Philip Norman's 'Shout' book.

20. Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy Second Unit

I'll give a third nod to Philip Norman's book, Shout. It is without question the best Beatles book available and I've read quite a few of them!