What's new

The 100 (CW) - season 1 (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ok, that makes sense.

Episode 3: Huge, huge events. Big spoilers follow.

The truth of Clarke's father comes out: it was her mother that turned him, and not her best best friend Willes, as she'd long believed. The truth is revealed...and he's killed by deranged Charlotte.

There's now a killer acid cloud storm that rolls through on occasion. Octavia's would be boyfriend, Rhys, is killed by it.

Bellamy, would-be ruthless dictator, learns that Clarke has the biggest brass balls of them all. She is the one who puts down the terminally wounded Rhys.

It's only three episodes in, so I could be premature. But I'm amazed where the big boy networks are putting out dreck like Shield, Dome, Revolution, Almost Human and CW is sneaking in some of the most exciting sci-fi of the past few years. It's as if they hope you won't notice they've got a killer script if they wrap it up in beautify twenty-somethings. Wild.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Dave,Clarke is easily the equal of Bellamy when it comes to being strong-willed. She's also vulnerable, but she picks and chooses when (and with whom) she reveals it very carefully. I also think she's a born leader.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Bellamy's second is falsely identified as Willes' killer and nearly killed in a mob lynching--will Bellamy kicking the block out from under him, to satisfy the crowd and maintain his power. Charlotte comes forward, and he's barely spared. Clarke tries to save Charlotte -- to prevent the group from falling into total anarchy. But ultimately fails, and Charlotte sacrifices herself for Clarke. Bellamy's former thug is banished from the camp.In the last failed attempt to establish contact with the station, all the wrist bands are fried. To the station, every kid is dead.And Raven gets the pod launched and is on her way to Earth to report the truth back to the station. Though it may not matter much longer with the vice-Chancellor growing his power base. This episode was a morally gray story, done with finesse most TV doesn't try nor succeeds at. I was impressed.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Raven made it to Earth. Bellamy finds her first and throws the radio in the lake. The Chancellor votes to euthanize 300 people due to accelerating oxygen problems. Abby plays her deceased husbands video, to warn the population. How do you solve the classic Lifeboat problem? With volunteers. It was an elegant and moving resolution to this quandary. And it did a nice job of moving playing the sci-fi and moral questions into an emotional and humanizing plot element. On Earth, the 100 come together to send up rocket flares to try and alert the station. It's too late for the sacrificed, but it may be in time to save the rest. And Octavia meets a grounder.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I finished season one last week, and I'm looking forward to season two! While the early episodes were stronger than the later episodes, this was a solid show all the way through. Of some surprise, Kane was not the one-dimensional bad guy I expected at the start. He was true to himself, always pursuing the greater good, but while that pushed him towards terrible actions initially, he shifted views so that he became more self-sacrificial without losing who he was.

Clarke we've learned is a pragmatist. She's less concerned about absolute morality, and more about surviving, whatever it takes. This too surprised me. From the start, I thought she was going to be the moral center. But that's not Clarke.

I don't want to overstate how good The 100 is, because I could. It's not a sublime show. But it's strong, with writing nuances belied by the typical CW 20-something casting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks