Senior HTF Member
The100_S06_001.jpg

Previous Season Threads:
Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Season 5

"The 100" will (finally!) begin its 13-episode sixth season on April 30th.

Here's the Season 6 extended trailer: [Mod: original video removed at YouTube. New links posted below]

The fifth season finale ended Book One, and the series's run on Earth. Once it became clear that life wasn't coming back to the planet, all but two of the 411 people still alive went cryo-sleep. Clarke and Bellamy were woken up by a stranger, who revealed himself to be Monty and Harper's son. A video in the command center of the ship, left behind by Monty, revealed that they'd been in cryo-sleep for 125 years. Once he realized that there was no saving Earth, he pointed the ship toward a possible inhabitable planet in a distant binary star system. Looking out through the glass, Clarke and Bellamy realize the ship is in orbit around this new planet.

Last edited by a moderator:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
That is one crazy trailer.

Not as awesome as Season 5’s trailer, but still intriguing.

And like a good trailer, it doesn’t give away anything (who knows anything about the context of those scenes - they could come from ep1 or ep13)

I can not wait for April 30th.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This show has from the beginning been really intriguing for me, and the way they advance the storyline has been really solid for a fantasy-sci fi genre series. Eager for Season 6!

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
So what did everyone think? For me it was not the strongest opening episode, but I like the possibilities the new world brings to the story line.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I read that the creators felt that they viewed the opener as a two-parter. So the full effect won’t hit us until next week.

I think we were spoiled by the one-two punch of last season’s awesome open.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Their whole "be better" ethos isn't off to a great start. They killed three of the first four people they came into contact with.

As soon as they talked about the vents only being large enough for the small frame of a child, I knew they'd be waking Madi from cryo. That being said, she somehow managed to grow about half a foot in cryo:), so she wasn't that much smaller than the adults this episode.

The final beat tonight with the children left me intrigued. Is this village not the primary human residence on Sanctum? Is Sanctum not the primary human residence for the Eligus IV descendants?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This has setup again a series of a ton of possibilities where I have no actual idea where it is going, but I'm going to trust it will be good.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Overall, I thought it was a decent episode. More questions than answers. Almost a callback to season 1, when the mysterious planet had to reveal its secrets slowly.

I really liked the disorienting camera work.

And more great Murphy scenes/dialog.

And watching Octavia realizing she doesn't know where she fits in the new world (asking to be punished).

Their whole "be better" ethos isn't off to a great start. They killed three of the first four people they came into contact with.

Well, to be fair, it wasn't any of The 100 who killed the three people, it was Diyoza (who hadn't heard/seen Monty's video yet). And the four people didn't act in a friendly way - they gassed the first people they met (a version of shoot first, ask questions later).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm intrigued. Last season I was getting pretty bored. I've lost track of the ups and downs and who has betrayed and/or killed whom. And it's increasingly left the novel sci-fi behind for just CW melodrama.

I'm hooked by the huge changeup in location, in resetting them back to the first season, after a fashion. It's not perfect. But I'm more engaged than I've been for a season or two.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's really invigorating to have a new environment to explore. The nature of the Book 1 premise, on Earth, was that the world got smaller and smaller as more of it got destroyed. Here is some place completely alien, and the various human factions are also completely unknown to our protagonists.

At the same time, it's interesting how there are certain parallels between the Grounder society and the Sanctum society, especially with night blood marking you for leadership.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Well, that was a doozy of an ending. I'm guessing that the writers watched Get Out while planning out this season.

Obviously, it makes whatever our band of survivors do to Sanctum fair game, since the entire thing is a cult built around a small number of individuals using technology to harvest bodies in order to enjoy effective immortality.

Is Clarke really erased, or just suppressed? If the latter, I pity every single person in her path when she reemerges.

My main question: It's pretty clear that this is similar tech to the Flame that passes along the previous commanders. That was symbiotic technology, but this is far more insidious. Why would it ever have been developed in the first place? What was the strategic argument for creating a small elite of immortals?

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, that was a doozy of an ending. I'm guessing that the writers watched Get Out while planning out this season.

Obviously, it makes whatever our band of survivors do to Sanctum fair game, since the entire thing is a cult built around a small number of individuals using technology to harvest bodies in order to enjoy effective immortality.

Is Clarke really erased, or just suppressed? If the latter, I pity every single person in her path when she reemerges.

My main question: It's pretty clear that this is similar tech to the Flame that passes along the previous commanders. That was symbiotic technology, but this is far more insidious. Why would it ever have been developed in the first place? What was the strategic argument for creating a small elite of immortals?

I'm wondering if the past Commanders that are in Clarke will somehow come into play in saving her. I'll bet the Primes never took over someone who had previous personalities.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Another fantastic episode last night.

I loved the scene when Gaia spoke to Josie.

“John”

Octavia and Diyoza in quicksand

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's really gratifying that our protagonists figured out what was up less than a day after Delilah and Clarke were overwritten. Too many CW shows have a bad habit of making the protagonists behave stupidly to prolong the drama.

It's also interesting that our protagonists, who have all done such horrible things, find themselves here in a position of moral superiority. They might be, by and large, genocidal murderers -- but at least they're not technological vampires like the Primes.

Based on the flashbacks via the video recordings, it appears that the devices that the primes were implanted with were designed to preserve their memories as a resource for the colony. Josephine's boyfriend Gabriel then spent decades conducting Mengele-esque experiments to figure out a way to transfer those preserved consciousnesses and memories into new host bodies, in a way that was not intended by the planners for the Eligius III mission.

We know that all of the original colonists of Eligius III were Nightbloods, enhanced to withstand the cosmic radiation of interstellar journeys. Once the colonies were established by the initial colonists, repopulation was to occur using stored embryos to reintroduce genetic diversity until there was a large enough surface population to be sustainable without the risks posed by inbreeding. It appears that the embryos were not genetically enhanced to be Nightbloods, and seven generations later the Nightbloods are a relatively rare occurrence. It also appears that the technology to create Nightbloods did not make the journey with them; otherwise Abby having figured out a method to do so wouldn't be such a big deal.

Josephine accurately read John Murphy as someone who has a history of placing self-preservation above all else. That has changed somewhat over the course of the series, but whatever he saw between when his heart stopped and when he was resuscitated clearly spooked him and he would likely do quite a bit to avoid facing whatever he saw. However, he's also pretty good at reading a situation, and he has to know that the likelihood of the Primes keeping their word about making him immortal once he's an artificial Nightblood is slim to none. Much more likely, he would used as a host for one of the Primes killed onboard the Eligius IV ship.

There are a few wildcards in play: The rest of the ground team now knows Sanctum's dark secret, and they're still free. Bellamy knows that Clarke has been overwritten, and he's not dead yet. Madi, the only other known Nightblood from Earth, has the Flame inside her so she's an unknown variable when it comes to this process. And Gabriel's rebels in the woods are quickly filling in the blanks for Diyoza and Octavia, probably the two most individually lethal human beings left in existence. Gabriel himself is a mystery, since he invented the consciousness transfer, and -- given how much time has elapsed since that video was recorded -- has made use of it himself. But he clearly turned against his creation and the faux-religion established to support it. Based on the remarks from his followers, he is now very physically old, and might be suffering from some sort of dementia.

I'm wondering if the past Commanders that are in Clarke will somehow come into play in saving her. I'll bet the Primes never took over someone who had previous personalities.
I don't think the past Commanders are in Clarke, they're in the Flame. But because the Flame was in Clarke, I think there's a copy of Clarke's consciousness circa the third season finale inside the Flame; she is one of the past Commanders that Madi has access to.

If they can use Sanctum's technology to transfer the copy of Clarke's consciousness in the Flame, they can probably overwrite Josephine and restore Clarke in her own body basically from backup storage. It would then be Clarke, but without any memories of the last 131 years (the last six years on Earth, the entirety of the long sleep, and everything this season so far). Because it's the same consciousness, would she then be able to recover the biologically stored memories from that time? An open question.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks