The 100 (CW) - season 1

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    If I remember one of the early episodes correctly, the Ark was put together from pieces of other stations. It's entirely possible they used parts from whatever vehicles they had to make sure the Ark remained functioning. Kinda shortsighting, but it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

It's also possible that they started out with a much smaller population on the space stations, but weren't always so aggressive in enforcing their population control policies.

3. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    You know, this show plays a lot of gutsy, intriguing angles. In a lot of ways it is starting to remind me of the BattleStar Reboot in tone. It has a fairly tight poltiical infight going on at the same time that a group is fighting for survival. I find the combination really interesting and I'm surprised that the kids on the planet are able to fairly effectively fit into their roles without hamming it up.

Whoever did the casting on this did a better than expected job. I'm rooting for this show to get a pickup.

To me, Revolution has been such a major trainwreck this year (it started on an interesting path and then kind of swerved into 'I hate every character' territory) and this show managed to take the SciFi Wednesday baton and really do something interesting with it.

I'm hoping we see this return.

4. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Agreed 100%, Matt, on the BSG similarities. The 100 isn't afraid to go to some very dark places, mix up the storylines, gives adults and "kids" an equal amount to do and be realistic to the situation. There's a little bit of everything here from politics to romance to sci fi and everything in between.

I realized that when I was watching last week's episode. Most CW shows would heavily favor the story on the ground and leave the Ark story as a distant B plot. Not here. Everyone is getting compelling stories and the chance to do something important.

Is it perfect? Nah, but nothing ever is. The cast (all of them) are a bit too CW-y looking for me...then again, I understand this show is breaking the network's mold, so there are compromises to make. All in all, I'm happy I signed on for the show and I'm looking forward to a season 2 as well. Season 1 is slated to end in mid-June.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Man, Kate Vernon just locks up these scheming, destructive space station personalities roles, doesn't she? Her and her henchmen staging Shumway's apparent suicide was yet another scene that seemed way more graphic than normal for the CW.I'm really liking Bellamy and Clark as sort of joint consuls in charge of the 100's camp, though I didn't really buy Clarke's empassioned speech about how much Bellamy had done for the camp, given that he'd spent more than half of every previous episode screwing everybody else over. But I like the idea of two people with vastly different life experiences and as different of backgrounds as you can get growing up on the same tiny (relative to earth, anyway) space station finding common ground and each coming to respect and rely on what the other brings to the table.We'll likely find out the fate of the show at Thursday's CW upfront presentation, but TV by the Numbers has it at a 90-95 percent chance for renewal and TVLine calls it "a safe bet" for renewal.

Ockeghem likes this.
  6. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Adam,I like your thoughts on Bellamy and Clark. From the pilot it was obvious to me that Clark is a natural-born leader. So when Bellamy was the apparent leader on Earth, I was wondering who might eventually end up being the alpha. I think it was last week's episode (or the one before that) where Bellamy said something like 'that's the cost of being in charge' (to Clark); what I still don't know is if he was complimenting Clark or wishing her luck when he said that. ;) At first I thought it was a passing of the torch, but thinking it through for a while I now believe it was just thoughts of encouragement (Bellamy style, anyway) for an isolated incident.

During the interrogation scene of the grounder last week, I very much wanted either Octavia or Clark to take Bellamy out of that situation somehow. The anguish on Octavia's face seemed quite heartfelt and was convincing to me, although with regard to Clark I don't know because she is so darn strong inside and out. It was nice later on to see Clark (I think she was alone) releasing her emotions like she did.

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  7. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I do like that Henry Ian Cusick's character is not the bad guy that we all thought from the previews and first few episodes. I am assuming they are in some forested section of Virginia. Since we see no ruins...except for the buried van and shelters.

8. Adam Lenhardt

Officially renewed for season two
    Me too. He's too good of an actor to be wasted on a one-note villain.
    Given the amount of time that has transpired since the bombs went off -- roughly a century, I think -- all of the wooden structures would have rotted and collapsed, especially in the humid environment presented on the show. In the mean time, vegetation would have grown up, died, and rotted so that most signs of civilization like roads and the like would be buried.All of the surviving structures we've seen have either been metal or concrete.I did wonder why, with them so worried about surviving the winter, they didn't try to settle in the supply depot. It's underground, which provides a certain amount of insulation, there are limited entrances, making it easier to defend than their current camp, and it provides cover from the elements.

Ockeghem likes this.
  9. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
  10. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    You want to talk about an episode that starts of DARK. Wow.

I'm more grateful now for a Season 2, because this has become a heck of a political thriller at the same time we have a storyline on the ground.

Ockeghem likes this.
  11. Adam Lenhardt

My guess is that the explosion we saw at the end of the episode was a piece of debris and not the exodus ship. That being said, it would be the kind of ballsy storytelling I've come to associate with the show if it was the exodus ship, and everyone on board was dead. Either way, my guess is that Abby survives somehow. I would bet on a Clarke/Abby reunion scene before Abby's fair game to be killed.

12. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Adam,I could be wrong, but two of my children said that they saw Abby on the ground after the explosion. I didn't see her though, so I'm a bit skeptical. Perhaps others will weigh in on whether they saw her there or not.I loved the episode either way. The bomb (the one set off near the middle of the episode) was quite unexpected. It caught us all off guard, especially since a little child was reciting words of encouragement at that moment.

I do like how Bellamy is praising Clarke more often than not now. It's almost as if he's had an epiphany of sorts after the torture segment of a few weeks ago. The female leader of the Grounders was interesting too. She seemed quite confrontational toward Clarke, and as it turns out she had a right to be given what had happened to that point and given what eventually happened as they were talking (the 'ambush' of sorts which occurred unbenounced to Clarke et al.) after they had initially met.

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

This show has quietly become a show I look forward to watching. I want to know what's up with the Grounders, and why they all speak the same language as the 100.

14. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Why wouldn't they speak English? The 100 landed in the US and it's only been 99yrs since the war. No reason that any survivors would lose the language....If this was 1000yrs in the future. I could understand.

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Are they in the US (I had not paid any attention as I wasn't sure if Earth had people who lived through a century of the fall-out).

16. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

They are definitely in the US. I think I remember them saying that one of the shelters they wanted to get to was in the western part of Virginia.

17. Adam Lenhardt

Yeah, they're in Northern Virginia, about a day's walk from the Mount Weather Emergency Operations Center, one of the real world continuity of government bunkers.So it makes perfect sense that the grounders speak American English. The bigger question for me is why all of the people from the space station do, given that it was supposed to be a unified project bringing together populations from something like 19 different national space stations.

18. Adam Lenhardt

The Mongols chased the Italians onto boats back to Europe, carrying rats carrying fleas carrying the Black Death. The British colonists collected smallpox-infested blankets and distributed them to Native Americans to thin out their ranks. I love that this show is utilizing real world parallels like this.I love the way Raven's bomb mushroomed out like a nuclear weapon, and the obvious power that had in the psyches of both the surviving of the 100 and the Grounders. At first glance, the Mountain Men Lincoln spoke of would seem to be a competing tribe of grounders, but I'm wondering if some remnant of the government did survive in Mount Weather, and use the facility's advantages to rule over their immediate territory.And how many other CW shows would quote Oppenheimer paraphrasing the Bhagavad Gita? Zero, that's how many.EDIT: And I'm glad they didn't kill off Raven. Lindsey Morgan's probably the most talented cast member among the teenagers.

19. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    Yeah this show is shockingly smart, brutal, original... I didn't expect anything like this from CW. I had figured with all of the kids on earth this would go more Lord of the Flies.. instead, this has turned into something I totally didn't expect.

The way they are handling both the gore and the risk is something I would have associated with cable.. this show is high on my list to buy the first season. It started out "OK' but each week it has built a really unique and fairly terrifying storyline and I have ideas of how it -could- go, but it surprises me in a where I say "wow, I didn't expect that" instead of where I say "well, that throws me out of the story".. because the surprises SEEM reasonable in relation to the world they are in.

Ockeghem likes this.
  20. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    I too, enjoyed this week's episode.
    I liked how they didn't go back to the space station - so we still aren't sure that what fell was actually the escape ship. Yes, everyone assumes that, but it could also have been that part of the station we saw breaking off last week. The way it left the question open was well done. Not being able to communicate leaves the 100 (or is it the 86 85 now), and the viewers in the dark.

Adam Lenhardt likes this.