What's new

The 100 (CW) - season 1 (2 Viewers)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thanks Scott! I binge watched the first three episodes a few weeks back and they all got jumbled for me.

I'm starting to think The 100 would be a really good limited series. I mean, how many of the 100 have they killed already? There isn't an unlimited supply of kids on Earth. And the story falls apart if you introduce all the adults from the Ark, at least in my mind.

Maybe I should just read the book already...

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jason,No problem. Incidentally, the title of the series does not refer to the number of people whom have been grounded. It refers to the number of years (100) that those on the ark have to wait until they can inhabit the earth again.

Just kidding of course. Perhaps I need to be 'floated' for those remarks! ;)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
A couple of thoughts in regards to some of the prior postsFirst of all, I think the Lord Of The Flies story is the one they want to tell (for now).As to the number of deaths, and it being a mini-series. So far, there have only been five deaths (two in the crash, one by poisonous/burning gas, one murder, and one suicide). That is only 5% (actually less, because (iirc), Bellamy's sister was a stowaway, meaning there were originally 101 children). So, with about one death per episode, at this rate, the show could run for 4 years.
As for the 'impending triangle'. The impression I had from a couple of weeks ago was that Raven and Finn were siblings, not lovers. I know that 'Desmond' (sorry, I don't recall Henry Ian Cusick's character name) said 'boyfriend', but I interpreted that in a colloquial partners-in-crime manner rather than a romantic manner. I would find it hard if the adults on the station kept tabs on which teenager was dating which teenager.And they have shown several of the teenagers leaving camp to hook-up.
I'm enjoying the show. The Abby-Bellamy dynamic is interesting.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
There may only have been five deaths in real time, but Clarke's dad was also spaced. Sure, it was in the past, but I still count it.

I don't find it hard to think they're being kept track of. For instance, it's mentioned a couple of times Abby is and was tracked around the Ark. Moreover, if you have limited resources and you can't support babies and a larger population, wouldn't you be watching what's going on a lot closer than normal?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
David,LOL. When watching the show, my children and I refer to Kane as 'Desmond' often.

I like a lot of things about Clarke thus far. I especially like the Clarke-Bellamy dynamic. I hope they develop Jasper and Octavia more too. I was fairly certain while watching the pilot that Clarke and Octavia would become closer after their "he's mine" and "I don't care" remarks.

I like the shifts back-and-forth between the ground and the ark story lines. I think both are compelling, the second one especially so now that we have seen some backstory (via flashbacks) regarding Clarke's father. I really didn't like seeing Charlotte take the 'demons' remark literally. Her actions following her interpretation of what she had been told jolted us somewhat while watching that episode recently.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I was really shocked with Charlotte jumping off the cliff, honestly. That's not something I expect to see on a network show. Very dark but makes sense...and it reinforces (as did Wells) that no one is really safe.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What is "the Abby-Bellamy dynamic"?

Abby (Clarke's mother) is on the space station. Bellamy is the alpha male on earth, trying to lead the rabble.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Is anyone thinking that (somehow) Charlotte might still be alive after having jumped?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tonight's episode got back to being a show about ideas, and it was a very strong hour of television. The events on the space station kept me riveted, with adult characters that show real depth and complexity. When instead of riots they got volunteers will to die so that others could live, I was actually moved.And after playing up Bellamy's machismo cult leader vibe with his little love shack tent, he's revealed to everybody as a fundamentally self-interested party with very big enemies. And unburdened of that weight and enlightened to the stakes, he makes the right choice. Instead of being about infighting, the story on the ground was about the kids banding together for a common purpose in an attempt to save those they thought they'd never want to see again.And even though it wasn't in time, it worked.If all of that wasn't enough, we're promised our first real interaction between of the 100 and a grounder. It should be interesting.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, this show is actually setting up some really interesting sci fi, and that's been missing from network TV. SyFy channel can get some good ones in. (Helix most recently, I enjoyed Defiance more than most) But I'm really happy with how this has come together

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I don't know if this show catches on and gets a second season, but compared to so many other network attempts at this genre (I'm thinking of the failed Terra Nova) this is at least really unique. I liked that this episode was mostly set on the surface, which gave us a new perspective.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I liked this episode - especially the back story with Octavia and Bellamy.

I also like that there are two types (at least) of grounders.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This show can get surprisingly dark for a series that you think aims at the young market. I still don't have a clue if this has a chance for renewal, but it's fairly well realized comparison to anything I expected.

I'm interested in finding out more about the ground-dwellers, as a seemingly odd 'how did this work out' moment.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
mattCR said:
This show can get surprisingly dark for a series that you think aims at the young market. I still don't have a clue if this has a chance for renewal, but it's fairly well realized comparison to anything I expected.I'm interested in finding out more about the ground-dwellers, as a seemingly odd 'how did this work out' moment.
I'm not surprised there are survivors. With preparation, shelters could exist. Perhaps their leader was a wheel-chair bound, German accented man (with an uncontrollable black-gloved hand):)I agree about the darkness. But unlike some other shows, this does a good job in addressing the moral conflict (the shows I stopped watching just accept or even revel in the darkness)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
This show can get surprisingly dark for a series that you think aims at the young market. I still don't have a clue if this has a chance for renewal, but it's fairly well realized comparison to anything I expected.
It's looking very positive for renewal. It's performing better than Beauty and the Beast, The Carrie Diaries, Star-Crossed and The Tomorrow People, and the odds of the CW cancelling five of its shows at once are very slim.
I'm interested in finding out more about the ground-dwellers, as a seemingly odd 'how did this work out' moment.
The 100 were originally supposed to land at the Mount Weather government continuity bunker in northern Virginia, but landed 20 miles off-course. Every attempt to reach Mount Weather seems to put them into grounder territory. I'm wondering if the grounders are the survivors of those who did ride out the nuclear holocaust at Mount Weather, and only surfaced once the resources ran out.
David Weicker said:
I agree about the darkness. But unlike some other shows, this does a good job in addressing the moral conflict (the shows I stopped watching just accept or even revel in the darkness)
This is the key point for me, too. It really grapples with its moral dilemmas rather than using the tense situation as an excuse for depravity. One of my favorite moments in last night's episode was when Kane, the Machiavellian vice-chancellor played by Henry Ian Cusick, broke down upon realizing that they'd snuffed out the lives of 320 people when another solution existed. Even the "bad" guy is not amoral.Likewise, Clarke is furious at her mother for betrayed her father, but while Finn's life is in danger, she sets that aside and patiently follows her mother's medical instructions.And even the torture storyline with the captured grounder humanizes the tortured rather than dehumanizes him.Watching bad people do bad things is boring to me. Watching flawed people do the best they can in impossible situations is endlessly fascinating to me.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't figure out why the people killed on the station weren't given the chance to go back to Earth. They're still not sure of the situation on Earth. It would seem like a better option, albeit a possibly miniscule chance of survival, rather than just lay down on the floor and die.

The self-sacrifice was touching, but it seems like there were other options that were willfully ignored.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm R said:
I don't figure out why the people killed on the station weren't given the chance to go back to Earth. They're still not sure of the situation on Earth. It would seem like a better option, albeit a possibly miniscule chance of survival, rather than just lay down on the floor and die. The self-sacrifice was touching, but it seems like there were other options that were willfully ignored.
At the time, the station's leadership hadn't had any contact from Earth, and the data they did have pointed to all of the 100 being dead. On top of that, they only have enough vessels to send another 700 people to Earth out of the thousands on board the space station. If Earth hadn't been inhabitable yet, they'd have needed to save those for when it is. Otherwise, the people on the space station will be trapped in space.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I hadn't heard there were only transports for 700 people. Seems short-sighted to build a space station, then only have transports for a small portion of the people to ever leave. Though "not enough lifeboats" seems to be a repeated tragedy in history.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks