What's new

Stuffing Question (1 Viewer)

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
When you stuff a sealed box with wool or fiberglass, does it have any other effect besides fooling the driver in to "seeing" a bigger box? IE, is efficiency or any other parameter effected by stuffing the box?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Gees Tyson I can't you asking this.... ;)

It absorbs part of the rear wave converting it to heat (=frictional loss). Depending on the damping material used and the driver's passband, it absorbs the higher frequencies coming from the driver. Also depending on the passband it can decrease certain standing waves. And if too much of it is used, the efficiency drops.

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
Hehe. How's the house coming? We'll have to get together again, I got some nice scotch to share :) (Balvenie Double Wood).

The funny thing is I'm not using the stuffing for a subwoofer, but for a pair of headphones :) They have good drivers but poor/flimsy ear cup construction (hollow w/no acoustic treatment, and flimsy plastic), so I've re-inforced the cups and stuffed it with acoustically absorbent material. Made a nice improvement in sound, but it seems quieter overall, so thats why I was wondering about the effects on efficiency of stuffing an enclosuure behind a driver.

JoeFish

Stunt Coordinator
mmmm Balvenie. ;) If you like that, give The Macallan a try. The 12 is good, the 18 is exquisite.

-Joe

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
Got Macallans already, about 3/4th's already drank :) Also have Highland Park at the moment, good stuff too. Highland Park is more peaty than Balvenie (which is only slightly peaty), and Macallans (which is not peaty at all). My favorite peaty scotch has got to be Lagavulin (very nice, but not for neophytes :) )

CarlDais

Stunt Coordinator
Try Oban 18 year is all we have in OKC.
If you like Highland...Oban will please you.

Have you ever given some single Malt Irish
whiskey a try? There are even some very nice
Peat smoked Single Malt Irish.... soooo much
better thant he usual Bushmills or Jameson.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks