What's new

Podcasts Discussing Movies (1 Viewer)

jra66

Agent
Real Name
Jason Ader
Hello everyone,

I am updating my podcast list as my drive to work just got a bit longer. I was curious as to what everyone's favorite podcasts are relating to modern movies, classic movies, scripts, Golden Age of Hollywood, Bluray and DVD releases, etc.

I'll get this thread started with some interesting podcasts that I thoroughly enjoy, but I really would like to add some more historical and analytical podcasts.

1. Classic Film Jerks - Join movie fans Michael DiGiovanni and Andrew Bloom as they set out to determine if all these so called classic films are indeed just that. My thoughts: Short and sweet movie (usually under an hour) reviews from guys who haven't seen the classics, until now. They recast with today's actors and ask "Who's not dead?" from the original cast among other topics. Very unique podcast and highly enjoyable.

2. The Cine-Files - Each week on the Cine-Files we enter the world of great film and explore its ideas, history, filmmakers and the influences it has on movies today. My thoughts: A staggering level of quality content of a wide variety of genre's and decades. Most episodes are over an hour and sometimes will spend more than one episode on a particular film.

3. Jaret Goes to the Movies! - Jaret Reddick (of the Band, Bowling for Soup) and Rich Coleman review popular movies from their past each week and hilarity ensues. My Thoughts: Now this one is different and will not be for everyone. Sometimes it takes 20-30 minutes to actually get to talking about the movie, and there is insight into the personal lives of those talking without any connection to the movie, but with most episodes being 2 hours long, this is a wonderful way to revisit some films if you just want to hear people being silly and talking about it. Profanity and sexual references do occur!

Honorable Mentions:
4. Finleys on Film
5. Into the Archives
6. Scriptnotes

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
80s All Over. Drew McWeeny and Scott Weinberg discuss every feature film to get a theatrical release during the decade. Each episode covers one month. They're up to the summer of '83 now.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Incomparable is a general-interest geek pop culture podcast. But with that they sometimes do movie discussions typically about new and old scifi, fantasy, comic-book movies.

Within the podcast, they've tagged a subset as belonging to the "Old Movie Club" because some of their panelists are fans of classic musicals and dramas and etc, and they're not limited to a rigid view of "geek" culture.

The greater network has other shows on movies, but I've not listened to them so can't specifically recommend. I'm just a fan of The Incomparable podcast per se, having been listening for about five years.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I only really listen to one podcast and it's called You Must Remember This. It's about the secret and/or forgotten histories of Hollywood. Generally, there's multiple episodes on a subject. The most recent was a series on Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi. Other series include what the stars did during World War II, MGM's heyday, Jane Fonda & Jean Seberg, Joan Crawford, the Black List and more.

And for anyone interested in Quentin Tarantino's upcoming movie, there's a 12 part series on the Manson family and the people they were connected to in the entertainment world. Find out the real story so you can tell your friends about the historical inaccuracies that QT will put into his movie. :)

New episodes start next month after not being new since October or November.

http://www.youmustrememberthispodcast.com/

rcmeserve

Agent
Real Name
Robert
‘The Secret History of Hollywood’ includes long, multi-episode histories of Hitchcock, Val Lewton, Warner gangster movies, and the Rathbone Holmes pictures. Well worth the investment in time. Ideal for long trips.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The Projection Booth is another one worth checking out. An episode can go on for hours, and usually includes interviews with cast and crew members.

As is The Director's Cut from the DGA, which has one director interviewing another director following a screening of their film.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I love podcasts, and there are some good movie ones. I second the nods for 80s All Over and The Projection Booth - very professional and enjoyable podcasts, though the last one is very eclectic. They really go in depth on certain films, though - their Conan the Barbarian podcast was over 7 hours long (!!), for example, and chock full of interviews. I used to listen to the Classic Film Jerks but got tired of their incessant, wilful cluelessness about classic Hollywood.

Also well-worth listening to:

For new films - BBC's Kermode and Mayo Film Review (features fun reviews of current movies and at least one big name interview each week).

Another Brit podcast that focuses exclusively on new films, and often features big name interviews, is The Empire Film Podcast, hosted by several writers of that movie magazine.

Filmspotting is also a very good podcast, mostly covering newer movies but with the occasional marathon where they look at a certain director or type of film in more depth. A little more "art film" biased, but another very well-produced show.

For classic film nerds - NitrateVille Radio

And for fans of "so bad its good, or just plain bad" cinema - How Did This Get Made?

Paul Scheer, the comedian who co-hosts the above podcast, has also started a new, more serious one called Unspooled, where he and critic Amy Nicholson are going through the AFI Top 100 films list. It's 4 episodes in so far and is a worthwhile listen.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I'm a big fan of 80s All Over. I'm also getting into Hammer House of Podcast where they're going through the Hammer horror films in order from Quatermass through the 70s. They're only about a dozen episodes in (including their Patreon bonus episodes) so it's a good one to jump on.

If I may self-promote just a bit, I'm also a fan of the one I co-host, Aisle of the Damned, where we talk about new releases and lots of other stuff. A new episode is going up on Friday where we talk about Action Point, Ocean's 8 and Upgrade.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
/film is always funny. i grew up w/dave chen so it's always nice to hear him talk about film again.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I enjoy listening to podcasts in the movies by minute format where every episode the hosts discuss what happens in the minute of the movie they just watched.

http://moviesbyminutes.com/

There are currently 94 movies by minute podcast.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have been listening to “Classic Film Jerks” and I’d just like to caution listeners that they can be fun, but also incredibly annoying. These two guys are so ignorant of classic films that you have to wonder if they have sat with a paper bag over their head and earplugs in their ears for the last 20 years.

Most of the incredibly basic knowledge you can pick up from just flipping through the channels is missing from their brains. They compare much of what they see to Star Wars (Clark Gable is said to be like Harrison Ford) or 90s Saturday morning TV. They know nothing of history either.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have been listening to “Classic Film Jerks” and I’d just like to caution listeners that they can be fun, but also incredibly annoying. These two guys are so ignorant of classic films that you have to wonder if they have sat with a paper bag over their head and earplugs in their ears for the last 20 years.

Most of the incredibly basic knowledge you can pick up from just flipping through the channels is missing from their brains. They compare much of what they see to Star Wars (Clark Gable is said to be like Harrison Ford) or 90s Saturday morning TV. They know nothing of history either.
Many things are described as “old timey”.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Filmweek: Public Radio current week movie reviews out of SoCal.
Dis-Order Every Disney Film: exactly what it says. Discussing every animated Disney movie in order.
Magic Music Review: Fairly sporadic show discussing Disney movie (usually a Dis movie, but musicals and park music are included).
Now Playing: current and classic movie reviews.
Warner Archive Podcast: new releases from the Warner Archive

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Forgive me for sounding like I just arrived from the 20th century, but how does one access a podcast? I don't believe I've ever listened to one. Where do you find them? Is there a YouTube-like site where you can search and pick and choose among them?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Forgive me for sounding like I just arrived from the 20th century, but how does one access a podcast? I don't believe I've ever listened to one. Where do you find them? Is there a YouTube-like site where you can search and pick and choose among them?
I'm lucky if I'm up to the year 2003 so I'm not a ton of help but I would assume that the majority of the ones listed here are on iTunes or can be accessed by looking up their website.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
depends on what platform you are using and what source you are trying to listen from.

if you have a phone like Android, you'll need to google for Android podcast apps that might help you download/synch and/or stream podcasts directly. Google's own Play Music app has the ability to listen to podcasts straight from the app itself, but if you have download and install Google Play/music app.

if you have an iphone, Apple has their own ecosystem so you gotta download their podcast products that will help you download/synch/stream podcasts.

and even using either phone you can also download a straight mp3 and just play it like a music file... but the content inside is still a "podcast".

^if you have tablets it might be similar.

if you are using computers... you can typically listen it to over the web or itunes-like applications depending on what computer platforms you are using.

there are too many choices/methods to listen to podcasts.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My iPhone has a podcast app. There you can search for new podcasts. Once you get one you like, you can subscribe and receive new ones every time they are available. I have 16 shows now I follow. The seem to take up very little space. One from the CBC, (“Under The Influence”), that we only listen to in the car shows 30 saved episodes.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
not all podcasts are available on all platforms due to exclusivity.... so you'll have to find look at each individually.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

That's what we're all here for, Vic. I have an iPhone and have a dedicated player called Overcast. You can search based on the name of the podcast and add a subscription (auto download of each new episode) and download old episodes. I've got 16 episodes right now; a total of 39 different shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks