What's new

The "Guilty Pleasures" Movie Confession Thread (1 Viewer)

Barney1

Grip
Real Name
Vince
Promometheus was mentioned. What I remember is it started as a sci-fi movie but become a horror movie, which happens sometimes. I watched it with a young woman who of course was repulsed by its gross out scenes.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I quite enjoyed 1941, even as I started souring on Spielberg in general. But I haven't seen it since it originally came out, so who knows if I would or wouldn't think it was a good movie now.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I quite enjoyed 1941, even as I started souring on Spielberg in general. But I haven't seen it since it originally came out, so who knows if I would or wouldn't think it was a good movie now.
I get why people don't like it but I think it's a ton of fun and its excesses are part of that fun. Also, it has some great effects work.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
As I have posted previously I enjoy 1941 a lot more than some of Spielberg's more highly regarded features, but I can see why it isn't for every one. That doesn't make it a better film vs. some of those features, just a more enjoyable experience (if that makes any sense.) It does have a 'shaggy dog' narrative style, but it also has a real broad, wacky, comedic sensibility that has always entertained me. It does sort of run out of steam in the final act, but it is a fun film.

I am okay with a 'guilty pleasure' classification because it does deliver a lot of pleasure.

- Walter.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Hackers is one of mine.

Very silly movie but the soundtrack is good and the movie just sucks me into its world.

As a millennial I am a sucker for 80s movies too.

Roadhouse and The Lost Boys are a couple of others.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Since this thread popped again, another one I recently watched is the Paul Bartel movie Scenes from the Class Struggle in Beverly Hills. I don't even know how to describe this odd movie, but for me it is indulgent fun. I originally watched it years ago because I had watched an episode of Star Trek Voyager and I was impressed with Robert Beltran's acting and sought out other things he had done. It got under my skin a bit at the time and every so often I pop it in the DVD player.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
"What's So Bad About Feeling Good?"
You could believe this film to be a parody on the Covid Pandemic until you see that it was released in 1968! Obviously dated, but extremely funny to watch from today's health concerned perspective.
It is uncanny how this silly film got so many details right. For example, here is the film's virus "czar" compared the current Dr. Fauci... %22download_(1).jpeg %22images_(5).jpeg

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I love movie musicals, even flop ones like “Star”, “Lost Horizons”, “Song of Norway”, “Goodbye Mr. Chips” etc. . I remember watching all these post “Sound of Music” flicks by myself in the vast Capital theatre in Windsor Ontario.
No one else would be in the audience!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Tim Burton's "Dark Shadows".

I recognize it isn't a very good film but I love it just the same.
Bring on the 4K Dolby Vision/Atmos!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I might have already posted in this thread earlier in the year, I don’t remember, but I’m too tired and lazy to go hunting and see if I did. My current guilty pleasures are:

Josie and the Pussycats : Rachael Leigh Cook and (OMG) Rosario Dawson are mouthwateringly hot. The supporting cast is great as well. The movie is actually really good and the soundtrack is fantastic.

Pee Wee’s Big Adventure : I was a Pee Wee Herman fan since I was a kid and I stayed up past my bedtime one night and watched The Pee Wee Herman Show on HBO.

Grandma’s Boy : The best Adam Sandler movie that doesn’t star Adam Sandler but everyone else who plays in Adam Sandler movies. Another great cast with some quirky humor and my favorite Italian dish, Linda Cardellini.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Deal of the Century, I believe, is meant to be a Dr. Strangelove style comedy about the insanity of the military industrial complex. The thing is probably most people don't really understand the military industrial complex, the money we pour into it every year, and that for that money, we don't really get a hell of a lot. So, even their failed projects need to be sold to someone to try to get back some of the outrageous R&D money they have spent creating them. I think the film kind of assumes the audience has a grasp of these things but in reality, they likely don't. So, it just plays as goofy comedy to them.

Strangelove at least had at the center of it something people understood, the total destruction of all of humanity. Even then, Joe Dante tells the story of seeing it when it was released and nobody laughed, they watched it as drama, and sat staring at it in silence, probably in horror.

I laugh at Deal of the Century's mix of black humor and goofy humor. At Chase, Weaver, and Hines in their prime. At the idea that this comedy seems insane but is not very far from the truth And really, it may make more sense to people now than it did in 1983.
All I remember about Deal of the Century was the cork in the cast.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Two more to add to my guilty pleasures list are two of my favorites when I was a kid and into BMX racing and bicycle tricks.

Rad : What would Cru Jones do?

BMX Bandits : (Wikipedia says it was released as Shortwave in the United States, however I first saw it on either Showtime or HBO as BMX Bandits when I was about 10 years old) An Australian BMX comedy / heist film starring a 16 year old Nicole Kidman in one of her first acting roles.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Guilty Pleasure's:
Lies And Alibies with Steve Coogan And Rebecca Romijn (2006), Employee Of The Month (2006) Dane Cook and Jessica Simpson, Cashback (2006)Sean Biggerstaff, Thursday (1998) Thomas Jane Aaron Eckhart, Paulina Porizkova, Jennifer's Body (2009) Megan Fox, Shortcuts (1993) Robert Altman film and also his... The Player (1992), Eat My Dust (1976) Ron Howard stars and directs, Payback (remake of Point Blank) w/Mel Gibson (1999), Andy Warhol's Frankenstein in 3-D (1973 (Really Paul Morrisey), Bava's The Whip And The Body with Mr. Lee (1963), Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969). Many more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks