What's new

The "Guilty Pleasures" Movie Confession Thread (1 Viewer)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Guilty Pleasure's:
Lies And Alibies with Steve Coogan And Rebecca Romijn (2006), Employee Of The Month (2006) Dane Cook and Jessica Simpson, Cashback (2006)Sean Biggerstaff, Thursday (1998) Thomas Jane Aaron Eckhart, Paulina Porizkova, Jennifer's Body (2009) Megan Fox, Shortcuts (1993) Robert Altman film and also his... The Player (1992), Eat My Dust (1976) Ron Howard stars and directs, Payback (remake of Point Blank) w/Mel Gibson (1999), Andy Warhol's Frankenstein in 3-D (1973 (Really Paul Morrisey), Bava's The Whip And The Body with Mr. Lee (1963), Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969). Many more.

You feel "guilty" about liking those two Altman films?

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
The fact that every character gets away with what they have done in Shortcuts is kind of funny and The Player so nails down the Hollywood politics and internal workings that you really laugh at it. Those two films "operate" like some of the Russ Meyer pictures.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
My point is that they're really terrific films. Guilty Pleasures are generally thought of as awful movies that one likes despite their being awful.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Agree 100 percent and the proof of that was once I found a theater that was playing them, it was empty, always the sign of a good film for me. Also must add The Bonfire Of The Vanities! Guilty pleasures also include films that you can really, hate to use this term, "get off" on.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
I have always mentioned on my Radio show that in order to appreciate great films, such as the Altman pictures, you also have to appreciate the bad ones (Great Texas Dynamite Chase/ Bloody Pit Of Horror, etc.)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN
This 1958 sci-fi opus was made on a shoestring. And is more celebrated for it's spectacularly misleading poster art than the actual content of the movie. But I've always loved it - from the first time I saw it as a child at a Saturday matinee in 1958. Yes, the special effects are pretty shoddy. But
You are entitled to feel guilty about this one. It holds the Guinness World Record :rolleyes: for difference in quality of the movie and the movie poster. I plead guilty too. Another one from this era that I enjoy but is not a good movie is Deadly Mantis. It’s an all-around bad movie, but I still like it.
Love the gag with the cat vs. spider fight inside the walls of a house.
I love this kind of movie, but I couldn’t get past this scene. It ruined the movie for me.
Valley Of Gwangi - James Franciscus in 1969 stop-motion dinosaur favorite. I remember watching this on on TV and enjoying James Franciscus.
This Ray Harryhausen in top form and it’s on blu ray. I love this film without guilt.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Doug,
Go Easy on Valley Of The Gwangi, it has Gila Golan from Our Man Flint (her name in the Flint film is also Gila!) and James Franciscus who was one of my favorite characters in Il Gato Nove Code ( Cat O Nine Tails).
Malcolm, ever see the double feature of Hillbillys In A Haunted House and Monster A Go Go?

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
This trainwreck is the definition of a guilty pleasure. But I love it so.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I don't think I have any "guilty pleasure" favorites, except maybe The Vampire Lovers and Twins of Evil. Maybe Zardoz can count as one?

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Agree with your double dose of Hammer! I would also toss in Lust For A Vampire (know butchered on television as To Love A Vampire). And there are films that are so bad, there good. One of those for me is At Long Last Love with Burt Reynolds and Cybil Shephard.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
A guilty pleasure for me is pearl harbor by Michael Bay. I remember seeing the promo back when it first came out at the movies and it stuck with me. When I did see the film a lot of stone faces were around me but I kinda liked it. Was it flawed? Yes a ton of them but I liked the idea of what it could have been. The music and cinematography were amazing but the script was kinda bland. It's strange because the writer of the script went on to do " we were soilders" another favorite of mine.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Maybe Zardoz can count as one?

Perhaps. I think for a lot of folks it probably can be considered as such due to its outlandish nature. Personally, as an avid SF reader, I enjoy a lot of the conceptual underpinnings of the film and the ideas it explores. I tend to think of it as misunderstood vs. guilty. But I am probably in the minority in that regard.

Seeing as how this thread is still alive, I thought of another film to mention...

Crank (2006)

Professional assassin Chev Chelios (Jason Statham) is injected with a poison that will kill him if his heart rate drops below a certain threshold. With less than an hour to live, Chev must keep his adrenaline flowing as he searches for the antidote. One hyper active action sequence after another is the engine that drives the narrative of the film. Statham has really carved out a career as a serviceable action hero for himself and this is a worthy entry in that action resume. I tend to think of this as a guilty pleasure due to the concept at the heart of the film.

- Walter.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I don't think I have any "guilty pleasure" favorites, except maybe The Vampire Lovers and Twins of Evil. Maybe Zardoz can count as one?

I'm a Boorman and Zardoz fan. Pretty good picture for being shot in his backyard. Also, I mean the insanity of Connery running around in a red diaper must be seen to be believed.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
I'll take High Noon In Outer Space, er Outland over Zardoz. Zardoz is one of those films that the trailer is more interesting than the film. Good thread to start!

FincherFan

Agent
Real Name
Phiillip
i likely have a few, but the first one that comes to mind is Suckerpunch. it actually looks really cool & has a great soundtrack, but, yes, it's silly.

it also makes me appreciate my wife even more for sticking around when we were dating considering it was our first date movie!

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
FincherFan,
I can't tell you the amount of awards my girlfriend at the time and wife now, deserves for sitting through Suspiria twice in a row, Andy Warhol's Frankenstein twice in a row in 3-D ( I believe she had her eyes closed the majority of the time, she still won't tell me). I took her to see On Golden Pond it was sold out and I convinced her to go and see Lamberto Bava's Demons next door only if I brought her back the next evening for the early show of On Golden Pond. I complied.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks