What's new

Home Theater United Episode 18 - Special Guests: SVS (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Special Guests Nick Brown and Larry McGough of SVS Sound join us to discuss the launch of their new dual driver 3000 Micro Sub and more:
  • History of SVS
  • What are the advantages of a Dual Driver sub?
  • Can we expect larger versions to hit the market? Is this the start of a whole new category?
  • Does having a dual driver help eliminate problems like room nulls?
  • Prime Elevation: Can you explain how they differ from bounce and ceiling mounted Atmos speakers? What’s the best way to set them up in your receiver?
  • Any plans for adding integrated Atmos bounce speakers?
  • SVS is down to two models that feature the iconic tube design, is the age of tube subs coming to a close?
  • How has the reception been to Prime Wireless? I enjoyed my time testing it!
  • Larry’s top 5 subwoofer movie demos
  • SVS using augmented reality on website
  • New SVS SoundPath accessories?
  • SVS Live Streams on facebook and Youtube, when is the next audiophile happy hour and how has the reception to that been going?
  • What do you wish your buyers understood about subs and speakers better, both before and after sales?
Sam's SVS reviews:

Brian's SVS Review:

Other SVS reviews on the forum:

Raya:

Mauritanian:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Micro 3000 specs:

Micro 3000 reviews:

Forum threads:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And @Sam Posten you were right that I look forward to giving this a listen, especially since I'm seriously considering dual SB-16s.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The podcast motivated me a bit. Some planning and expected removal of a useless piece of furniture opens up an ideal location for a second sub. Dual SB16s might be closer than I thought.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, @Brian Dobbs , regarding the discussion late in the podcast, the dual volume controls where powered subs are concerned (trim level(s) and the volume on the sub itself) seems to cause a lot of confusion. Maybe @Dave Upton needs to correct me, but my impression has always been that if your playback volume is where you want it, and the trim in the receiver/processor is close to 0dB, then you have things set ideally. If the trim level is getting low, then you need to increase the volume on the sub so that it is brought back toward 0 and if it's getting high, you need to lower the volume on the sub.

Correction, I said that backwards. If the trim level is low, you need to turn the volume down on the sub.

Last edited:

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
BTW, @Brian Dobbs , regarding the discussion late in the podcast, the dual volume controls where powered subs are concerned (trim level(s) and the volume on the sub itself) seems to cause a lot of confusion. Maybe @Dave Upton needs to correct me, but my impression has always been that if your playback volume is where you want it, and the trim in the receiver/processor is close to 0dB, then you have things set ideally. If the trim level is getting low, then you need to increase the volume on the sub so that it is brought back toward 0 and if it's getting high, you need to lower the volume on the sub.
Thanks JR.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Good show. Enjoyed the chat with SVS.

My own taste, I’m more partial to the hardware talk and TV talk, since I’m far more into TV and then tech than movies these days. And this show was 90% tech talk, so cool. But that’s my bias and not notes on show style. :)

I felt there was confusion about bias versus dynamic range. The discussion about streaming shows not being as loud as discs seemed just completely wrong. And then contradicted later when noting that some discs are mastered at lower volume. Yeah, exactly. Some streaming shows have a lower base volume. Turn up the volume. That’s all. (Don’t know why this is, but it is. The Good Fight on Paramount is super quiet. There are other shows I’ve run into that like this. CW shows were always super “hot”. And then most shows are “normal”.)

I’m also super skeptical that audio in streaming services don’t have the bandwidth for audio and have much less dynamic range than discs. Maybe? I’m not smart on this stuff. But color me dubious of that whole conversation.

Show topic: someone smart and informed to talk about the technical performance and trade offs from streaming. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Really liked the dicsussion of Cylinder, Ported, and Sealed subs and how the Ported and Cylinder basically have same performance with same hardware in a given family. Primarily a question of aesthetics.

I remain curious about getting one or two SVS subs for home theater to take over duty for my in-wall subs. The discussion helped inform that a bit. Will give the AR demo feature a go. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'd guess good.
I think it was good. It was a strange, unexpected movie. I knew nothing going in. It was not “fun”. It was uncomfortable. But I appreciated seeing something not-superheroes, not-action, something with no expectations, and getting good performances.

But I can’t give a simple recommendation either because it’s not happy or fun or easy to enjoy.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Does SVS have a room calculator? Something to suggest or guide sub choice(s) for a given room size?

mylan

Screenwriter
Does SVS have a room calculator? Something to suggest or guide sub choice(s) for a given room size?
No not for a given room size but there is a sub selection guide based on your L and R speakers by brand. I use SVS Prime Towers and it suggested the PB 3000, SB 3000, or the SB 4000. You call them and based on your rooms cubic feet can point you in the right direction. In my room I gave 2160 cf. but it is open to a billiards room and is carpet over concrete.
I really wanted to stay with a sealed sub like my Velodyne HGS 10 and was thinking one or two SB 3000 and they steered me towards a PB 3000. It was the correct call, its huge, only fits in one of two places but gives me the output I need, actually could have went bigger, im no bass head but so far it is adequate. I've only had it a week and am still tweaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks