What's new

Final decisions on bill of materials (2 Viewers)

Colin

Owner
Real Name
Colin
I got around to doing some more precise measurements. If I stick with the SVS 3000 in-wall subwoofers, they have to fit between studs, which would ideally place them about 16" in from the side walls . Imagine them just outside of the front L&R speakers in this mockup:
Screenshot 2023-04-08 at 12.50.54 PM.png

I'm concerned that, from the seated position, they'll be essentially behind the L&R speakers. Is that a concern? I know subs are supposed to be omnidirectional, but I don't know how that would affect the sound of the L&R speakers. Really the only other option would be to put them in the side walls, about 5 feet back (halfway from the projector wall to the seating area). I suppose one other option is to get a transparent screen and put the subwoofers in the wall behind the screen, but @JohnRice, your advice was to put them wider than the side channels.

@JohnRice or anyone else have any input on the in-wall subwoofer placement with my room constraints?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Having them behind the front speakers shouldn’t be a problem. Subs don’t rely on direct radiation like regular speakers.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I got around to doing some more precise measurements. If I stick with the SVS 3000 in-wall subwoofers, they have to fit between studs, which would ideally place them about 16" in from the side walls . Imagine them just outside of the front L&R speakers in this mockup:
View attachment 181003

I'm concerned that, from the seated position, they'll be essentially behind the L&R speakers. Is that a concern? I know subs are supposed to be omnidirectional, but I don't know how that would affect the sound of the L&R speakers. Really the only other option would be to put them in the side walls, about 5 feet back (halfway from the projector wall to the seating area). I suppose one other option is to get a transparent screen and put the subwoofers in the wall behind the screen, but @JohnRice, your advice was to put them wider than the side channels.

@JohnRice or anyone else have any input on the in-wall subwoofer placement with my room constraints?
Again I'll ask why?

You're using free-standing speakers. You have room for conventional subwoofers. Why are you instead compromising with in-wall subs? And if you want four total, buy two more boxes and put them in the back behind your seating, where you definitely have room. I would advocate going in-wall speakers before in-wall subs for aesthetics and room size reasons. Going with in-wall subs and free-standing speakers in your room is an odd cost-benefit design choice.

(I have in-wall speakers because my room size and layout requires it. After six years, last Fall I disconnected my in-wall subs and bought SVS SB3000 subwoofers and found space for them in my room. If I'd known about the SVS in-wall subs, I'd have considered for my sub upgrade. But I'm not sure how hard the retrofit would be for my room.)

Last edited:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Boy, some on here have the gift of gab and nothing wrong with that…except I tend not to read everythingt that person has written beause it’s so damn long.

Me, i really like my Denon 4300, i’ll keep until it dies..
One sentence!

Colin

Owner
Real Name
Colin
Again I'll ask why?

You're using free-standing speakers. You have room for conventional subwoofers. Why are you instead compromising with in-wall subs? And if you want four total, buy two more boxes and put them in the back behind your seating, where you definitely have room. I would advocate going in-wall speakers before in-wall subs for aesthetics and room size reasons. Going with in-wall subs and free-standing speakers in your room is an odd cost-benefit design choice.

(I have in-wall speakers because my room size and layout requires it. After six years, last Fall I disconnected my in-wall subs and bought SVS SB3000 subwoofers and found space for them in my room. If I'd known about the SVS in-wall subs, I'd have considered for my sub upgrade. But I'm not sure how hard the retrofit would be for my room.)
I'm reviewing them for HTF, and if they live up to the hype, I'll keep them. Otherwise, I have a pair of great subs that I'll bring into the room. But from what I've read, they actually shouldn't disappoint. From everything I know so far have been really positive. And if I can save sq ft, it'd be a good thing.

Colin

Owner
Real Name
Colin
Do I need to worry about too much power for a single breaker? I think I was reading another thread where the OP mentioned it.

And if so, do I just add up the amperage of the various components that will be on a single breaker?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks