What's new

*** Official THE HAPPENING Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Instead of throwing insults, I'd like to hear why some of the negative reviews here are negative. Is it because of what caused the suicides? Did you want something bigger than the plants? Wouldn't it have been too silly had it really been the terrorists that caused the outbreak?

My quick little review:

:star::star:1/2

Shyamalan's latest has people on the East Coast killing themselves for no apparent reason. No one knows why the suicides are taking place but rumor has it that the only way to remain safe is trying to reach a safe zone further out west. Mark Wahlberg and Zooey Deschanel play a couple trying to figure out what to do. This certainly isn't a major film or a good one for that matter but I think it's a minor comeback for the director after the horrid The Village and Lady in the Water. I'm not going to ruin what is causing the "happening" but I'm sure some are going to be left with a major disappointment but I didn't mind it too bad. I liked the way the director handled the last days of man theory and for the most part I think he has made a quiet little film that is probably going to draw a lot of heat because it isn't loud and explosive and it doesn't contain anything large. This comes off like an old "B" movie from the 1950's that warns people about their actions and what could come if they don't take advice from those who know about the subject matter. With the secret of the film, it never really causes too much panic with the viewer, which I think is the film's major problem. With the last days of man theory the viewer needs to be on the edge of their seat throughout the entire film and that doesn't really happen. The suicide scenes early on are quite disturbing but they never really draw you into the film as much as they need to. Another problem with the film is the performance by Deschanel, which is downright horrible. At times I just had to laugh at some of her actions and sadly she's in the film all the time. Wahlberg comes off fairly good, although it's hard believing him in the role of a science teacher. John Leguizama has a small role as well but doesn't add too much to the film. In the end, I doubt very many are going to enjoy this film and I'm sure I'll be in the minority. It's not a great movie and it's not a good one but it is mildly entertaining and the director's handling of the material is interesting.

Again, I understand that the majority of people won't like the film but if anyone says this is the worst movie they've ever seen then they are quite lucky or perhaps I just watch too many movies. :)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

While I agree with some of his points.. his thoughts that the hermit woman was a poor character is off base. In fact, she was the most interesting character in the movie. This is a movie with some very bad stuff in it but some really good effective scenes that are overlooked.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There is a review thread. :)

Personally, I hated the performances. If not for them, the movie would have still been bland for me but I disliked the performances so much that I ended up really disliking the entire movie. I'm sure the actors gave the performances that Shyamalan wanted (and just hoped for the best) but I don't understand why he decided it was a good idea to get those performances from his actors. I know he was going for a B movie vibe but almost every other aspect of the movie doesn't come off as a B movie so it just made the performances stand out like a sore thumb.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

I thought Wahlberg did what he could with the role but he's "too tough" to be playing a science teacher IMO. I thought the woman was downright horrid and no one else really stood out for me. With that said, this really did remind me of a Roger Corman like "B" movie where our minds tell us one thing is going on but then it turns out to be something else and something less than what we might have hoped for. I wasn't sure if the anger thrown at this film was like the anger thrown at THE VILLAGE in that people didn't like what the cause was. The bad acting is typical (in a way) for stuff like this.

As I said, I didn't even like the movie enough to recommend it but some of the hatred I'm seeing thrown at the movie kinda leaves me scratching my head. Perhaps it's just this guys movies that people get so upset about? The hatred towards this movie is the same I hold for THE VILLAGE.

I don't think this is a good film but I found it to be a decent comeback after the previous two films to where I'd go and see what he does next. Had this one bombed with me then I would have turned my back on him.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I fell in love with Zooey in Almost Famous. Wow...and my crush was further cemented seeing her as the charming & sweet teacher in Bridge to Terabithia.

She's different looking and truthfully didn't find her as attractive in THappening as usual but she's still a cutie. And those eyes. Those will stop traffic. :)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Compared to the old hermit in the film she was. :D

Sorry, her performance was so bad that whatever she looks like really doesn't matter to me. I haven't seen her in enough films to say she's a horrible actress so I guess the directing could have been making her do what she did.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Zoey Deschanel is a fine actress with genuine range, displayed not just in Almost Famous but in smaller films like Winter Passing and All the Real Girls. She grew up in the movie business, being the daughter of a respected cinematographer (Caleb) and an actress (Mary Jo, best known for Twin Peaks).

Whatever one may think of her performance in The Happening -- and I happen to think it fit the film -- it's deliberate and not a result of poor craft on the actor's part.

M.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm not sure Michael. ALMOST FAMOUS is my pick for the best film of the decade so far but I can't say she really jumped out at me, although I'll pay more attention to her when I watch it again.

The scene that sticks in my mind is when Wahlberg gets home after leaving the school and she's turning the television off and then gives him a look as if he was some sort of monster. The look on her face and her body movements just made me laugh and this scene really ruined my thoughts of her for the rest of the film in terms of acting. I was also really bugged by all the scenes with Joey calling on the cell. Her reactions were too over the top for me but if this is what the director wanted from her then I won't blame her but she will still get labeled with a "bad performance".

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I liked this movie more than I thought I would. I'm not sure I would call it a bad movie, but having said that I do think it had some bad performances. I guess I would say I liked the movie in spite of Wahlberg and Deschanel, both of whom I usually enjoy. I do put a lot of blame on MNS since the script was not strong IMO and because if he wanted a different performance he would have taken steps to get it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Michael,
Did you like this film, I'm asking because I respect your opinion and might catch it anyway despite the negative reviews?

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Not the worst film I have ever seen, but a huge disappointment none the less. I have enjoyed all of Shyamalan's films so far, though Lady In The Water had its problems.

This film felt like Shyamalan had some good ideas but couldn't string them together into an effective story. That was my main problem with the film - there were some really effective moments, but as a whole it just didn't work at all.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Her first CU actually scared me a bit (more than most of the film) because of how dang big her eyes are. They just don't seem normal and that shot exaggerated them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you and based on Shyamalan's comments from the last week making a good "B" movie was his goal with this title.

Crawdaddy

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I expect competent writing, acting and directing - apparently that set the bar too high for Happening.

I wanted to like it. I wanted to like all of MNS's last three flicks. Unfortunately, they were all varying levels of bad, and Happening is the worst of the bunch. Never thought I'd say that after Lady in the Water, but geez, was this an incompetent, amateurish, idiotic movie.

The dude with the tigers is easily the best unintentionally funny scene I've seen in a looong time...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks