What's new

*** Official THE HAPPENING Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
A friend of mine caught the press screening today. He said it fell into the 'so bad it's almost good' category. I am soooo there on Friday after work! :)

taco

Grip
Real Name
Russell
Currently 38% with 8 reviews at rottentomatoes.com
Not surprised really.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Like any movie that I have interest in, I'll see this regardless of reviews. One thing that gives me some hope is that I think Shyamalan is probably the most polarizing director working today. From Unbreakable forward, I've seen or heard negative reviews from all types of people (legitimate critics, guys on messages boards and co-workers) of all of his movies so I'm hoping that I'll end up digging this despite the negative reviews.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
This may be his "best" film ever. Just wait until those Rifftrax fellas get a hold of this one. Im really looking forward to this. I just hope it isn't bad/boring. Bad/funny is a different animal.

A reviewer who reports for ABC news, David Bloustein, just gave it a 1/5. "Is this the same guy who directed Sixth Sense?"

Damn. Just. Damn. This is going to be hilarious!!

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Do we at least get another brilliant score by James Newton Howard? His scores to M Night's films are among his absolute best.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
To me, the music featured during the trailer featuring a bit of the train scene just didn't sound like it belonged. I was scratching my head. It was pleasant enough music though....

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I have had some interest in this movie for a while but the more clips I see the more I wonder. Something just seems...off. Specifically, I saw a clip last night on the late night talk shows where Wahlberg is leading a small group of people through a field. In the background, you hear gunshots and you get some reaction from different people in the group (not spoilered because I am not adding any detail about what is actually going on). The scene just didn't come off genuine to me, maybe more because of Zooey Deschanel's performance but also in part because of Wahlberg. I don't let reviews keep me from seeing something I want to see, but my expectations have seriously dropped.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
You can't judge the music or its placement based on the trailer. The music could be from another part of the movie and just used randomly in the trailer or it may be music from another movie that's just being used in the trailer.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Did Shyamalan write this story too? maybe he needs to try something that he doesn't write. He's an amazing director, IMO. Read it was possibly worse than Lady in the Water. I don't want to witness that, if it's even possible.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
he is a doing the last airbender, not his own story so that might do better.

did anyone see the clip Letterman showed last night.

it was um, silly out of context of the film.

there was a scene with Wahlberg and an older woman and she was yelling at him.
he has this wide eye look on his face and he comes off just sounding silly and the woman just was off too.

also the scene seemed to be shot with a wide lense and
it was sort of a close shot of both of their faces and it almost was like a "wall-eye" look.

think the scene from Hot Shots whenever we saw from "wall eye's" point of view.

I normally don't let myself judge from trailers and clips, i just don't feel good here.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
The wife wants to see this so I'll probably check it out this weekend.

I really like Sixth Sense, loved Unbreakable, liked Signs, and was so-so about The Village. I never did see Lady In The Water after reading the abysmal reviews. I was hoping The Happening would improve on his last few films, but it looks like that won't happen.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I suppose that's possible. I guess I'll find out Saturday afternoon...maybe....erm, unless I chicken out on this one and see Ironman instead.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I really hope this movie is better than the current RottenTomatoes score indicates (6 fresh, 30 rotten). I like all the Shyamalan movies that I've seen (only missed LitW) so I'm expecting The Happening to be good. He's definitely one of my favorite new directors of the last 10 years.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I have my ticket for tonight and after all these reviews, I'm considering not to go! :frowning:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can't list the number of films that were panned by the reviewers that I personally enjoyed despite their negativity. Maybe, I'm just a simple-minded film lover, but at times, my taste in film is quite different than those reviewers. However, with that being said, buyer beware.:)

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks