What's new

General Discussion Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase 5 General Discussion (Spoilers discussed for All Films -- Please Read First Post) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
MCU Phase 1
MCU Phase 2
MCU Phase 3
MCU Phase 4

This thread will contain spoilers so if there is any MCU film you haven't seen yet, the reading of this thread is at your own peril. Again, MCU spoilers will be discussed in this thread without any warnings.

A general thread for discussion related to multiple MCU movies and TV shows in Phase 5.

Known titles for Phase 5 (last updated: 05/26/2023):
#TitleTypeRelease DateDirectorWriterStatus
1Ant-Man and the Wasp: QuantumaniaMotion Picture02/17/2023Peyton ReedJeff LovenessIn Theaters
2Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3Motion Picture05/05/2023James GunnKevin FeigeIn Theaters
3"Secret Invasion" Season 1TV Series06/21/2023Thomas Bezucha and Ali SelimKyle BradstreetPost-production
4"Loki" Season 2TV Series10/06/2023Justin Benson & Aaron MoorheadEric MartinPost-production
5The MarvelsMotion Picture11/10/2023Nia DaCostaMegan McDonnell, Nia DaCosta, Elissa Karasik, and Zeb WellsPost-production
6"What If...?" Season 2TV SeriesLate 2023Bryan AndrewsA. C. BradleyIn Production
7"Echo" Season 1TV SeriesEarly 2024Sydney Freeland and Catriona McKenzieMarion DayrePost-production
8"X-Men '97" Season 1TV SeriesEarly 2024TBABeau DeMayoPost-production
9Captain America: Brave New WorldMotion Picture07/26/2024Julius OnahMalcolm Spellman & Dalan MussonPost-production
10"Agatha: Darkhold Diaries" Season 1TV SeriesFall 2024Jac Schaeffer, Gandja Monteiro, and Rachel GoldbergJac SchaefferPost-production
11ThunderboltsMotion Picture12/20/2024Jake SchreierEric PearsonImpacted by WGA Strike
12BladeMotion Picture02/14/2025Yann DemangeMichael StarrburyImpacted by WGA Strike
13"Daredevil: Born Again"TV SeriesTBDTBAMatt Corman & Chris OrdImpacted by WGA Strike
14"Ironheart" Season 1TV SeriesTBDSam Bailey and Angela BarnesChinaka HodgePost-production

Spoilers won't be needed for any MCU film, including new movies as soon as they release in North America.
Spoilers of MCU Disney+ series should be in spoiler tags until last episode of season has aired.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
That's an ambitious slate for 2023-24, but I'm afraid that most of those streaming shows won't show up on time. I've heard nothing of What If Season 2 being ready before summer, and have read about delays for Echo, possibly to 2024. Of course, delays for Echo could affect Daredevil.

If Daredevil begins on time (early 2024), it is more likely it will tie into the next Spider-Man movie, which is said to be planned for July 2024. IMO, they'd be lucky to make December 2024.

Also missing from the list is Deadpool 3, which comes Nov. 2024.

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
And for me, just Ant-Man 3 and Guardians 3 because I like the leads, enjoyed the previous instalments, and I'm hoping they're more SF than superhero as I'm bored now of the latter.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Didn’t What If s2 get bumped back to late this year or sometime next?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Didn’t What If s2 get bumped back to late this year or sometime next?

My understanding is that it will be sometime this year but they haven't set a date yet. As far as I know, none of the Disney+ shows coming this year have been officially dated yet. The studio seems focused on launching Quantumania right now. I'm sure news about the TV side of things will come in due course.

I'm hoping they're more SF than superhero as I'm bored now of the latter.

You might be looking in the wrong place then.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don’t even know what SF stands for…. Anyway..

Only mentioned the What If thing because I saw in that grid that it’s early ‘23 and it doesn’t seem likely that will happen.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don’t even know what SF stands for…. Anyway..

I can't speak for Rose but I think it means "sci-fi." At least that's what made sense to me.

Only mentioned the What If thing because I saw in that grid that it’s early ‘23 and it doesn’t seem likely that will happen.

That is a good point. Maybe it was moved back. I don't really mind. I'm sure I'll watch the shows, but I'm not on pins and needless waiting for a schedule announcement.

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
Science-Fiction, yes. Must be a British expression not used elsewhere.

But as I said, I enjoyed the previous Guardians and Ant-Man films as science-fiction adventures, so will give these a go.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I would say the term Sci-Fi is way more prevalent here in the US.
When the term "sci-fi" came into wide use, it was mainly used by people who weren't science fiction fans. Science fiction fans continued to use "SF". As science fiction became more mainstream, more and more people became fans and "sci-fi" became more common.

Those of us who are old fart fans of the genre, though, don't tend to use "sci-fi". Admittedly, it's a snobbish thing. Back in the day, the mainstream didn't take science fiction very seriously, and fans felt that "sci-fi" was too cutesy a term, and as such just added to the belief that SF wasn't to be taken seriously.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
When the term "sci-fi" came into wide use, it was mainly used by people who weren't science fiction fans. Science fiction fans continued to use "SF". As science fiction became more mainstream, more and more people became fans and "sci-fi" became more common.

Those of us who are old fart fans of the genre, though, don't tend to use "sci-fi". Admittedly, it's a snobbish thing. Back in the day, the mainstream didn't take science fiction very seriously, and fans felt that "sci-fi" was too cutesy a term, and as such just added to the belief that SF wasn't to be taken seriously.
I’m 60 years old and have been a sci-fi fan all my life and I don’t recall SF ever being used. Weird.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Here an interesting article I found.

Science Fiction vs SciFi vs SF: what is the true definition?​

Hard SF n not satisfied with claiming scientific credibility, many writers of made-up stories further distinguish their work by only making up stories based on ideas drawn from the hard sciences. In particular, physics. Unless, that is, they happen to need a faster-than-light engine to transport characters across the universe, in which case they just ignore physics all together. See also aliens, time travel etc.

Sci-fi n Star Wars made “sci-fi” big business. But for many, it is not true science fiction because it has no basis in science. In fact, most of what the general public thinks of as science fiction is viewed with some disdain by core science fiction fans, who dismiss it as “sci-fi” or “skiffy”. Sci-fi became an early catch all term for many related things, like video games and RPGs, that are now more often called Geek or Nerd Culture.

SF abbreviation because science fiction fans didn’t like “sci-fi”, they started abbreviating what they did like to “SF”. Pronounced “ess eff”, not “sniff”. Because no one knows what SF means, writers and fans are forever telling people it means “science fiction” before then correct people when they say, “Oh, you mean sci-fi,” which tends to annoy both parties. If someone says “I read / write SF” you know you’re talking to a true believer.

Speculative fiction n now things get complicated. Because lots of science fiction writers don’t actually have any science in their SF, they call it “speculative fiction” instead. To make matters worse, even though it’s specifically not science fiction, speculative fiction likewise gets abbreviated to SF. This has also become the default term for literary writers who want to write fiction with science in it, but without calling it science fiction.

So, to recap. Science fiction is a genre consisting of made-up stories with science in. Unless the stories are sci-fi, which doesn’t have science but is what most people think of as science fiction. Unless it’s called SF, of course, which most people think means “San Francisco”. Or speculative fiction, which is what posh people call sci-fi.

Phew! Right, now then.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I’m sports oriented in a lot of things so when I see SF I think it’s related to a San Fran team

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks