What's new

Official 2009 Oscar Discussion (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I agree in many ways with Michael. Yes, I am not only still a passionate fan of In the Bedroom in particular, but also others like 25th Hour, Far From Heaven, Talk to Her and I don't know how many others. In fact, my appreciation of them has grown through the years.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Settle down, chief. You're obviously not happy I pointed out your example was a flawed one, but it's really not that big a deal. You apparently don't think TDK deserved a nomination and I do.....I'm certainly not the only one that's going to disagree with you. Life goes on.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As a person who is satisfied when I find the Best Picture nominees to be merely acceptable, I find these heated arguments a little baffling.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ah, but I don't think anyone will be that passionate about Paul Blart: Mall Cop in a decade despite a large number of people willing to give it a try.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Which might be why some voters didn't give TDK much thought. It seems for the past decade or so some new comic book movie takes over only to be forgotten the following year when the next cool thing comes along. I think many people look at Pixar the same way. One gets gold status only to fall the following year to the next release. I think TDK will live for a long time but people are always going to attack it over Ledger's death. There's no point in debating it because no one will ever know how well it would have done had he lived but it's still going to cause arguments. Even if Ledger gave the best supporting performance, there will still be those saying he only got it because he died.

I loved the film but at the same time I have six films ahead of it on my list with plenty more to watch. I try to be open by watching all the films that one should watch, which is I'm sure more than most voters are doing.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
^^^

Yeah. I'm sure next year everyone will still be talking about "Slumdog Millionaire" and not the next cool thing that came along.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Are we talking about film fans or those who pump $20+ million in something like THE UNBORN or PROM NIGHT in three days? I'd question if 5% of those folks have even heard of SLUMDOG, THE READER, MILK or something like RACHEL GETTING MARRIED.

There's a big difference between those who seek out quality and those who rush to see the big blockbuster movie. Going by some peoples reactions it was a major upset that Cameron Diaz didn't get nominated for WHAT HAPPENS IN VEGAS.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think more of us need to settle down. These type of arguments about Oscar nominees and eventual winners have been going on for years and will continue to go on because this type of award process dictates such arguments and discussions.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
We always get worked up, and moreso in a year with a film like TDK. I love TDK, it's in my top 5, but I don't really care that it wasn't nominated for Best Picture. Neither was The Wrestler, and that is a better film (also in my top 5). The Oscars are the Oscars are the Oscars.

Much better films than TDK have not been nominated for BP, and worse films have won the award. It is not like the film needed the attention to break even. It's almost universally praised.

No big deal,
Chuck

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I never said that. If it had been nominated, I wouldn't be complaining. Likewise, I'm not complaining because Gran Torino, a film I'm on record as rating very highly, was shut out for nominations.

My approach to these things is straightforward: If a film or a performance speaks to me in a way that I judge to have artistic merit, then it retains that quality whether or not it's picked for a list of nominees. The Oscar race is entertaining and occasionally revealing, but I don't treat it as a sporting event where my "team" has to win or I slam my fist into a wall.

As my colleague Robert Crawford suggested, more people should take your advice and settle down. That would include not picking a fight with someone who's not even disagreeing with you.

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I'm just shocked that DiCaprio didn't get the nod - which I believe was due to Richard Jenkins (The Visitor) getting a nomination out of nowhere. I doubt I'm in the minority of people who haven't heard of this film - yet Leo and "Revolutionary Road" was getting praised to high heaven and back for months now.

I'll bet Leonardo is totally pissed (again), and will not attend the ceremony (again)........

P.S. - without looking it up, I believe I recognize Richard Jenkins from The Witches of Eastwick - as the beleaguered husband of the wife who kept throwing up (lol)...then killed....

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I don't know about "everyone", but I expect to watch that film periodically throughout my life. It's not often that I see a film where, months later, moments and images pop back into my head, and this was one of them.

Have you seen it?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
WHY ISN'T THE DARK KNIGHT NOMINATED FOR BEST PICTURE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

:P

It's the freaking Academy; Crash won. Besides, I thought Batman Begins was better.

Greg Layton

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg Layton

Do yourself a favor and rent The Visitor this weekend. Richard Jenkins gave a better performance than Leonardo Dicaprio. I doubt I'm in the minority of people who would say that after watching both films.

In other words, it was far from "out of nowhere."

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I found nothing exceptional in the acting of both leads in RR. Frankly, it was farcical at times (see the first argument, roadside); not sure if that was intentional.

--
H

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
At least in that scene, I think it was intentional, which is why I found it such a bold choice so early in the film. Viewed from the outside, it's a petty and ridiculous argument, as so many marital and family arguments are. But for the two participants, it's horrible and wounding in a way that only happens with people who know each other's soft spots. What I found impressive about the performances is that both actors are able to play at both levels -- they show you both the pettiness and the genuine pain.

Ultimately, though, I think the performances aren't sufficiently supported by the film as a whole. That's the sense that emerged from the exchanges in the discussion thread, but I need to see the film again.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

No. I`m pretty sure it hasn`t made it up to my neck of the woods yet. I have seen Gran Torino which I thought was very good and it also was overlooked for nomination. I was going to see Benjamin Buttons right up until the Forrest Gump comparisons started. I have never had any interest in watching FG so I immediately lost interest in BB.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I kinda have trouble respecting a 'journalist' and any info he gives when he calls someone Darth Weinstein. That sounds more like something I'd read from an angry 15 year old talkbacker on Aint It Cool News than someone with any actual credibility.

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike

Everyone compares everything to everything that came before, but you shouldn't look at it that way. Look at it like this: if you like the stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald, then go see Benjamin Button.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks