What's new

Official 2024 Oscar Nominations And Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't care strongly either way, but when I saw I would have to sit through five people talking for each of the Best Actor/Actress awards, I did change the channel and came back later to see who won.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't care strongly either way, but when I saw I would have to sit through five people talking for each of the Best Actor/Actress awards, I did change the channel and came back later to see who won.
I didn't care for it either.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
The "5 previous acting winners" segments can get a bit saccharine, but I enjoy seeing former winners on stage.

I suppose effusive praise is better than Nic Cage saying, "Ready for the big ride, baby?" ;)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Except for Robot Dreams, I've caught up with every single nominated film. Last year it took me four months to achieve this goal, which was unusual for me.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Except for Robot Dreams, I've caught up with every single nominated film. Last year it took me four months to achieve this goal, which was unusual for me.
What did you think of the Oscar winners? Which did you disagree with?

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
What did you think of the Oscar winners? Which did you disagree with?
Quite satisfied overall. I was divided between Oppenheimer and Poor Things for the main awards, and would have been happy with either one winning. Those were, imo, the best of the nominated films.
A quibble about the Adapted Screenplay: I haven't read the books that were the basis for the screenplays, and however much I liked the winner, my choice was once again divided between Oppenheimer and Poor Things.
As far as Original Song is concerned, I've lost my ear for popular music and have therefore no opinion. But one thing I do know is voices, and Eilish has no voice at all. Why is she even popular (as a performer, as opposed to songwriter)?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
But one thing I do know is voices, and Eilish has no voice at all. Why is she even popular (as a performer, as opposed to songwriter)?
Even when I was young, I was out of step with what was popular and I've heard maybe five Billie Eilish songs so what do I know but I think she's popular as a performer because there's a truth to her singing her songs. She's certainly not going to come out like Elton John or Freddy Mercury and energize a huge crowd blowing the doors off of a stadium but I think people respond to the emotion that she brings to her music and that has made her popular.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
The "5 previous acting winners" segments can get a bit saccharine, but I enjoy seeing former winners on stage.

I suppose effusive praise is better than Nic Cage saying, "Ready for the big ride, baby?" ;)
Amongst
Quite satisfied overall. I was divided between Oppenheimer and Poor Things for the main awards, and would have been happy with either one winning. Those were, imo, the best of the nominated films.
A quibble about the Adapted Screenplay: I haven't read the books that were the basis for the screenplays, and however much I liked the winner, my choice was once again divided between Oppenheimer and Poor Things.
As far as Original Song is concerned, I've lost my ear for popular music and have therefore no opinion. But one thing I do know is voices, and Eilish has no voice at all. Why is she even popular (as a performer, as opposed to songwriter)?
You're entitled to your opinion and you may not get Eilish at all - the same way my father doesn't get today's NBA - but to me and others she has a beautiful expressive voice and a songwriting gift that is singular and popular and critically admired.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I may not be the target audience for Billie Eilish’s music but I like a few of her songs, including No Time To Die.

I appreciate that she writes her own music (with Finneas). And she employs some different styles.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I don't mind the little speeches so much, but there are always a handful of them that sound forced and not very sincere.

I didn’t mind them but it did sound like a lot of scripted ass kissing.
According to the article someone linked here, the presenters are asked to write their own remarks. I went back and looked for what was written:

The decision to bring back the ‘Fab Five’ concept — in which five previous winners paid tribute to this year’s five nominees in the acting categories — was a nod to a similar idea in 2009.
It was producers Raj Kapoor and Katy Mullan who were eager to revive the format. “I was fully on board with it because I remember loving it,” McNearney says. “Our only hesitation was length and not using clips. But you also don’t want to be too clip-heavy in a show. It starts to become a little over overwhelming. We wanted them to feel personal, most of those presenters write their own copy because we wanted it to feel intimate, and we wanted it to feel like a friend speaking on your behalf. I think they succeeded at that.”​

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I may not be the target audience for Billie Eilish’s music but I like a few of her songs, including No Time To Die.

I appreciate that she writes her own music (with Finneas). And she employs some different styles.

I respect what she's done with her music, but it's not something that appeals to me very much. That said, I did like her song "Bury a Friend" that was used as the theme song for True Detective: Night Country.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Never too early to speculate. ;)

I only read the first few paragraphs and it's all about sequels, prequels, threequels, remakes, films based on video games...WTF? Besides Dune 2 things like: Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga, Joker: Folie à Deux, Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, and even Gladiator 2. Sequels to Inside Out and Moana.

I finished looking at the article and there are some things other than that first impression I got; I was getting worried! In another adjacent article I noticed an intriguing entry for a movie coming out in the summer:
Horizon: An American Saga (Part 1: June 28)
Horizon: An American Saga (Part 2: Aug. 16)

"A movie depicting the expansion of the American west set in the period before and after the Civil War." Starring and directed by Kevin Costner. I find it intriguing both are being released weeks apart. If it's really good, we could have the first Best Picture nominations include Part 1 and Part 2 in the same year!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I finished looking at the article and there are some things other than that first impression I got; I was getting worried! In another adjacent article I noticed an intriguing entry for a movie coming out in the summer:
Horizon: An American Saga (Part 1: June 28)
Horizon: An American Saga (Part 2: Aug. 16)

"A movie depicting the expansion of the American west set in the period before and after the Civil War." Starring and directed by Kevin Costner. I find it intriguing both are being released weeks apart. If it's really good, we could have the first Best Picture nominations include Part 1 and Part 2 in the same year!
This is actually supposed to have a total of four parts, so the Academy may hold off on major awards until it's complete, as they have other multi-part franchises.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
It's interesting that after last year's Oscars we talked about how no BP winner had won more than 6 Oscars since Slumdog Millionaire in 2008 (and @MartinP. had mentioned how the Academy was "spreading the wealth" in recent years). Now we've had 2 BP winners win a total of 7 in consecutive years.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^
Also, another reason for that is the last two years there have been multiple acting Oscars given to the last two films. That hadn't happened since 2004's Million Dollar Baby won Actress and Supporting Actor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks