What's new

Magnum PI Questions (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I just noticed something quite interesting about a character on the Season 3 DVD set. Danny Kamekona, who appeared on "The Eighth Part of the Village" reprises the same role of Sato which he appeared on in "The Karate Kid Part II."

Hey, does anyone know if the two characters are the same?

Sylvia*ST

Stunt Coordinator
I worked on Magnum, and I doubt the characters were intentionally the same. Karate Kid II was released four years after the October 1982 episode of Magnum and George Geiger wrote the TV episode, not the film's screenwriter. Danny Kamekona was a truly lovely man and good actor and as both parts were small ones, he could have suggested the character name, and even supplied his own backstory (which actors often do) and played the character the same way. Kamekona appeared in Magnum multiple times in different roles.

Derek K.

Stunt Coordinator
Not really on topic, but ...

I always wondered why there was never a Magnum Reunion TV Movie ...

It seems like every popular show eventually had one in 1 form or another.

Was it Selleck holding this up for money or ego purposes? I assume it was ...

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
There was never a tv-movie because Selleck and the rest of the cast held out for a feature reunion film which has been in development several times, but stalled out for various reasons.

In the last couple of years, producer Brian Grazer has been said to be working on a new Magnum movie, but rumors have had George Clooney in the title role and LL Cool J as T.C. Ricky Gervais has said in interviews that he turned down the role of Higgins in the Grazer feature.

There are also still rumors that Selleck will be Magnum when and if a feature film version is made. I hope for Selleck and the original cast, but I do not think this will happen.

Derek K.

Stunt Coordinator
I think Selleck is too old to play Magnum in a feature film.

Selleck might work as a TV Movie, but there's no way it would work as a feature. No studio would do it.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree on the whole Selleck as a return to the Magnum role but the last I heard Tom Selleck was being cast in a new series of Murder Mysteries such as what they did with Dick Van Dyke.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
I don't see why we couldn't have a story where Magnum is the same age Selleck is now. Maybe retiring from the Navy again.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Well, for the upcoming sets that are due to be released I wonder if anyone knows if Universal is planning on providing fans with the full two-part episodes that crossed into other shows that fans might not want to buy.

What this comes down to is that I picked up Magnum Seasons 1 and 2 and I was quite thrilled to get the full two-parter that crossed into Simon and Simon. When I saw the actual episode on the Season 3 set I was quite satisfied that Universal provided both versions for fans on these sets.

Does anyone know if Universal has plans on providing the broadcast episodes such as when the series crossed over into Murder She Wrote?:D

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I'm curious if anyone has experienced any problems with their Season 3 sets. I ended up having to return the set back to Best Buy five times. Always with the first disk, it either paused or there were scratches on the first disk.

Also, one thing that was very irritating was that the end credits on every episode have been cut off and it happens on both the "Play All" function and when you play every episode by itself without the "Play All" function.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Yeah I had that problem on the first disc as well. It looked like there was a small crack in the disc close to the hole. Since it didn't effect anything except the menu I didn't bother returning.

Sylvia, any cool stories about your experiences on the show?

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
At least you got lucky, I wasn't so lucky with having to go through five sets in order to get a working set.

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator
My fellow Magnumites - anyone pick up season 4 yet? Any complaints, disk improvements, cut episodes, music cuts?

Thanks

JeffO

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Hmm. Since I am not buying Magnum or A-Team until I get a gift card for my birthday or something, I totally forgot that there was something I could do. If I get a chance, I'll pop in BB after I eat lunch and see if the boxes mention music replacement.

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Greg, Matt and Roger, I appreciate it (especially for wasting a trip). But great news, TVshowsondvd just posted an article - Magnum Season 5 is coming out in the fall!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Yeah, but Uni has gotten pretty good about putting the warning on there lately. QL S4 has it, and the A-Team S3 had a relatively detailed warning. I guess we won't know for sure unless someone has the discs and knows what is supposed to be there.

When A-Team S3 came out, I posted a link to a site that listed all of the popular music used in the A-Team. Here is a repeat of it, on its new server:

http://www.threebluestars.com/ateam/

Look in the FAQ section for a list of all music used.

I would say the Heart of Rock and Roll episode will be the best possible test. Elvis? Huey Lewis? If they could clear those, I think the missing label will be accurate. If someone with the discs could check. . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks