TV DVD Sets: Do You ... ?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark Talmadge, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

I've always pondered this question often enough but does anyone here sit through a marathon of episodes from a television show from a TV Show on DVD that is getting ready to be released, that you've purchased before?

When there's a title that I love to purchase, such as Magnum P.I., MASH, Dukes of Hazzard or whatnot, I generally will go back and watch the previous sets I purchased right before the show is reaqdy to be released with a new season set.

Yes, I have watched the Magnum P.I. Season 1 and 2 sets over a number of times and while I haven't watched the sets in quite some time I have began to set upon the task of watching through the Season 1 and Season 2 sets since I have watched through the 15+ TV DVD Sets that I have purchased over the past few months. Warner Brothers really socked it to me when they ran that sale of theirs and I have decided to go back and start watchying some of the previously purchased sets I have bought in the past.

Over the course of the next few weeks, I've set myself upon the task of watching Magnum PI Season 1-2 as well as Knight Rider Season 1-2.

So, what about the rest of you guys and gals? Do you go back and watch the previously released DVD Sets of shows that are getting ready to be released with the next entry in the series?

2. Randall Cyrenne

Randall Cyrenne Stunt Coordinator

Man, I'm way too far behind to be worried about watching stuff a second time. [​IMG]

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

For me, it all depends on the show. I watched all three seasons of 24 before Season Four was released earlier this month. Not that any of the seasons really hing on seeing what came before, I just wanted to rewatch them. [​IMG]

When the second season of Lost comes out, I'm sure I'll break out Season One in the weeks prior to the S2 release.

Sometimes if I haven't watched a set yet, an upcoming release makes me start watching the previous set (such as The Adventures Of Superman). I picked it up when the set came out and took a casual look at some of the episodes to see how they looked. Now with S2 coming next month, I'm gonna actually sit down and watch it soon. Mind you, it's not a chore. [​IMG]

4. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    I do this with some shows... really depends... I mostly did it with...

- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    - Angel
    - Friends

Now.. there is several times I watched just the previous season before I got the latest released. So like with M*A*S*H... I will probably rewatch just season 8 again before I finally get Season 9.

5. Mark Talmadge

I'm the same way. I think after I finish watching Magnum PI Seasons 1-3 I'll go back and watch Lost and then Gilmore Girls Seasons 1-5 all the way through. I told myself I would go back and watch GG straight through after picking up GG Season 5 and watching that. Although, I do have to sit down and watch Smallville straight through at any rate.

6. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Not really, since I do watch all of my sets frequently, so there's no need for a marathon.

I did rewatch "Who Shot Mr. Burns (Part One)" and "Springfield's Most Wanted" before checking out season 7.

7. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

I don't do what Mark's post asked, but I've come close to "marathon'ing" a DVD set from my collection. I've watched a complete season over a 2-3 day period but I've never watched one all at once. The most eps that I watch back-to-back is usually 2, although I watched more than that with S1's of "Murder One" and "NYPD Blue".

I'm more of the "variety" TV/DVD viewer. I'll watch an "action","SciFi", or "drama" ep, then usually follow with a 30-min "comedy" as a chaser [​IMG] Or sometimes end it with a "Looney Tunes" cartoon (maybe I'm the one that's "looney-tunes" [​IMG])

"Bring on more of the classic TV/DVD releases in '06" (classic for us Baby Boomers...that is....)

8. Jon_Gu

Jon_Gu Stunt Coordinator

I'll sometimes go back and watch the previous season of Alias or 24, shows with a continuous storyline arc. I don't general watch something like Hogan's Heroes or Hunter because each episode usually stands alone.

I do occasionally go back and watch the previous seasons of M*A*S*H, etc., but not because of a new release.

Interesting how many different ways we watch our TVonDVD.

9. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Sometimes, I prepare for a new release by watching old releases.
    Sometimes, when a new season is released, I will watch it and then go back and watch some previous seasons.
    I find that I can go for long stretches of only watching one show. I just got Frasier season 7 on 12/17...since then I've watched it, season 11 then gone back to seasons 1, 2 and am currently on disc 3 of season 3.

When the HTF TV on DVD challenge 2006 starts up in a few days, well...a new strategy will be employed.

10. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    The only time I've rewatched an episode so far was to watch Christmas episodes last year. I am planning to watch Veronica Mars again this week, which will come just a couple of weeks after finishing the set the first time. That will be a complete first for me.

11. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

I'm actually doing this right now, trying to re-watch all 4 seasons of 24 before season 5 starts next month. Of course, since my sister and brother-in-law have my S3 set and don't seem to want to send it to me, I likely won't get that back until I see them early next month, when I will probably already be in the midst of S4.

12. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

Back when I had a lot less in life to do, and had some more time, I definately rewatched previous seasons. Heck, I have seen my season 1 DVD of Simpsons 7 times, and that was before season 5 came out. [​IMG] Nowadays, I am lucky to finish the second season of a show before the third comes out. [​IMG] I always watch the previous seasons first though before I see a recent release.

Ryan

13. seanOhara

seanOhara Supporting Actor

It depends how serialized the show is. With something like The Simpsons, I don't see the point, but with a series with a continuing storyline like Angel or 24 I do marathons so I don't miss anything.

14. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

I tend to do this, especially if there was a cliffhanger for a season ending.

But sometimes, it's just fun to go back and see how the actors/actresses changed between the seasons - new hairstyles, weight gain/loss, plastic surgery, etc.

15. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S

This pretty much describes me. I seem to think there are more hours in a day than there is, obviously, as I keep getting more and more!

I did manage to get through "Nip/Tuck" Seasons 1 and 2 in a timely manner so I could be caught up when Season 3 started. (Not a re-watch.) Really glad I did, as it would have been too hard to avoid Carver revelations until S3 hit DVD!

Right now, I'm more focused on trying to get through various seasons for the FIRST time! (While still working in movies as well.) I'm working on Season 1 of "Veronica Mars" now (while recording current S2 episodes for later).

16. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Since I've actually been watching TV this season, I haven't been watching my DVDs. I have a whole bunch of sets I haven't made much progress with lately. Something like six 30-minute shows and four hour shows. I have some gift cards I could use to pick up several sets, but it would just add to the log jam right now.

17. Bonnie*F

Bonnie*F Stunt Coordinator

If there was a cliffhanger at the end of the previous season, then yea, I watch like the last disc to get caught back up before the first disc of the new season.

With unconnected episodes, like M*A*S*H, there is no reason to go back over again.

Bonnie

18. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

sometimes I do, but not always.
    for me, the marathons tend to happen when I go through them the first time.

19. Mark Talmadge

With Magnum set to come out in January, I've set myself upon the task of watching the first two seasons before season 3 shows itself on store shelves. I've also decided to pace the episodes so that when Season 3 is released I can jump from Season 2 to Season 3. This may explain why I may just go ahead and also watch A-Team and Knight Rider consecutively as well.[​IMG]

20. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I agree to much new stuff to watch, I will go back and watch individual Eps from Time to time. Right now I've been ripping all my new TV stuff to AVC files to play on my Ipod and PPC, then I get some situations where I'll watch a few eps at lunch at work etc, it helps to put a dent in the backlog.