Vague Memories and DVDs

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by bretmaverick2, Apr 8, 2010.

1. bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2 Supporting Actor

Tom Hunter
    So as I am reading through news items on DVD releases, it brings to mind some questions that I have, particular about some detective shows.

Over the years, I know that there were some crossovers among different detective series (Law & Order and Homicide, for example).

A lot of these series have been released on DVD but I am wondering about the crossovers between shows and how they are handled on DVD releases.

I guess one example that I have in mind is the cross over between Magnum, PI and Murder, She Wrote. I remember the crossover (vaguely) and was wondering if the crossover episodes are included on the proper season sets of the DVD releases??

And can anyone list other crossovers (drama, detective shows, comedies) and how they are handled on their DVD releases. Shoot, feel free to list crossovers even if the series has not been released on DVD.

Thanks for any info provided.

2. jamoon2006

jamoon2006 Stunt Coordinator

For the examples you raised, the cross-over episodes of "Murder, She Wrote" and "Magnum, PI" were included on the respective season sets of each show. Ditto the "Magnum" and "Simon & Simon" cross-over.

The individual "Homicide" seasons did not contain the L&O cross-overs, but the A&E Complete Series release contained them. I believe the individual L&O seasons contain the "Homicide" episodes (but I may be wrong).

Sometimes it works out; "Murder, She Wrote," "Magnum" and "Simon" are all Universal properties. But in the case of other shows, the cross-overs can't always make the leap between studios. Case in point: "The Pretender" and "Profiler" had a few cross-overs, but the DVD sets don't contain the episodes from the other series.

3. Guest

In the early 60's, "Hawaiian Eye", "77 Sunset Strip", "Bourbon Street Beat", and "Surfside Six" had crossovers all the time.

4. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    What really crossed over for those shows were the scripts. I've read that the Warner Bros. shows all used basically the same scripts, with just the character names and settings changed.

5. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

One caveat on the Magnum PI/Murder She Wrote crossover:

The Magnum PI episode "Novel Connection" included on the "Murder She Wrote" Season 3 set mistakenly included the non-cliffhanger syndicated version of the ep. The proper version of the first part of the crossover ep is included on the Magnum PI Season 7 set -- along with the proper "Magnum on Ice - Part 2" from "Murder She Wrote". So you really need the "Magnum PI Season 7" set in order to view the crossover ep the way it originally aired.

BTW, Magnum and Jessica Fletcher made a *terrific* team. It's too bad this was the only time they worked together.

6. bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2 Supporting Actor

Tom Hunter
    Anyone know of any other crossovers that go directly from an episode of one series to be concluded on the next???

I had forgotten about the Magnum PI/Simon & Simon? Was there a S&S/Murder, She Wrote?

7. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Second Unit

One curious crossover (because it crossed 'genre' lines) was an episode of "The Nurses" from 1965, which concluded on an episode of "For the People." Same producer, I believer.

8. Guest

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel" used to do that occaisionally. :)

9. Guest

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel" used to do that occaisionally. :)

10. Theodore J. Mooney

Theodore J. Mooney Supporting Actor

Happy Days and its spin-off, Laverne & Shirley, did that once.

11. Jack P

Jack P Producer

"Adam-12 " and "The D.A." and Shout! was not able to get the "D.A." episode for the Adam-12 S4 set (though the Adam-12 episode doesn't end on a cliffhanger; we just don't see what happened at the arrested man's trial)

12. bmasters9

bmasters9 Supporting Actor

Ben Masters
    I think I recall hearing somewhere that "Marcus Welby, M.D." had a crossover w/"Owen Marshall" in 1971.

13. FrankPitt

FrankPitt Stunt Coordinator

Frank
    Third Watch had a crossover with ER, although I'm not sure if the Third Watch episode is included in the ER's Season 8 set.

Third Watch also crossed over into the short-lived Medical Investigation (where the fate of TW character Carlos was determined), but DVDs of TW have stalled, so it's doubtful we'll ever see the first half, let alone the conclusion, on disc.

14. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

"Touched by an Angel" has all of its crossovers with "Promised Land" released on Touched by an Angel: The Third Season, Vol. 1, The Third Season, Vol. 2, and The Fourth Season, Vol. 1 with the exception of the final crossover episodes, "Vengeance Is Mine" and "Saving Grace". Unfortunately, CBS/Paramount has no plans to continue season releases of "Angel".

In the second season, "Promised Land" also had a crossover that concluded on the same night with "Diagnosis Murder". "Total Security" and "Promises to Keep" have yet to be released on DVD.