What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The Magnificent Seven -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
Lots of DVDs and older Blus are oversaturated, so when a UHD comes out that corrects this, sometimes people think they’re undersaturated when they’re really correct.
Very true. I haven't watched this since the previous Blu-ray was released. I wouldn't doubt they are correct. Thinking about it, when I saw in theaters (granted, revival prints), I'm sure this is the correct color timing for the film and with correct color saturation, etc. It just surprised me a bit.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr. Harris, you are the expert I quote the most and can't argue with your expertise. I am only familiar with what the credits say. Wish I could take your course on these things! What about The Great Escape? Thanks for you insight and knowledge.
The credits you’re noting reference the lab and prints. Eastman neg is Eastman neg regardless of what lab does the processing. Presume Great Escape would have been same situation except Eastman 5251.

Films processed by one lab can also have prints struck by another. Examples, The Sound of Music - 65mm deluxe - some 35mm prints in dye transfer from Technicolor.

Doctor Zhivago - 35mm MetroColor - 70mm blow-ups by Metro. A small run 35mm dye transfer by Technicolor London.

Same situation with Jaws and Star Wars.

Please keep in mind that what is being scanned are not prints, so color by deluxe is irrelevant.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
The credits you’re noting reference the lab and prints. Eastman neg is Eastman neg regardless of what lab does the processing. Presume Great Escape would have been same situation except Eastman 5251.

Films processed by one lab can also have prints struck by another. Examples, The Sound of Music - 65mm deluxe - some 35mm prints in dye transfer from Technicolor.

Doctor Zhivago - 35mm MetroColor - 70mm blow-ups by Metro. A small run 35mm dye transfer by Technicolor London.

Same situation with Jaws and Star Wars.

Please keep in mind that what is being scanned are not prints, so color by deluxe is irrelevant.
Mr. Harris,
Thank you for the lesson and will probably have more questions for you in the future. Also, many thanks for your body of restoration work . We will always be grateful for bringing our films "back to life".

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I finally had a chance to see The Magnificent Seven 4K blu ray last night. For some reason I kept thinking it is from Kino.

I’ve only seen this film twice or three times on an older DVD probably 20 years ago. I mainly remembered a audio commentary where the commentator mentioned that Steve McQueen was constantly finding business to do to take attention away from Brynner and to him.

So I don’t know what the colors are supposed to look like, but I wasn’t disappointed by this disc. The film is very well done in setting up the plot, and the process of Chris putting his team together. I had not recalled who survives at the end. So it was like watching it for the first time.

When I was watching the opening titles, I was thinking a few things. Does John Sturges always color the titles with red? Made me think of The Great Escape. I’m sure this is not the case, I’ve not seen everyone of his films. The music during the film reminded me of The Great Escape, and as Bernstein scored both, then it makes sense there is a resemblance of sorts in its flavor.

Once again, during the opening titles, the background image is a still, And I could not help but be fixated on a piece of dust on the upper end of the frame about 2/3 over from the left. Shortly before the credit for Bernstein, the dust finally goes away as the still frame starts to move.

Now I want to see The Great Escape. :). Not sure if I will select the Kino 4K or Criterion blu ray? :). Coburn and Bronson must have requested their characters did not meet the same fate. :) Oh yeah, I was also thinking, I had forgotten that Yul Brynner was the gun slinger all in black in Westworld.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Go with the Kino 4k of The Great Escape. I had seen The Magnificent Seven theatrically several times and was surprised at the color in the 4K. Look at Eli Wallach's red shirt the first time as he rides into the frame from the right. Then go back to your previous DVD or Blu-ray. This disc was a treat.
Yul was doing the King And I at the Uris theater (1980-81) after having done the film in 1955. I had an original 22 x 28 poster rolled that I had secured for my wife. I told her we were going to have him sign this poster for her and she didn't believe it. (I was working in film and television at the time) and sure enough, he only had a black makeup crayon that he signed "To Meg, love always Yul! Also remember his last cancer commercial down on West third street in NY almost right in front of Jerry Ohlinger's movie material store!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Cool story about meeting Yul Brynner! I hope you still have the poster!

I have both the 4K and Criterion The Great Escape on hand, and unlike the Magnificent Seven, I‘ve seen The Great Escape many times on laserdisc, DVD and the blu ray incarnations. when I saw the 4K disc, it didn’t seem that massively better. I only have an 83” screen, which to me is pretty big. I’m sure you guys with larger screen will see an improvement.

I’ll likely opt to rewatch the Great Escape with the 4K disc again.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Cool story about meeting Yul Brynner! I hope you still have the poster!

I have both the 4K and Criterion The Great Escape on hand, and unlike the Magnificent Seven, I‘ve seen The Great Escape many times on laserdisc, DVD and the blu ray incarnations. when I saw the 4K disc, it didn’t seem that massively better. I only have an 83” screen, which to me is pretty big. I’m sure you guys with larger screen will see an improvement.

I’ll likely opt to rewatch the Great Escape with the 4K disc again.
Unlike "The Magnificent Seven", the 4K disc of "The Great Escape" doesn't have any HDR applied to it.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Robert
I still have that poster and you know what? It is still in a tube and not framed. I know, shame on me!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Robert, now I remember! That‘s right about The Great Escape 4K not having any HDR applied. Maybe that’s why it didn’t seem that much of an improvement.

Joseph, you ought to frame that poster!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks