What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Downton Abbey: A New Era -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Those of you who may be aware of my "Miranda" projects will know of my appreciation for this era. And uniting the teens and twenties with the change from silent to early sound cinema (or Kinema here) ups the ante.

While one would not consider Downton Abbey: A New Era to be a film of "greatness" it fits well into the canon as created long ago for viewing on that smaller box.

With most of the cast returning, and a few new visitors, it's a nice way to rejoin characters with whom you've become familiar.

My most recent exposure to one of the actors was a viewing was streaming work by Michelle Dockery, a six-episode mini-series, that was akin to reading a good thriller, and difficult to put down.

With this new theatrical Downton, all of the generic bits and pieces are in evidence - swooping shots of impressive estates, long shots of groups of characters in proper garb walking toward the camera in unison - taking me back to the likes of The Magnificent Seven mit out firearms.

Beautifully shot in 6k, and with a wonderful Atmos track, the new 4k disc from Universal looks about as one might presume. Interiors pop, along with costumes. MS and CU are generally softened a bit, while exterior ing shots take advantage of the technology.

All in all, a very enjoyable visit.

Interesting that in one sequence, there's a visit to the exterior of a theater running Warner's second all-talking venture, The Terror (1928), a film presumably lost with the exception of discs.

There's a wonderful tip of the hat to Abel Gance's Napoleon. Producer Gareth Neame (grandson of Ronald), whose mother was Ivy Close, who played Norma in Gance's La Role.

And of course, there's the major plot point which links directly to Singin' on the Rain.

A couple of very minor things jumped out at me.

The first may have been the norm, but in the era of Gordon Ramsey screaming at culinary contestants, seeing the delightful Sophie McShera put a long wooden spoon into a large pot of something that must have been delicious, tasting the contents on the spoon, and then going back to stirring, would have brought a quick comment from Chef Ramsey.

Another tiny point.

When the filmmakers (they're shooting at Downton) run some footage, the leader which we see projected, has writing presumably made with a Sharpie of some sort. Every bit of leader that I've ever encountered from that era, had writing via a fountain pen.

But a bit of research proved that the researchers had gotten it correct. There were fountain paintbrushes as early as the mid-twenties.

A final note. The extraordinary Miss Smith has the best, and final line of her character. Just delicious.

For slipcover collectors, this is certain to be a major collectible, as presumably only the first printing will receive the meticulously produced product with embossing in several areas.

At the top, you'll find the "4K UltraHD" in silver against a black black background. The entire first level of printing is silver foil, which adds a great amount of depth.

Mid-jacket, in appropriate Downton type, is the title...

Downton Abbey
A New Era

This appears to be set in an application of actual rose gold. On the reverse, one will find additional gold.

I have been advised to pick up as many copies as I can find, as prices on eBay and other auctions sites are apt to rise quickly when word gets out about the actual gold and low printing.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Beautifully

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 5

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
It's a shame more people didn't see it in theatres. They use 'Scope wonderfully, and even letterboxed it won't be the same at home.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I finally was able to get a copy of DA-TNE on 4K I was going to ask about about "The Terror" as I'm guessing they're waiting to release Gance's Napoleon in the US when it gets mentioned in a popular modern entertainment. In the Special Features they reference "Blackmail"
as the silent that was made into a talkie (who knew it was Lady Mary who invented ADR/voice replacement!).
I would argue with the historian's suppositions that sound "ended" many silent film stars' careers. Also the Bell & Howell movie camera that was used on camera was previously owned/used by US Expatriate(edit) Terry Gilliam who used it to make animations for a British comedy programme that was well-received in the colonies ...
Terry Gilliam Egghead GIF by Monty Python
:cool:.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I finally was able to get a copy of DA-TNE on 4K I was going to ask about about "The Terror" as I'm guessing they're waiting to release Gance's Napoleon in the US when it gets mentioned in a popular modern entertainment. In the Special Features they reference "Blackmail"
as the silent that was made into a talkie (who knew it was Lady Mary who invented ADR/voice replacement!).
I would argue with the historian's suppositions that sound "ended" many silent film stars' careers. Also the Bell & Howell movie camera that was used on camera was previously owned/used by US Ex-patriot Terry Gilliam who used it to make animations for a British comedy programme that was well-received in the colonies ...
Terry Gilliam Egghead GIF by Monty Python
:cool:.

Many old stiudio cameras have traceable histories, and the prices at which they were sold carry that history. The “king Kong” camera, for example.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Those of you who may be aware of my "Miranda" projects will know of my appreciation for this era. And uniting the teens and twenties with the change from silent to early sound cinema (or Kinema here) ups the ante.

While one would not consider Downton Abbey: A New Era to be a film of "greatness" it fits well into the canon as created long ago for viewing on that smaller box.

With most of the cast returning, and a few new visitors, it's a nice way to rejoin characters with whom you've become familiar.

My most recent exposure to one of the actors was a viewing was streaming work by Michelle Dockery, a six-episode mini-series, that was akin to reading a good thriller, and difficult to put down.

With this new theatrical Downton, all of the generic bits and pieces are in evidence - swooping shots of impressive estates, long shots of groups of characters in proper garb walking toward the camera in unison - taking me back to the likes of The Magnificent Seven mit out firearms.

Beautifully shot in 6k, and with a wonderful Atmos track, the new 4k disc from Universal looks about as one might presume. Interiors pop, along with costumes. MS and CU are generally softened a bit, while exterior ing shots take advantage of the technology.

All in all, a very enjoyable visit.

Interesting that in one sequence, there's a visit to the exterior of a theater running Warner's second all-talking venture, The Terror (1928), a film presumably lost with the exception of discs.

There's a wonderful tip of the hat to Abel Gance's Napoleon. Producer Gareth Neame (grandson of Ronald), whose mother was Ivy Close, who played Norma in Gance's La Role.

And of course, there's the major plot point which links directly to Singin' on the Rain.

A couple of very minor things jumped out at me.

The first may have been the norm, but in the era of Gordon Ramsey screaming at culinary contestants, seeing the delightful Sophie McShera put a long wooden spoon into a large pot of something that must have been delicious, tasting the contents on the spoon, and then going back to stirring, would have brought a quick comment from Chef Ramsey.

Another tiny point.

When the filmmakers (they're shooting at Downton) run some footage, the leader which we see projected, has writing presumably made with a Sharpie of some sort. Every bit of leader that I've ever encountered from that era, had writing via a fountain pen.

But a bit of research proved that the researchers had gotten it correct. There were fountain paintbrushes as early as the mid-twenties.

A final note. The extraordinary Miss Smith has the best, and final line of her character. Just delicious.

For slipcover collectors, this is certain to be a major collectible, as presumably only the first printing will receive the meticulously produced product with embossing in several areas.

At the top, you'll find the "4K UltraHD" in silver against a black black background. The entire first level of printing is silver foil, which adds a great amount of depth.

Mid-jacket, in appropriate Downton type, is the title...

Downton Abbey
A New Era

This appears to be set in an application of actual rose gold. On the reverse, one will find additional gold.

I have been advised to pick up as many copies as I can find, as prices on eBay and other auctions sites are apt to rise quickly when word gets out about the actual gold and low printing.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Beautifully

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 5

Highly Recommended

RAH
I’ve seen all the Downton releases except this one, so thank you for reminding me. Of course, for a great film in this vein, there is Robert Altman’s and Mr Fellows’s Gosford Park. A big favorite of mine.

ps. I’ve enjoyed reading your slipcase analyses. May I suggest that you add, in a addition to ratings for video quality and sound, slipcase ratings. Given the booming market, I do believe that there is a need for a Mr Blackwell of the slipcase world.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I’ve seen all the Downton releases except this one, so thank you for reminding me. Of course, for a great film in this vein, there is Robert Altman’s and Mr Fellows’s Gosford Park. A big favorite of mine.

ps. I’ve enjoyed reading your slipcase analyses. May I suggest that you add, in a addition to ratings for video quality and sound, slipcase ratings. Given the booming market, I do believe that there is a need for a Mr Blackwell of the slipcase world.
Perhaps Mr. Harris should keep that in mind when he starts his series of YouTube unboxing videos "Hey look there's a copy of the film on a shiny disk at no extra charge! And look another if the first one doesn't play ... How convenient :D!"

Last edited:

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Also the Bell & Howell movie camera that was used on camera was previously owned/used by US Ex-patriot Terry Gilliam...
I don't usually point out misspelled words to people who didn't ask me, but this instance involves an unfortunate change in meaning. Expatriate is the word for a person who lives outside their native country.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I don't usually point out misspelled words to people who didn't ask me, but this instance involves an unfortunate change in meaning. Expatriate is the word for a person who lives outside their native country.
Sorry that's what spil-corekt selected ...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I prefer my slip covers to be plastic. ;)

View attachment 155330

That was sooo 60's and 70's, LOL! :lol:

I remember my 1st encounter w/ that at my grandparents' home back in the 70's when my family immigrated to this country/USA -- it was not popular (yet?) in Hong Kong, but bet it caught on sometime after we moved here (like a lot of other things taking extra time to catch on in HK, but once caught on, HK would be taken by storm, eg. sweatsuits every occasion, everywhere starting around the mid-80's :lol:).

_Man_

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
That was sooo 60's and 70's, LOL! :lol:

I remember my 1st encounter w/ that at my grandparents' home back in the 70's when my family immigrated to this country/USA -- it was not popular (yet?) in Hong Kong, but bet it caught on sometime after we moved here (like a lot of other things taking extra time to catch on in HK, but once caught on, HK would be taken by storm, eg. sweatsuits every occasion, everywhere starting around the mid-80's :lol:).

_Man_
They were extremely uncomfortable sit on during the winter when the heat was turned off. But even worse they would stick to you when the summer when it was was humid. Not to mention the horrible noise they made when you sat down or got up which sounded like something I shan't talk about in a thread about Downton Abbey -The New Era.

I understand from the commentary (by the husband of Lady Grantham in real life and the director of the film) The producer's grandfather was an AD for a Hitchcock film and that became the source of some of the plots for the film.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I understand from the commentary (by the husband of Lady Grantham in real life and the director of the film) The producer's grandfather was an AD for a Hitchcock film and that became the source of some of the plots for the film.
A bit more to Mr. Neame than that - from imdb:

Gareth Neame represents the fourth generation of a remarkable dynasty that has made a significant contribution to the world of Cinema and Television over the past century. His great-grandparents were the distinguished society photographer and pioneer film-maker Elwin Neame (1885 - 1923) and the film actress and renowned beauty Ivy Close (1890 - 1968) and his grandfather was the durable cinematographer, screenwriter, producer and director Ronald Neame (1911 - 2010). His great uncle was the author and screenwriter Derek Neame (1915 - 1979) and his father was the film and television producer and writer Christopher Neame (I) (1942 - 2011. He has established himself as a successful producer in his own right and runs the production company Carnival Films.

I knew his grandfather, and gifted him a copy of Kevin Brownlow’s film The Charm of Dynamite. Gareth’s great-grandmother starred in Abel Gance’s La Roue (1919). It’s available reconstructed on French Blu-ray.

As to Ronald Neame, he was not (afaik) an AD on a Hitchcock film. He was asst. camera on Hitchcock’s Blackmail (at 18!), and in later years cinematographer on the likes of Major Barbara, One of Our Aircraft is Missing, as well as four David Lean films, some in Technicolor - This Happy Breed, Blithe Spirit, Brief Encounter and Great Expectations, then producer on Oliver Twist and Passionate Friends.

He later directed The Man Who Never Was. Tunes of Glory, The Horse’s Mouth, The Odessa File. The Poseidon Adventure…

And bringing us back around to Downton Abbey and his grandson Gareth…

One of my favorite films, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie!

You’ll find connections everywhere.

Tunes of Glory and Horse’s Mourh were cut by Anne Coates.

David Lean was an editor on Major Barbara And One of Our Aircraft, which was directed by Powell & Pressburger.

One could go far deeper.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
A bit more to Mr. Neame than that - from imdb:

Gareth Neame represents the fourth generation of a remarkable dynasty that has made a significant contribution to the world of Cinema and Television over the past century. His great-grandparents were the distinguished society photographer and pioneer film-maker Elwin Neame (1885 - 1923) and the film actress and renowned beauty Ivy Close (1890 - 1968) and his grandfather was the durable cinematographer, screenwriter, producer and director Ronald Neame (1911 - 2010). His great uncle was the author and screenwriter Derek Neame (1915 - 1979) and his father was the film and television producer and writer Christopher Neame (I) (1942 - 2011. He has established himself as a successful producer in his own right and runs the production company Carnival Films.

I knew his grandfather, and gifted him a copy of Kevin Brownlow’s film The Charm of Dynamite. Gareth’s great-grandmother starred in Abel Gance’s La Roue (1919). It’s available reconstructed on French Blu-ray.

As to Ronald Neame, he was not (afaik) an AD on a Hitchcock film. He was asst. camera on Hitchcock’s Blackmail (at 18!), and in later years cinematographer on the likes of Major Barbara, One of Our Aircraft is Missing, as well as four David Lean films, some in Technicolor - This Happy Breed, Blithe Spirit, Brief Encounter and Great Expectations, then producer on Oliver Twist and Passionate Friends.

He later directed The Man Who Never Was. Tunes of Glory, The Horse’s Mouth, The Odessa File. The Poseidon Adventure…

And bringing us back around to Downton Abbey and his grandson Gareth…

One of my favorite films, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie!

You’ll find connections everywhere.

Tunes of Glory and Horse’s Mourh were cut by Anne Coates.

David Lean was an editor on Major Barbara And One of Our Aircraft, which was directed by Powell & Pressburger.

One could go far deeper.
I'm sorry I sent you on a snipe hunt for Ronald Neame's credit for Blackmail. He was Assistant Camera. To add to the connections>The Director of DA-ANE Simon Curtis directed a BBC adaptation of Charles Dickens' David Copperfield
1664652410085.png

which starred Professor McGonagall as well ....

Also during production of DA-ANE they screened Truffaut's Day For Night with Nathalie Baye in attendance...

1664653286808.png
Connections. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks