What's new

iPhone 15 Announcement September 12 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Saccone

Premium
New discovery: With my iPhone 12 connected via USB A to Lightning cable, I could connect the phone to the cable and CarPlay would automatically launch as soon as the head unit booted up. With the 15 Pro, I have to let the head unit boot before I connect the cable or CarPlay never launches. I don’t know if this is intended behavior of the 15 Pro, the head unit firmware not playing nice with the 15 Pro, a handshake issue somewhere between the USB to lightning cable / lightning to USB C dongle, or a combination of the above.
In my car I for car play I bought a cable that had usb-a on one end and usb-c on the other. Works great.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hello, I currently have an iPhone XS it’s been fine up until recently and I think it’s time to get a new one. I normally don’t get brand new phones clearly so I was really looking into getting the iPhone 14 Pro in space black, but T-Mobile has been out of it for months, they only have it in the pro max, which is too big for me My hands are pretty small

Is it possible that T-Mobile may get more in stock or am I just stuck with either my current phone or I have to upgrade to the 15 Pro? Do you think the 15 Pro is better than the 14 Pro? I’ve also heard that it gets really hot is that true? Thanks

Hi Eric!

Welcome!

I see the 14 Pro is no longer available on their website.

You could call a local T-Mobile store and ask if they have any in stock or if they are expecting more.

However, something tells me that once the 15 came out, Apple stopped manufacturing the older phones.

No, I do not think the 15 Pro is better than the 14 Pro. It was a small upgrade concentrating mostly on camera improvements. Some would even say the iPhone 14 wasn't a huge upgrade over the 13. The days of witnessing radical improvements to the iPhone each year are gone. Instead, the phones are getting incremental upgrades.

And, yes, there have been many reports of the iPhone 15 overheating, but we have a few owners in this group and no one has reported their phone getting too hot.

I hate to suggest this, but I think it's worth mentioning, that the iPhone 16 is only 7 months away. The only reason I am optimistic about this phone is the improvements being made under the hood to handle iOS 18 which will be an AI-powered operating system. iOS 18 will be announced at WWDC in June and it's supposed to be the most revolutionary upgrade Apple has ever done. They are designing their next iPhone specifically for AI usage. That includes more power and better microphone capabilities to handle voice commands. The iPhone 16 is also supposed to be getting thermal upgrades to prevent overheating.

Hard to say what to do in your case since you generally don't buy new. I think by calling local stores they can tell you if they are expecting any more 14s or if they have 13s. If you can hold off another 7 months it might be a good idea to buy a brand-new model and just hold on to that for as long as you can. At least you'll have something current that will work well with AI.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
T-mobile website shows the iPhone 15 Pro as cheaper than the iPhone 14 Pro Max. I don’t use T, so am probably missing something, but at a glance there’s no benefit to getting an older phone. If so, get the 15 Pro.

You’re >6 months away from new iPhone announcement, not a phone upgrade enthusiast, so buy a new phone today and enjoy it. :)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I finally upgraded from my 7.5 year old iPhone 7Plus to the 15 ProMax and am very happy with it so far. Some quirks I need to get used to, but the battery life and speed more than make up for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks