What's new

Apple iPhone 13 Case Thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I usually buy the Apple one too but I decided to save the $30
lemme know how you like it. I think the Apple Case is a bit more what I want. But I’ll probably not open it up immediately. Next week, I’ll have more headspace to consider returning it and buying a cheaper case if the Spigen is really good.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
lemme know how you like it. I think the Apple Case is a bit more what I want. But I’ll probably not open it up immediately. Next week, I’ll have more headspace to consider returning it and buying a cheaper case if the Spigen is really good.

From what I've seen, the Apple clear case leaves the phone's bottom edge (especially the front-facing portion) largely unprotected... and it generally doesn't look as protective as the Spigen. Definitely not worth spending $50 just for the Apple branding...

_Man_

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
View attachment 112539

Both the Spigen and the Apple translucent cases have an ugly cutout on the back for MagSafe. That is what I was referring to.

I don't like the appearance of that cutout on the back of my phone case. While I realize the cutouts provide a more secure MagSafe connection, there are other cases that don't have the cutout on the back and are MagSafe compatible.

I may not be understanding what you mean by a cutout. I thought the concern might be that there is a hole where the case doesn’t fully cover the back of the phone. Neither the Apple case or the Spigen case leave the back of the phone uncovered except for the cutout for the camera lens array. The MagSafe magnets fit on the inside of the case. The back is smooth on the Apple case

Looked at a couple of Apple case reviews and Spigen reviews. Sticking with Apple. Both seem fine. But I’ve exhausted my energies for over analyzing and researching and shopping and comparing a $20 case. Bought with iPhone this morning and can get on with it. :)

Completely understand. I spent so much time last year looking at and researching cases

From what I've seen, the Apple clear case leaves the phone's bottom edge (especially the front-facing portion) largely unprotected... and it generally doesn't look as protective as the Spigen. Definitely not worth spending $50 just for the Apple branding...

_Man_

It does. After a year with the Apple case, I’m definitely giving another case a try. As I said previously, it doesn’t seem to provide much protection and the case itself got damaged pretty easily. Taking it on and off has also led to cracking at the corners and along the top edge. I’m hoping the Spigen will be better or at least the same for less money. I’ve had good luck with their cases in the past. If it’s not good, I’ll return it.

Of course, I now have more time than I thought to decide as my alarm, calendar notifications and reminders didn’t work. I just ordered my phone when I saw this thread.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I may not be understanding what you mean by a cutout. I thought the concern might be that there is a hole where the case doesn’t fully cover the back of the phone. Neither the Apple case or the Spigen case leave the back of the phone uncovered except for the cutout for the camera lens array. The MagSafe magnets fit on the inside of the case. The back is smooth on the Apple case

Maybe this is my mistake. I returned my Apple case (didn't even open it) as soon as I got it because I saw this depiction on the cover...

E4BBECFF-653D-409E-9331-9AEF2B2F27CD.jpeg

Whether that is an actual cut-out or just a diagram, I don't want it on the back of my case.

Now, just in case I REALLY misunderstood...

Is that just a depiction where the MagSafe goes and that diagram doesn't actually exist on the back of the case?

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
There’s not a hole, but yes the white ring and white vertical is there. That’s where the MagSafe magnets are and they would be visible on a clear case. Apple’s designers decided the white would be the best way to cover them and reenforce the marketing. Other manufacturers are following suit. Some give you darker colors as an option.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There’s not a hole, but yes the white ring and white vertical is there. That’s where the MagSafe magnets are and they would be visible on a clear case. Apple’s designers decided the white would be the best way to cover them and reenforce the marketing. Other manufacturers are following suit. Some give you darker colors as an option.

Thanks David, for helping me better understand that.

I just didn't want that design visible on my case. It just doesn't look good. I don't use MagSafe anyway, though the colored case I referenced above does support it. Without that outline on the back I am not sure how well compared to the Apple case.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

_Man_
Spigen reviews say the buttons are flush with the case and harder to use. That would be a chronic frustration to me.

But I want true MagSafe compatibility. I don’t mind the magnet pattern being visible. I kind of like it, a techno aesthetic in the otherwise featureless case.

So curious what people say when they have Spigen or other on hand.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ordered Spigen clear case. Due Monday. I can maybe wait the weekend and compare Spigen to Apple and keep one next week.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If there is anyone left here outside of myself waiting another week or so for their choice manufacturer to deliver an iPhone 13 case...

Use the old one. I just popped my 13 Pro Max in my iPhone 12 Pro Max case and it fits -- not 100% snug -- but enough that I won't scratch the back of it while it is in my pocket. I don't know if it will protect it from a hard fall, though.

Surprisingly, it fits well enough to get by with for short-term.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If there is anyone left here outside of myself waiting another week or so for their choice manufacturer to deliver an iPhone 13 case...

Use the old one. I just popped my 13 Pro Max in my iPhone 12 Pro Max case and it fits -- not 100% snug -- but enough that I won't scratch the back of it while it is in my pocket. I don't know if it will protect it from a hard fall, though.

Surprisingly, it fits well enough to get by with for short-term.

I guess just be a little careful putting it down (and maybe not letting it slide) since the camera lenses may be sticking out more/enough to be an issue.

I only have an old case for basic iPhone 11, so definitely won't protect the camera lenses on the new 13 Pro even if it sorta fits -- kinda doubt it'd fit at all since the 11 didn't have tele camera/lens.

Looks like my case will actually arrive tomorrow instead of Tues -- a pleasant surprise from Amazon, especially these days, despite not being an active Prime member -- so not too much more waiting for me...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I guess just be a little careful putting it down (and maybe not letting it slide) since the camera lenses may be sticking out more/enough to be an issue.

@Ronald Epstein, actually, since you paid for AppleCare+, would that cover scratches/damages to the camera lenses (or rather, just the outer element, which might be designed for easy enough replacement) I wonder?

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Tried the Apple case today. I generally like it. But the volume buttons are very stiff, so I’m not sure if I’ll keep it. I’m waiting for the Spigen to compare decide which one to keep.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Tried the Apple case today. I generally like it. But the volume buttons are very stiff, so I’m not sure if I’ll keep it. I’m waiting for the Spigen to compare decide which one to keep.

I'll be interested to hear what you think. I got the Spigen and the finishing of the MagSafe circle isn't as stylish as the Apple case, but other than that, I think I'll like it well enough. And I still don't think the Apple case is worth the premium. Of course, I don't have my phone yet so I guess I could change my mind once it arrives.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
@Ronald Epstein, actually, since you paid for AppleCare+, would that cover scratches/damages to the camera lenses (or rather, just the outer element, which might be designed for easy enough replacement) I wonder?

_Man_

Probably would but why put my phone through that and go through the inconvenience of having to replace it?

The old case is working out quite well for the moment and I should have the new one within a week.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
MagSafe is the wireless charging feature, right? My ESR Air Armor case of the 11 Pro Max doesn’t have the magnetic ring in the clear back but when I lay it on my Mophie wireless charger it works. Is MagSafe different technology?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
MagSafe is the wireless charging feature, right? My ESR Air Armor case of the 11 Pro Max doesn’t have the magnetic ring in the clear back but when I lay it on my Mophie wireless charger it works. Is MagSafe different technology?

Here is my understanding of MagSafe charging.

MagSafe is a magnetic charging technology. It offers more powerful charging (15w) over traditional chargers that I believe max out at 7.5 watts.

While your iPhone 11 Pro Max will work with any wireless charging technology, unless you are using a MagSafe compatible charger and case, you are not getting the fastest charging speed.

Where things get a little unclear is how well the cases without the magnetic ring are compatible for 15w charging compared to those without. I have read reviews for non-Apple cases that claim to be MagSafe compatible where customers are saying it doesn't support the fast charge.

I looked up your specific case and it doesn't appear to be MagSafe compatible. For that reason, you MAY be able to use it with a MagSafe (or regular) charger but you won't get the 15w charging. My concern would be the magnetic connection. I am not certain you will get it with that case.

One more thing: When there is a proper MagSafe charging connection you get a little full-screen animation on your phone screen.

I haven't yet embraced MagSafe charging. I am very happy with my current chargers and really, I never am in a situation where I have to charge my phone in half the time. That being said, Anker is coming out with a new version of their MagSafe stand for about $40. When it's finally available I am going to probably purchase it.

EDIT: The above charging stand appears to be only 7.5 watts. Seems like if I want a 15w stand I have to go for the very, very expensive Belkin model

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don’t full understand the nuances of MagSafe or the current charging options. So I’m buying a MagSafe case to ensure that I have the feature if I want it.

I don’t want to get a $15 non-MagSafe case and then three months from now start buying into MagSafe accessories and have to do the case search all over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks