What's new

Apple iPhone 13 Case Thread (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ok, there’s two types of charging magsafe and not. At this time not is good enough for me. Is it necessary to have a MagSafe case? Would my non-MagSafe case work on a MagSafe charger?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ok, there’s two types of charging magsafe and not. At this time not is good enough for me. Is it necessary to have a MagSafe case? Would my non-MagSafe case work on a MagSafe charger?
The past two years, my wife and I have had our 8+ in third party cases that worked fine on a wireless chargers.

You can have wireless charging in arbitrary cases, so long as they aren't too thick or otherwise impede the charging.

To get the magnetic grip and magsafe charging and etc, you need a magsafe-compatible case, IIUC.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you and satisfied w/ what you currently have. Maybe wait til you need to actually replace the current case (or the phone itself) before making a change...

Like Dave, I went w/ a MagSafe case for my new 13 Pro (and it only cost an extra couple bucks), but I haven't actually bought into the whole magnetic/wireless charging thing and probably won't be getting a MagSafe charger anytime soon. I might've tried that new Anker charger Ron mentioned if it's 15W, but it's only 7.5W... and that Belkin is way too expensive AFAIC. I already have a decent RavPower PD (very) fast, bulky-ish, traditional charging block (and also a bulky RavPower PD battery pack that I rarely use) and am just fine w/ using lightning connection -- PD can do 20W charging thru lightning connection, and both my PD block and battery pack can actually do upto 45W for other devices, including small laptops and such.

IF anything, I wonder if the very fast charging isn't bad for the iPhone battery anyway -- I feel like my 2-yo iPhone 11's battery health isn't as good as it should be from my regular use of 20W PD charging -- so I may back off from using PD unless I really need it that fast, which wouldn't be the case for usual overnight charging.

Maybe if MagSafe also provides a decent data connection, I'd go for it sooner, but it doesn't, so...

_Man_

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
_Man_,

That Belkin charger is a complete rip-off. Belkin is one of the most overpriced accessory companies out there (along with Nomad) and no f-ing way am I paying $100 for what they are offering.

A real shame the Anker version is only 7.5 watts. Had it been a 15w charger at half the price, it would have been worth it.

I never run my battery down to the point I need a fast charger. And I believe I read fast chargers are not good for the battery anyway. However, if you upgrade every year, I suppose it's a moot point.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm going to have to learn the new fast charging and USB-C situation this Winter. Will probably buy some new chargers for around the house and maybe upgrade the wireless chargers.

Mostly, I put the phone on the wireless charger by the bed and it charges slowly overnight. I don't really need fast charging. But I'd like some fast chargers in case. And maybe something for travel to complement or replace my travel USB-charging hub.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I bought a MagSafe case for the 12 Pro Max and despite never using MagSafe, I again bought one for this year’s phone. I do it for compatibility because I want and expect I'll eventually get something like this:

FD2B1FE7-D117-43DC-8B08-BB3CDEA8739B.jpeg Of course, I agree with the Ron that Belkin accessories are way overpriced. I'd rather have something from another brand. As far as charging, I've never found plugging in a cable to charge my phone inconvenient and with the new USB C bricks you get 20W charging.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Got my Spigen case:

1) Spigen case has better buttons. Much easier to press. Mute toggle cutout is larger, easier to flick switch. Plastic is a little squishier.
2) Apple case bottom cutout is better, makes it easier to swipe to unlock and for app switching. Plastic is a bit harder.

I think I'm keeping the Apple case. I can learn to cope with the button and toggle issues. But a speedbump on swiping that I'll do every day for the next few years might drive me bonkers.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Unfortunately, no good options for clear cases. Lots ($45 and $50 clear cases to compete with a $50 Apple case? If I'm paying a case premium, I'll just get Apple.)

Loads of options if you buy a black iphone and don't care about the color. It seems the clear case market is really limited if you're buying a color iPhone and want to see its color.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This looks to be the equivalent of my iPhone 11 Pro Max case. The edges (of my case) are tinted green and go well with my green iphone. The edges are slightly soft (i can press my fingernail into them just a little). I have dropped my iphone probably 5 or more times and it is still working fine and is spotless. It’s compatible with magnetic charging, not sure if that makes it MagSafe compatible.

I recommend it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Keeping the Apple Case.

I just spent $1100 on an iPhone. $50 vs $20 on a case (I'll use for 2-4 years) is rounding error. :)

(Spigen case has merits and comes down to personal taste on what case compromises are preferred, including price.)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Apple case is getting slippery with use. I think the hard plastic is getting a veneer of finger oil. The smooth flat sides on the heavy iPhone make it unexpectedly hard to pick up.

But I don’t have time or energy to go into research / over-analysis mode for an iPhone case. So, probably going to keep it and deal with it.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I also found the Apple case a bit slippery, but I adjusted to it pretty well.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm perfectly fine w/ the Spigen case so far (and no complaints at all about the buttons from me) -- I actually like this one a bit better than my last Spigen for my old iPhone 11.

Sounds like I probably woulda hated the Apple case, especially given the price premium (and what seems like less protection as well)...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm perfectly fine w/ the Spigen case so far (and no complaints at all about the buttons from me) -- I actually like this one a bit better than my last Spigen for my old iPhone 11.

Sounds like I probably woulda hated the Apple case, especially given the price premium (and what seems like less protection as well)...

_Man_
Spigen buttons were fine I thought (contra some reviews I saw).

The “less protection” of Apple case is intentional UX design.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Not a case specifically, but any recommendations for MagSafe, preferably charging capable, car mounts? Vent-mount is what I want / need. (Windshield mount maybe. But no adhesive mounts to dash.)

Did some quick looking and paralyzed by all the mediocre options and affiliate-linkbait ”reviews”.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Finally received my Caudabe Sheath case yesterday

Good News: This is the best case I have ever put on my iPhone. It's really, really nice. Has a great grip with a unique gritty feel to it. Looks very handsome and it looks like it offers more than sufficient protection across the entire body of the phone including a small lip around the screen.

Bad News: It appears they put a black case in the Navy box. The photo below makes it hard to determine if that is a dark blue or black body. With more light, it looks black. I am sure Caudabe will send me a free replacement so I may end up with two.

F74D41C6-4C63-4B35-A95F-209D9A58E885.jpeg

DC7C0E9F-0AEF-436B-8B94-FFE1013986FC.jpeg

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I think I'm keeping the Apple case. I can learn to cope with the button and toggle issues. But a speedbump on swiping that I'll do every day for the next few years might drive me bonkers.

I thought I’d come back now that I’ve had some time with my Spigen clear case. I was worried that the swiping speed bump would bother me too, Dave, but I adapted rather quickly. Of course, I also understand being bothered by it.

Other than that, I really like the case and have found it quite a bit better than the Apple clear case. And it’s a lot more reasonable priced. I’m a big fan of it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Wife got a Moment case - she has their lenses to expand the photo capabilities of the iPhone.

If I didn’t have my clear case, I’d buy a moment case for myself, even though I don’t use the lenses. The bottom edge is subtly lower so it’s flush to the screen edge in support of swiping. Very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks