What's new

iPhone 15 Announcement September 12 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Anyone experiencing or hearing about Watch battery drain problems with the new OS? My S7 watch battery is going much faster than normal since the update.

This morning, after a 45 min workout and 2 hours total wear time, I was down to 55%. End of day with normal wearing, minimal use, I was down to 13%. This is far more battery use than normal, than before this new OS.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Anyone experiencing or hearing about Watch battery drain problems with the new OS? My S7 watch battery is going much faster than normal since the update.

This morning, after a 45 min workout and 2 hours total wear time, I was down to 55%. End of day with normal wearing, minimal use, I was down to 13%. This is far more battery use than normal, than before this new OS.

Yeah, my series 6 watch is draining faster. Not impressed with the battery life of the 15 Pro either, in my first day of heavy usage.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I’m still wearing a Series 4 watch and haven’t noticed abnormal battery drain. It’s also the last gen before the always-on display so I wonder if it has something to do with that.

Robert Saccone

Premium
Give it some time there's typically a lot of background processing going on with a new OS drop and it kills the battery quickly. If it isn't a software or hardware issue it should get better in a couple of days.

On another note anyone finding the new default notification sound on the phone a little too subdued? I keep missing notifications and I haven't found a way to change it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Give it some time there's typically a lot of background processing going on with a new OS drop and it kills the battery quickly. If it isn't a software or hardware issue it should get better in a couple of days.

On another note anyone finding the new default notification sound on the phone a little too subdued? I keep missing notifications and I haven't found a way to change it.
Phone, yes definitely for first couple days.

WatchOS: it’s been a week and it’s a watch. There’s no search or indexing to run for multiple days. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I always carefully monitor the forums during beta software offerings. I did one of the earliest beta installs of iOS 17 and Sonoma on all my devices due to the very positive feedback it had received.

However, when it came to Watch OS 10, I held off installing the betas completely. The feedback from the earliest beta was that it drained the watch battery significantly faster. I had hoped by the time the official release date came, this would be an issue that would be resolved.

I can't say that my Ultra battery is draining any faster under OS 10. One of the major changes this OS has made to my watch is that it only charges 80%. This is a new feature Apple implemented last year to help optimize battery life and it can be changed in settings. It took longer for this change to be implemented on my watch. Some saw the change earlier.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I always carefully monitor the forums during beta software offerings. I did one of the earliest beta installs of iOS 17 and Sonoma on all my devices due to the very positive feedback it had received.

However, when it came to Watch OS 10, I held off installing the betas completely. The feedback from the earliest beta was that it drained the watch battery significantly faster. I had hoped by the time the official release date came, this would be an issue that would be resolved.

I can't say that my Ultra battery is draining any faster under OS 10. One of the major changes this OS has made to my watch is that it only charges 80%. This is a new feature Apple implemented last year to help optimize battery life and it can be changed in settings. It took longer for this change to be implemented on my watch. Some saw the change earlier.
I can't find the setting to disable the 80% max for optimized charging.

I disabled all widgets but that didn't seem to help with battery use. Will see how it goes this weekend.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Can you do a comparo with a prior iPhone from a year or two ago? Looking at that photo, it looks like any other iPhone pic I can snap with my 13PM. Nothing wrong with it, just can't tell what's improved. :)
I'm going to guess most of us traded in (or sold) our older iPhones, I know I did, so it's understandable that we can't do this for you.

There's plenty of sources on the YouTubes and Googles that will talk and even show the significant improvements over iPhones 2-3 generations older than the 15PM. But as always, YMMV, what is a "staggering improvement" for a photojournalist or professional videographer may be unnoticeable or minuscule for you.

If Sam's photo looks the same as any other pic you can snap on your 13PM, that probably tells you all you need to know about whether you should upgrade. For me the differences are quite noticeable from my 12PM even without a side-by-side comparison.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I can't find the setting to disable the 80% max for optimized charging.

I disabled all widgets but that didn't seem to help with battery use. Will see how it goes this weekend.
If you haven’t found it yet…

1. Open the Settings app on your watch.
  2. Scroll down, then tap Battery.
  3. Tap Battery Health.
  4. Turn off Optimized Charge Limit.
  5. Choose Turn Off Until Tomorrow or Turn Off.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was watching a review of the phone. Apparently, one of his standard tests is to put a moderate amount of pressure against the case and flex it on the longitudinal axis. One would expect a metal frame of titanium to be quite stiff, but it had quite a bit of flex. It cracked which made one think.what would happen you had the phone in your back pocket and sat on it.

The A17 chip on the i15 is supposed to be capable of cloud streaming Triple A games, one of the first ones being Final Fantasy VII Rebirth; however, there have been reports of it thermal throttling when Running Genshin Impact: a free-to-play game with a lot.less demanding workload than games like FF VII. Plus the max voltage was reduced so the chip isn't much faster than the chip in their last gen.

Apparently, a solution to the issue will arrive for the chip in next year's models.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was watching a review of the phone. Apparently, one of his standard tests is to put a moderate amount of pressure against the case and flex it on the longitudinal axis. One would expect a metal frame of titanium to be quite stiff, but it had quite a bit of flex. It cracked which made one think.what would happen you had the phone in your back pocket and sat on it.

The A17 chip on the i15 is supposed to be capable of cloud streaming Triple A games, one of the first ones being Final Fantasy VII Rebirth; however, there have been reports of it thermal throttling when Running Genshin Impact: a free-to-play game with a lot.less demanding workload than games like FF VII. Plus the max voltage was reduced so the chip isn't much faster than the chip in their last gen.

Apparently, a solution to the issue will arrive for the chip in next year's models.
Every year there’s much handwringing and fainting couches brought out over the plight of people who sit on their iPhones. I think the annual recommendation holds: don’t sit on your iPhone. :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

I'm going to guess most of us traded in (or sold) our older iPhones, I know I did, so it's understandable that we can't do this for you.
When I upgraded from 8 to 13 in 2021, my trade in wasn’t due for a few days after receiving the new phone so I was able to do a direct comparo. Was hoping folks had opportunity to do the same this year. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks