What's new

Help me spend some money! (1 Viewer)

JoeWV

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Shuttleworth
Ok, I have flipflopped several times on the plans for my new great room in my home addition.

I want a basic five speaker system with a powered sub and a good receiver, leaning toward Onkyo.

I would like to spend between $1200-$1500 for the package. What would you suggest in that price range and where to get it. I would love to listen to the speakers first, but that limits me to probably something from Best Buy, as that is the only showroom around here, besides Bose.

I want it for HD Dish Network, Blu-Ray and DVD, Ipod if possible and my kids gaming (xbox 360 and Wii).

Thanks in advance.

Joe

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Joe,

How big is your listening area (including any open floor plans to other rooms)? Getting adequate bass may be a problem with your budget depending on the dimensions.

Personally, with $1500 I would get this package with the PB12 sub and then get the best Onkyo or Denon receiver you can.

JoeWV

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Shuttleworth
Dave,

The room is about 18x20, catherdral ceilings and has a small walkway into the kitchen on the right side of the viewing area.

Nice looking setup, have not heard of the brand but will give it a look.

Thanks much!!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Joe,

One thought on the receiver front: since you specifically mention having a Wii in the mix, you may want to consider getting a receiver model that will convert analog video sources to output via HDMI. By doing so, you will be able to run all of your sources to the receiver (including the Wii which is analog/component video only), and run only a single HDMI cable from receiver to TV.

This is the way most of us prefer to have our systems configured - using the TV as nothing more than a monitor and having video and audio processed for all sources by the A/V receiver.

The analog-to-digital conversion is a feature that is not typically included in low-end models, but is becoming more common on mid-level gear.

Oh, and while I haven't personally heard any of the SVS speakers, either, I can certainly say that they seem to be LOVED around here and should definitely be considered.

Good luck!

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
My only comment, and it is what I did, would be to consider 3.1 right now. I spent $1700 on a nice Denon rcvr, a Klipsch 12” sub, 2 bookshelf and 1 center Definite Tech procinema speakers. What I found, in the same price range as you, that I wanted more than I could afford. A 3.1 setup is a great start; you get some great gear, and can add 2 more speakers later. I learned the hard way, by not buying better audio equipment the first go around. My only comment on Onkyo is, I had one first, and I prefer the Denon sound, and the lack of heat.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I know the guys at SV Sound well and they make quality products. Some of the best money you will ever spend on a set of speakers and if you don't like them you can always send them back for a full refund. One thing to consider is that they are as good to you after the sale as they are before. Give them a call and they will set you up with the right speakers without any oversell.

Denon, Onkyo and Pioneer make some very good receivers for the money.

Parker

JoeWV

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Shuttleworth
Thanks guys. Like the looks of the sv sound system. Any other speaker systems/sub in the $1000 range you would suggest?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks