What's new

Help me upgrade (AV Receiver, Sub/s, and advice) (1 Viewer)

CalebC

Grip
I currently have the following gear:
  • JBL Arena F27 and the JBL Arena C25; still the old Atlantic Technology 171 surround speakers.
  • Subwoofer: TIME to UPGRADE (I had atl tech 172 which kids ruined and a crappy free hand down JBL has a hold me over until I was ready to upgrade, which is now)
  • Receiver: TIME to UPGRADE (Denon E300 AVR just died)
  • Pioneer Elite 141FD Monitor (it's still kicking and hard to replace but will be replaced someday soon--no giant rush bc its calibrated and still phenomenal but I know the tech is passing it up)
  • of course Xbox and Bluray
  • i do also use appletv standalone for a lot of viewing and music.
Budget is $1500 - 2500.

Room is large: 15 by 20 feet and 15 foot vaulted ceilings. Its open and leads to another room behind it. Viewing is about 10-12 feet from screen and speakers with surrounds about 8 feet high and 12 inches behind viewing.

As you can see it is a very modest setup (I'm a teacher after all)..i have 2k-ish to spend on Sub/s and a Receiver.

I am having a tough time finding a receiver that is a good fit--any and all suggestions are welcomed--I really miss my first big purchase Integra receiver long ago but the Denon had seemed good enough.

For subs I'm aware of svs, hsu, and outlaw subwoofers but no idea really what I really should look to do (get 2 in the range of PB1000s now and call it a day or get 1xPB2000 range and look to expand on it later).

Any and all help is welcomed

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
If you got money to burn and a big room, you might as well go all in on Atmos.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So… you’re asking about sub(s) and a receiver at $2,500 or less.

Just clarifying.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The room will be your biggest limiting factor and practically rules out Atmos. I'm admittedly biased but I believe SVS offers the best overall performance vs value combination so I'd go with the largest single sub [minimum PB3000] you can afford for now and grab it's twin when funds are available. Not a great time to buy new AVR's so I'd be looking at previously owned options.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Also, I've become a real sealed sub convert, having moved from all ported to all sealed models.

Where SVS is concerned, don't think model line vs model line. Think price, because any given ported model is usually almost the same price, if not the exact same price as the sealed model in the next line up. For instance, the PB-2000 is the same price as the SB-3000. In that case, I'll take the SB-3000 every time. The step from 1000 to 2000 is $100 more, 3000 to 4000 is $200, but that's a big jump in performance, and the price difference between PB-4000 and SB-16 is $0. In every single case, I'd take the higher sealed model, but that's just me.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If you got money to burn and a big room, you might as well go all in on Atmos.
The room will be your biggest limiting factor and practically rules out Atmos.

Yeah, that 15ft vaulted ceiling... unless one's willing to do some additional reno work perhaps to allow the ceiling speakers to be installed much lower like 8-9ft...

Anyway, a $1500-2500 budget doesn't indicate having "money to burn"...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks